Disney closes LucasArts, Star Wars 1313 & First Assault cancelled

Well...this is not good news.

Disney has announced that they have closed LucasArts and all publishing and developing wings of the company in an order to move to a licensing model.

Here's the official statement on the matter from Disney:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

According to a source close to Kotaku, 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects - Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313 have been cancelled.

Edited On 03 Apr, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I honestly can't believe this. So many great games came out of LucasArts, and Disney close them down? Sad times. I shall reinstall Full Throttle and dig out my NES copy of Star Wars to play in your honour. Hope the guys there find work elsewhere.
WTF!!! Disney all I can say is What the Hell
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Makes no sense whatsoever.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Damn. That sucks. All those jobs gone. Part of me is sad for them. But the company itself has been bleh for the past few years imo. Gone were awesome series like Super Star Wars and Rogue Squadron. Does this mean no more Monkey Island too?
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
seriously disney i hate you! You suck major ass! wtf! makes no sense in the slightest
Also I don't know how Star Wars 1313 was a risky business venture since it would of added more lore the the universe and made them their money back Ten-Fold
Afrododger's avatar
Afrododger 4 years ago
To me, it kinda sets the tone of what Disney will do to the Star Wars franchise as a whole... 1313 was one of the best looking and designed SW games in recent years, and it's a real shame to hear it was cancelled :(
After thinking about it this could be a good thing for people who want a KOTOR 3 (Myself included) since Obsidian have expressed a interested in making it in the past (Feel sorry for the people laid off and I hope they find work soon)
Rotukai's avatar
Rotukai 4 years ago
This is a great shame. Lucas Arts made fantastic games such as Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and other epic titles. As others have already stated im also concerned about what Disney will do to the Star Wars movies if they feel that canceling 1313 is a good move.
Xtracrispi's avatar
Xtracrispi 4 years ago
wow what a waste!!!!
cthragyaska's avatar
cthragyaska 4 years ago
This is terrible news, LucasArts have made some of the most memorable games I've played. 1313 looked amazing at E3. Boo to you Disney I say. Boo.
Not bothered, there's not been a decent Star Wars game in years. Give us a new Rogue Squadron or Battlefront and then I'll be interested in a Star Wars game.
What about KOTOR Gloria. I want a new one to finish the story for Revan and The Exile
I could never really get in to it, same with the Jedi Knight games, which were decent enough, just not my thing. Bounty Hunter and Republic Commando were a couple of one offs I enjoyed, but can't see them getting a sequel after so long.
Bounty Hunter not so much but Republic Commando was amazing and the Jedi Knight were Ok-ish
JASON 4 years ago
This is awful news! They had at least one of the games which would have sold huge numbers. Star Wars 1313 was a sure thing with the right advertising. On the plus side, if EA get a licence, KOTOR 3, Republic Commando 2 etc could be on the cards. I for one want KOTOR and I'm sure Bioware will be game for it ;)
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
It's a logical move at the end of the day. LucasArts much have been bleeding money and haven't really had a successful in years. But still, I lost most of my younger years to games like Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, my gut reaction is still to say "Bollocks to Disney!"
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
If EA picked up a SW license they could make a Bounty Hunter or Republic Commando game similar to that of the Mass Effect franchise in terms of combat and size.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
^ Funny, 1313 did look great shame it won't see the light now. mind you they said that about Colonial Marines too then 6 years later we get the greatest game to have ever graced a console...
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Also Duke Nukem Forever.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i was also really looking forward to 1313 so that angered me and the fact lots of people are now jobless! but if a KOTOR is on the cards ill be happy with that but still full of hate towards disney :@ im not taking my kids to disney land now not putting money in your pockets!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I honestly thought that Disney were going to be a good thing for Lucas Arts but I'm just so disheartened about this, 1313 looked like a hot IP I mean I guess it didn't fit with Disney family friendly attitude but it is what Star Wars needed. The Force Unleashed gave us new insight into the SW universe that it wasn't all fun and games then the second one was scrapped half way during production and we got a bastardised game
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
god the second was awful, another game I got the collectors for and then regretted it
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
u love a good shit collectors edition dont you pyro lol
Colin (News Writer)'s avatar
Colin (News Writer) 4 years ago
Morning all. I don't think this changes too much really. In recent years, LucasArts had taken to licensing out the SW games to other developers. Kinect Star Wars was (mostly) made by Terminal Reality, The Old Republic by BioWare. The only this this really changes is no more internal development...which, let's be honest, hadn't been a shadow of it's former self for many years now. I imagine the internal development team was just haemorrhaging money in recent years. I imagine 1313 will live on, perhaps in the hands of Epic Games or someone similar.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
is that insider knowledge or a stab in the dark?
Colin (News Writer)'s avatar
Colin (News Writer) 4 years ago
Losing money? An educated guess. The Force Unleashed 2 was an expensive flop and the internal team hadn't released anything in two and a half years. Work on 1313 had pretty much ground to a halt late last year. And releasing 2 main titles in 8 years can't be financially beneficial for any company. (Not counting the Monkey Island remakes)
Samuel 4 years ago
im not believing any of this till next month, fed up with these april fools carrying on
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Who carries on April fools jokes 4 days after the noon deadline for them?
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
yanks do, they get the full day
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 4 years ago
Well if doesn't make money.. sales didn't pay the development cost?