David Hayter will not be lending his voice to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

This one is still a little hard to take in.

David Hayter, the voice actor of Solid Snake and Big Boss in the massive Metal Gear Solid series, has announced after many days of rumours that he will not be returning to the role in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Hayter, who announced the news over Twitter stated:

"On the December break, I came home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording sessions for MG:V were being put together.

But I didn?t hear anything about whether I'd be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn't be needing me" on this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that."

Hayter has been playing the role of Snake/Big Boss since 1998 and has been closely involved with every title since. He went on to thank the fans for all the support and praise he had time in his time with the role.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you?re making an impact.

And I love doing it.

There is currently an online petition asking for Konami and Kojima Productions to do a u-turn on the situation and bring back the David Hayter to the iconic voice role. I, myself, have signed it and I hope that you do too.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will release on PS3 and Xbox 360. Other platforms are currently unannounced at this moment.

Edited On 02 Apr, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i myself am gutted by this news, he has an amazing voice for the role, its a weird thing to say i know but his voice has a lot of emotions needed for the game and for me a great voice actor makes a great game, people may not agree, but i also love sam fishers voice in splinter cell is amazing! makes the game what it is in my eyes!
This was sad news when I found out a few days ago but as I understand Kojima said he wanted a completely fresh start for this game
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
wasn't this an april fools?
Afraid not it will be a bit hard hearing Snake have a different Voice Actor after all these years but that feeling pales in comparison to my anticipation for the games
Colin (News Writer)'s avatar
Colin (News Writer) 4 years ago
Afraid not Pyroloveridge :( It feels like I've lost something dear to me.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
yep, i signed the petition. While I'm not the biggest fan of the series any more, changing voice actors bugs me alot! Infamous and prototype both done it and it broke immersion for too long getting used to it!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
By the time 'The Phantom Pain' comes out, we are 9 years on from the situation in Ground Zero. Which'll mean that Solid Snake has indeed been cloned. So I'm figuring they are going to bump in to each other in future, mainly due to Hayter deleting a tweet when someone asked him if he'd reprising 'either' role. It would be daft as hell to have Hayter voice BOTH on screen at the same time, and Big Boss from MGS4 was voiced by the same guy who is voicing him now, so it's a good job really.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
As not the biggest fan of Metal Gear, It means little that he isn't continuing his role, but I understand people being a upset at this as I've had some of my favourite characters get new voices... They just aren't the same.
Exactly I don't like it as well, Ryan Drummond will always be the voice of Sonic is my eyes
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I read this, which seems logical
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Most likely it's because it's not the Snake we know. The end of the of the trailer states that 'V' is awake. Now put that into context, I is Naked Snake AKA Big Boss, II and III are Solid Snake and Liquid Snake, and IV is Solidius. Leaving V to be yet another Big Boss clone. At least that's what I think, and both Liquid and Solidius had radically different voices than Big Boss and Solid Snake.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
makes sense to me
Not a fan, but not a good move, ditching Michael Ironside killed Splinter Cell for me, gameplay changes didn't help either.
kilz0r's avatar
kilz0r 4 years ago
99% of people moaning about DH not being brought back to voice Big Boss will have forgotten all about it by the end of the prologue. I'm not happy about it and I feel that it was a tad disrespectful that DH wasn't forewarned that he wouldn't reprise his role, but I have total confidence in Kojima. I feel a bit sad for DH, though. He's doing very well with his other projects and doesn't need Big Boss/Snake for income by any means, but he seems genuinely upset that he won't be coming back. It's a shame but life goes on and so will Metal Gear.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I doubt Kojima would just bump Hayter completely and wait for him to find out through the internet, especially with Hayter just saying 'I've had a good run'. He's not going to be happy with a series he's been a part of for 15 years moving on without him, let alone finding out that way, plus Kojima is respectful enough to let a guy he's worked with for so long know he's no longer needed.
ArchaicInsanity's avatar
ArchaicInsanity 4 years ago
I am also a bit disappointed by this move, the one thing that puzzles me though is that although Kojima wants a 'fresh start', why is he still using Akio ?tsuka (the original Japanese Voice Actor) for Big Boss and ditching David Hayter?
The bottom line is that it's Kojima we are talking about, that man will just do whatever he wants and we just have to live with it
bunny_1's avatar
bunny_1 4 years ago
u cant have a MGS with out David!!! what are u thinking!!!