The next Dragon Age and Mass Effect will use Frostbite 3

It was revealed last night that Battlefield 4 will run on the next generation Frostbite Engine and now it's also been revealed that the next Mass Effect and Dragon Age will follow its lead.

BioWare Edmonton and Montreal general manager Aaryn Flynn tweeted out in response to many fans question regarding this subject, stating that "for everyone who's been asking at the BF4 reveal, the next Dragon Age and Mass Effect will run on the Frostbite 3 engine."

This is obviously fantastic news, well as long as the games match up to the no doubt impressive graphics that they'll have.

Edited On 28 Mar, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Hooray for lens flare!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Pretty sure this was confirmed before... the winner of the biggest non-story of the day goes to...
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
still hurting from ME3
Dragon Age is dead to me and I still haven't played Mass Effect 3
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'm like, 5 hours into ME2 and haven't touched it in a week. I will go back to it when I have more time. Never played Dragon Age, I don't intend to start now!
Play Dragon Age 1 TM it's a great game (PC version over the console)
The Frostbite engine is over rated I reckon, didn't think BF3 looked anything special, and NFS The Run looked like crap compared to Hot Pursuit.
The Frostbite engine does look good....... On PC
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
DA:O had a decent story, the combat system was awful and the graphics are very outdated. Dragon Age 2 improved the combat and graphics, but removed the story.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Frostbite is beautiful, if you use it on PC. On console it's not that big a jump from the FB1.5 that was used in Bad Company 2. It should never have been used in the run, it's a lighting based engine that promotes lens flare! Not good for an arcade racer! But, The Run was shite anyway! FB is leaps and bounds ahead of alot of other engines, IMHO, but it's an engine for style over substance. Especially being it's an EA owned engine!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i cant wait for dragon age 3, 1 was a lot better than 2, massive mass effect fan also so this is great news for me :D hope they look as sexy as they play.... im happy with recent gaming news to be fair
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I might try Dragon age at some point, but I am not an RPG player. I get frustrated and impatient at games like that! Mass Effect pushed me to my limit, I jumped into 2 too quickly I reckon and it just bugged me how slow things move in those kinds of games!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i admit RPGs can be slow starters but for me and its my opinion some of you ppl who dont like it, RPGs for me define my gaming life, they have given me the best experiances in my gaming life and nothing will change that, i cant wait to get my teeth into my next RPG after ive finished bioshock of course :D
That's a matter of opinion Johno I liked Dragon Age Origins combat better than the combat in Dragon Age 2
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Lens flare would work in a racer as long as you don't use snow because it makes the world look like brain rape
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'm a big fan of story nowadays, and as my gaming time decreases I like the games a little shorter (not COD short) 12-20 hours tends to be my limit unless it's something special (over 30 on Deus Ex and Dishonoured) but my first ME playthrough took 30 hours and while i enjoyed the story, it could have been shorter. I also lost a large part of my life to games like Everquest, I live terrified of falling into that kind of thing again. it wasn't fun! RPGs just don't do it for me nowadays.
I love RPG's they have been apart of my gaming life since I played Blaze and Blade: Eternal Quest back on the PS1 (god I loved that game)
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Mass Effect 1 story could have been shorter if you removed a large chunk of the Citadel rubbish.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
RPG games are great, but they have to snap me in and keep me there. ME managed to do that fairly easily. But Dragons Age just didn't grab me as quickly and so only managed to stay in my ps3 for about an hour or two.
I liked the ''Citadel rubbish''
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Considering how impressive BF4 looks, I'm interested to see how these turn out. Interesting note from DICE at GDC today as well where they mentioned that the Frostbite 3 engine won't be supporting Wii U...
We are back on the Wii U subject now. Awesome I never get sick of hearing about it
sam 4 years ago
People sayin frostbite 2 wasnt that big, well you clearly need to go back and re study. The implementation of unlimited light sources this is massive, you may not realise it but yeh. For people who dont understand the development can you please not slag anything off?
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Well, the Citadel had one good part referring to a Hanar as a big stupid jellyfish. I read a little of the DA wiki and now want to play DA2 again I think I might try and Platinum it this time.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I think it's less slagging off, and more saying it's over hyped! (Although I might be wrong) the problem is that unlimited lighting is impressive, if you use it right! No-one but DICE has managed to use it to it's full advantage. And EA spent so much money on it's development that it's getting shoe-horned into every game and the devs being forced to use it don't know how to use it. I mean come on! EA are forcing bioware to use FB2 for a COMMAND AND CONQUER game! WTF is that about? Also, I like slaging off to a point. It's an opinion that creates decent discussions and arguments! More of that please :)
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Is there an echo in here?
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
either that or a parrett... i cant decide!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
BRAAAK that or a parrot, that or a parrot
sam 4 years ago
anyway im looking forward to having C&C in frostbite 2 looks amazing the possibilites of having an RTS in a engine with such potential is great. You cant really overhype a game engine either since its an improvment so its going to be better?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Not necessarily. I would go so far as to say that a dev that knows how to use Unreal 3 (Epic, PCF) will make a prettier game than someone that can't use FB (visceral and Army of 23 for example)
Exactly ''A master working with the worst tools is better than a novice working with the best tools'' or something along those lines
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
I remember when dead space came out and ea said they wanted that engine to be like the unreal engine, and sell it to other dev's and for there games to use it but not much came from that. I remember godfather 2 using it but not any others except for dead space.
jumpurs's avatar
jumpurs 4 years ago
Will be good to see this running on next gen consoles at E3. And i guess it means Mass Effect 3 was a one off on Wii U then.
sam 4 years ago
Game engines arnt difficult to use, you just have access to different utilities, they all have the same basic aplliances, some just have more enhanced possibilites. So you can't really say "oh yeh but they sucked when they used this engine" the only Game engines that are different, are the ones for mobiles. developing in any engine is the same, so if they suck at using it, they suck at using any game engine.