Nvidia - Next-generation of mobile devices will beat Xbox 360 and PS3 in power race

The senior vice president of content and technology over at Nvidia has said that mobile phones and other mobile devices will soon overtake the PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of technological power.

In an interview with Bit-Tech, Tony Tamasi said ?The PS3 and Xbox 360 are barely more powerful than mobile devices... The next click of mobile phones will outperform them,? referring to the chip generation that will follow the current Tegra 4, which is being used in the Nvidia Project Shield portable games console.

For comparison, both PS3 and Xbox 360 push out around 200GFlops of graphical clout. Tegra 4 manages 80GFlops while Nvidia?s latest PC GPU, Titan, shifts around 4,500GFlops.

Still with me? Or has your brain turned to a gigaflop?

Edited On 02 Apr, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
do mobile phones honestly need that much power its getting stupid! i use my phone for calls and txts and i still have a galaxy note 2 and im thinking why do i own this phone! i might use the net every now and again and the odd app but i think ive wasted my money getting this phone lol
I pity the people that send £200+ on a new phone each year it's really getting out of hand, The only thing is use my Iphone for is my music and the occasional phone-call and text. Why the hell would you need a Phone this powerful I wouldn't be surprised if they started shooting off Kamehamehas soon
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Your current phone probably has more processing power than the amount used during the moon landing.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
nothing better than having a controller in my hand and a 42 inch tv, these phone screens just dont cut it! who are they trying to kid?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
That's all well and good, but unless I can have a controller and attach it to my TV, I don't care. My phone currently has more processing power than my netbook, but i wouldn't use it to build websites etc etc etc. It's all subjective. Yes, it will be more powerful than a PS3, but will I be able to play battlefield 3 on it, online, in near perfect framerate? Probably not!
ASC's avatar
ASC 4 years ago
Most mobile devices don't need anything like that much capability. In this case the example given was project shield which gets data streamed from a PC and renders it, which actually needs some of this capability, but we won't likely be seeing such increase in regular devices as it would increase cost/battery drain for capability it doesn't use
Colin (News Writer)'s avatar
Colin (News Writer) 4 years ago
I use my iPhone 5 a lot and I'd be lost without it. I often tether it for internet use as I can get 4G speeds where I am. It's my link to the world in terms of social networks and games. I'm never more than a few seconds from finding out anything I need to. Last year at the Develop Conference and Eurogamer Expo it was a map, schedule planner and audio recorder to keep me in order with interviews and meetings. But does it really need to be more powerful than our current consoles? Seeing that they're 6/7 years old, I'd say so. Being able to render webpages at speed or multitask with ease is important.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Honestly if anything comes out now that is less powerful than a 7 year old machine is a massive oversight. Colin are you going to Eurogamer this year too?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'm very much the same with my OneX. For scheduling, internet, etc etc, it's excellent. And it was dead handy for eurogamer last year! But I fail to see the need for more power! Tethering is awesome, and I use it a fair bit (like getting my ipad online at work and avoiding firewalls) but any more power and it'll just be daft! Without a bigger screen it's just useless. and if the screen gets bigger, it'll just be an iPad!
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
you know what, in all fairness it would be nice to have a phone that can run PS1 games without much trouble. trying to run FF7 on my S3 is ok but I have to compromise on frame rate or sound to get it to work right
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
that's an optimisation issue though surely? The S3 is technically more powerful than the PS1
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
yeah that's what I thought too, just can't get the settings right for it and it's frustrating. maybe i didn't copy the game to an ISO properly, difficult to say really. Someone make it easier for me to play PS1 games on my phone!!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I use my phone all the time, and can't wait to upgrade to the HTC One. Better sound, better system and better graphics are always better, especially since I'll be paying the same price for it as I am my HTC Sensation XE. If it turns out that I'll have to pay £50 p/month for a phone, then that's just not worth it, but if it's as good as these HTCs and Samsungs are now for £32, I'm sorted.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Well, good luck getting Mobile phones to run something on the level of Gears of War 3 without the phone melting in your hands is all I can say. Nvidia's recent round of bitter sniping at consoles has been very amusing to see. After some of the crap they pulled, it was well deserved to see Sony and Microsoft give them the middle finger on the contracts for their new consoles.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
Mobile devices is where the future of gaming seems to be going. Disney are creating games for mobile devices now, and not consoles. The more powerful the console the bigger the game and the costs that go with it, it seems. I will probably get a next gen mobile device more so than a PS4 or a next Xbox