WiiU sees 125% sales rise in the UK

Retailers have announced that their recent home console, the Nintendo WiiU has recently seen sales jump 125% across the UK.

MCV has reported that a few retailers enjoyed the rise in sales over the past week, suggesting that price cuts from certain retailers, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and LEGO City Undercover have helped considerably.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate also managed to rack up nearly 50% of the total WiiU software sales for the week.

Edited On 02 Apr, 2013

Comments
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
With better Nintendo-only games and the massive price cut by retailers, I can see this being the main reason it's shot up.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
But I've been led to believe the WiiU has no games, how can this be?
Colin (News Writer)'s avatar
Colin (News Writer) 4 years ago
Everyone has bought a Wii U for LEGO City Undercover!
If I had the money I would have
Good news, I'd like to see kevin say something bad about that. Actually I wouldn't, in fact I'd be very happy if we never heard anything from kevin ever again.
weaselfierce's avatar
weaselfierce 4 years ago
Gotta say, I had little interest in the Wii U until the release of Monster Hunter. Ordered the bundle this week.
Marc 4 years ago
Didn't it turn out that the 125% still only ended up being about 5000? Plus it was helped by HMV practically giving them away.
I would hardly say £200 is giving them away
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Decent numbers, would like to see ninty do something to keep them selling well though.
A new IP would do just that but since this is Nintendo you never know what they will do
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
True. Only time will tell
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
According to Nintendo of France sales rose by 300% for the Wii U console. So looks like once the games are coming out it's doing better. Both Monster Hunter and Lego City charting is pretty good too. Although to be fair. The console sold poorly earlier. So a 125% increase simply looks good for the percentage lol. Nice to see other retailers state that the problem isn't the console but more the lack of advertisement and games.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Notice no actual numbers given? There's a reason for that, and that's because even with this boost hardware sales were still something like 3-4k for the week (Verified by people in the know posting on Neogaf btw), and it's a pretty similar story all across Europe (Even in France, which apparently has usually been the biggest Nintendo country in the EU for sales historically), which goes to show just how dire a situation the Wii U is in in Europe (And everwhere else from the looks of it) right now. Also, Monster Hunter on Wii U was selling well under 10k units for the week of launch, and that was around half total software sales for the console. That's significantly less than software totals on every other console for the week.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
NeoGaf as a reliable source? Yeah. No. GameFAQs is about as reliable. The point wasn't the sales but the fact that once the big games do come out the sales will come.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Neogaf has people with access to the actual sales figures posting on there, and extrapolation of figures of software sold by forum members lines up with their indications. Keep in mind that the Premium Wii U accounts for the vast majority of Wii U hardware units sold in the UK and UK software charts count software included as bundled in their numbers as well... recent estimates put the lower end of the UK top 40 numbers as barely being in the four figure category these days, and the fact that there's been no Nintendoland appearing in the charts leads to a fairly obvious conclusion. There's no denying here that was a miniscule rise to already miniscule sales figures regardless of how you spin it, and the fact that the effect on hardware moved has been so neglible considering there have been what? 6 or 7 Wii U games released over the past couple of weeks, some of which were supposedly "big" releases continues to paint a bleak picture of this console's immediate future at retail.
Why are you using your mouths to form words when there's cake to stuff in them?
kevin is from neogaf? Well that explains why he's such a tosser.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
6 or 7? You mean Lego City and Monster Hunter. That's two. 2 is a smaller number than 6. As far as I'm concerned if the companies are happy to say that it's went up by 125% (keep in mind this is the retailers saying this. Not Nintendo.) then it can only look good in that once the games come it will sell more. That's the point of this.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Just a couple more games. A killer app or two, and I'll buy a WiiU. If nothing else, so Gloria doesn't call me names!
When I can spare £200+ is when I'll get one
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
That reminds me. Not a Killer Ap per say but weren't we supposed to get Nintendo TVii months ago? I blame aunty beeb
I save the insults for those worthy of them troublemaker, so far they all seem to go to kevin ;)
Can I get some of the insult goodness. I feel left out
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
" 6 or 7? You mean Lego City and Monster Hunter. That's two. 2 is a smaller number than 6." - But those weren't the only two titles to come out over the past two weeks, those were just the only two to actually chart. There were several other releases like the Wii U versions of NFS Most Wanted and Walking Dead as well as some other assorted crud I can't recall off the top of my head. It's been the single biggest release period the console has had since it launched basically is my point and this is the best it managed. Also worth noting that during the period this jump took place is when HMV were slashing over a hundred quid off their stock of premium Wii U consoles nationwide.
lbs's avatar
lbs 4 years ago
Funny thing about the Wii U is.... it's sold more units in its 1st 4 months than the ps3 or 360 sold in their 1st 4 months... but because ninty makes games for everyone (meaning not just for the "cool" kids) it gets alot of heat..... Monster Hunter isn't my kinda game, but Lego City is alot of fun and a time eater!!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The Wii U was an almost global release, where as the PS3 released outside of Japan after 5 months? No idea what the Xbox sold.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
I bought mine with Monster Hunter + console bundle, plus then got Lego City Undercover.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Tony. Whats your username for it? Might be able to play some Monster Hunter sometime =3 Mine is Robichoico