Rumour - The Next Xbox actually needs an internet connection to start games

Another day, another next gen rumour.

Last night, Kotaku revealed that two different sources had said to them that the next Xbox will actually require an internet connection to start games.

"Unless something has changed recently....Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time - currently three minutes, if I remember correctly - the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

That is a big move if true. Remember, it's just a rumour at this stage and should not be considered anything but. It might be the case that Microsoft development kits require a constant connection to stop/cut down on anything leaking.

Thanks Kotaku

Edited On 05 Apr, 2013

Comments
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
'If I remember correctly' - Basically, if you really did have information on this, you'd know for sure really.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
It is currently like this for downloaded games on 360, If you lose internet connection it gives you 10 minutes to log in to your profile.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
wounder! three minutes without a connection and it stops your game... That sounds fun
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
http://imgur.com/fulDo2f This just fills me with confidence in Microsoft.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Nope, don't buy it for a second.
Even Microsoft aren't this stupid
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
funny pic Johno
Colin (News Writer)'s avatar
Colin (News Writer) 4 years ago
Remember guys, it might just be for anti-piracy matters. Each development kit will have a serial number allowing MS to track it no matter where it is. If someone accesses it from an unauthorised location MS could, in theory, easily track it and block access to it. It's a good way of preventing any leaks by keeping an eye on all development kits. RUMOURS YAY!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
doesnt bother me in all fairness cause its not a concrete fact!
I'll wait for an official announcement before I bother to get bothered.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
be a bit of a bummer for me if it does turn out to be true though, as i work away a lot i take the Xbox with me. I can't always get on-line in hotels
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 4 years ago
The more negativity that comes out around the new Xbox, the more I think that it could be the work of Sony's PR department. It seems as though everyone is ready to jump on anything and everything to do with 'next box' at the moment.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Sony's PR department? The only people I could see benefiting are Microsofts department if this turns out to be false. If everyone is looking at the negatives and such of the Nextbox, then Microsoft come out with 'nah, that's bull, THIS is how we're doing stuff' then it puts them in a lovely light.
Apnomis's avatar
Apnomis 4 years ago
I don't believe any of these rumours about an always on connection, installing all games to HDD, and not being able to play 2nd hand games - mainly because the PS4 has already been revealed to have none of these requirements. If Microsoft come out now with all these over the top restrictions as to when and where you can play their console and what you can play on it then they will basically be self-destructing and handing the next gen to Sony on a platter - even some of the most ardent Xbox fanboys would turn their back on Microsoft... Even if at some point in development they were toying with this idea, they would have taken one look at Sony's PS4 announcement and scrapped it. That is the downside of showing your hand first, on the one hand you get the early hype, on the other hand it gives the competition time to tweak their plans to upstage you. Maybe when the Xbox is revealed it will have video sharing features, but who is to say they were going to do that before watching the PS4 do it? There will always be that doubt that they just copied ideas, which I suppose is ultimately why announcing first is the better move as long as you have enough faith in your product. If Microsoft were considering banning 2nd hand games and requiring an always on connection then no wonder they didn't want to announce the new Xbox first!
Marty 4 years ago
If comments from Microsoft Studios Creative Director are anything to go by, this could well turn out to be true - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-14555-Microsoft-Creative-Director-Defends-Always-Online-Tech-Following-Latest-Xbox-720-Rumours.html The guys arrogance & ignorance are abundantly clear here - glad I'm a PlayStation gamer!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I won't get angry or annoyed at this yet. I'll wait for the official announcement. But if it's true, I won't buy one. As much as I want one!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i dont see the issue even if it is true, i know it sounds stupid but clearly they have to have a proper reason why they are doing it again if its true, wait for that magic work official, which is due 26th april if im not mistaken!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Proper reason or not, if it's true, it limits my options. The internet where I live sucks! I have constant DCs because it keeps dropping out. If i need a stable connection to even start games up, the xbox 3 will simply be a large paperweight for me. And I live in the city, it's not even the worst internet in the country!
Marty 4 years ago
Kiki, do you not recall the fiasco that was the SimCity launch just a few weeks ago?! - all down to the always online requirement. Its a simple fact that the broadband infrastructure in the UK is poor at best and, for lots of people living in rural areas, its is non-existent. So as troublemaker says, you are then left with what is effectively a £400 paperweight! It is mental to even be considering an always online requirement for a console just now. This could be a deal breaker for an awful lot of people.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
its a fair point marty and tm! i totally agree with you ive got 30meg BB which constantly DCs so i agree but are MS that stupid?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I don't think they are. And the conspiracy maniac in me is convinced that it's MS putting this garbage out so they can look like heroes on announcement day! Still. The idea of it being there is enough to put my back up! Oh, and 30Mb? I dream of that. my speedtest last night was 1.7!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i pay for 30mb i get like 18 lol on speedtest on a good day lol! but that is a great and interesting point TM MS doing it to come out looking amazing, bold strategy if it pays of in all fairness
Mine is 3.85 Mbps I can only dream of 30Mbps until BT get off there backside and put Fibre in my area (The whole county has it but my area)
Marty 4 years ago
Shep, I think that they might be! Yeah, these are just rumors just now, but they are coming from sources that are usually pretty reliable. I've had a look at a few xbox forums and they are raging to say the least about it all!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Yep, Milton keynes is the same. most of the city has fibre. most of the areas that don't can get 22 from the copper (i used to before I moved) my estate is the only one that doesn't have it, AND IT'S A NEW BUILD! it's 2 years old FFS!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i think MS will see people raging about this and say dont do it if they are planning 2, if fans dont want it they surely cant do it, or they will lose so many customers, even loyal 1s!
I live in a New Build too, It just don't make sense
Microsoft are arrogant twits and will do whatever the hell they want to and basically if you don't like it tough cookies
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I live in a New Build, and the way its going it looks like I'll be connected to an old BT line rather than the newer one that's closer. Bleugh. But anyway, One of MS employees posted up a 'Deal With It' in response to someone from Bioware talking about it or something alike.
See 'Arrogant twit'
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Ruh roh... looks like this story is exploding across the media big time after the MSG creative director went on a pretty dickish Twitter rant about how stuff should always be online all the time.