Tech Blogger suggests 99 dollar Xbox 360, and November release for new Xbox

Technology blogger Paul Thurrott has took to the internet to claim that Microsoft had considered releasing a disc-less version of its next console, although that idea was soon scrapped.

"We have talked for a while about this notion that there might be another version of the Xbox that was just aimed at entertainment, a non-gaming device," he said on the What The Tech podcast, "That device was code-named 'Yumo' and they're not making it. They may make one in the future, but it's not happening this year."

Thurrott also went on to say that when the new Xbox that comes out this year it will simply be named "Xbox," something which we have suggested before. Furthermore, he also claims that Microsoft are "also going to sell a new Xbox 360 code-named 'Stingray' that will be $99."

"You might look at that as two things: backwards compatibility, obviously, suggesting 'I don't actually know this for a fact', but based on the fact that they're making one, I don't think that the new Xbox will play 360 games. But that I don't actually know." Thurrott said of the new console.

"But, the other one is that, $99, that's a real cool price. And so we know that the Xbox 360 does Netflix, Hulu Plus, yada yada yada, and you can make the argument that's kind of a low cost entertainment device, too."

Of the new console, Thurrott said that it's "going to be expensive," suggesting a price of around "$500, or $300 for the subscription model." He did add that they're going to announce it May 21st with a November release being on the cards.

"I think there's a lot information to come, but I look at all this stuff that I've seen about Durango and I think, 'it's all positive', I don't really see any bad news here at all. Like to me, everything I've seen about this is really positive.

"It's amazing to me that, based on like no information at all, everyone is like freaking out about everything. Aside from this online thing, by the way, the number one question I've gotten from people is, 'What does it look like?' Who gives a shit what it looks like?

"I've actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who've said, 'based on what I've seen, Sony is going to blow them away.' Based on what you've seen? You've seen nothing. What are you talking about? No, but you've seen literally nothing from Microsoft."

Edited On 08 Apr, 2013

Comments
It could look like -Insert Name Here- and I still wouldn't get it if it's always online
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I'm hoping I don't have to make the switch as i prefer my xbox at present, however these rumours just get worse.. I don't want an entertainment console i want a god damn games console
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Always on still sounds like they are going to push LIVE adverts at you depending on what you play/buy/eat/read on the toilet/masturbate to/sell on ebay but then still charge an extortionate subscription to get the privilege of these adverts.
Lol at number 5
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
"Aside from this online thing, by the way, the number one question I've gotten from people is, 'What does it look like?' Who gives a shit what it looks like?" - Truer words...
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Considering every console has boiled down to being 'a box' in appearance sometimes even a pretty box with rounded edges is still a freaking box. Until the generation where it looks like a pineapple I have no interest in what it looks like.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
wtf is the point in that honestly!! these rumours are getting worse, i love my 360 more than ps3, but i will be switching if these rumours or official announcements dont improve big time!
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I think I'm gonna miss my gamerscore... :)
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
thats another thing my xbox live dont run out until march 2014! will they be carrying this over and my gamerscore, i cant be starting all over again lmao
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I have LIVE gold until January, so I just need to get my fill of online MP on my 360 by then... gonna miss not being able to play ME3 though
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
not keeping your 360 johno, giving mine to the kids so i can still go back to it if i ever fancy it!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I have no exclusives for 360, and without having Gold it is a little useless as even the SP stuff I would want to go back to play have DLC that, I'm not certain, needs to be online to play. Mass Effect trilogy is the only thing that holds me to current gen and I have that on both consoles (love it that much)
My Live Gold runs out September, don't think I'll bother renewing it till I know what I'm doing next gen, I rarely play online anyway.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
to busy with that postman!
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
It would slightly surprise me if Microsoft did announce the next xbox on May 21st because it would be so close to E3, roughly 3 weeks apart. Thought Microsoft would announce the next xbox closer to the end of April. But at the moment these are just rumours.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Sony announced PS4 just before GDC, MS will go just before E3 easy way to keep the hype train going and can use E3 to show off more Usher and fist bumps.
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
It's going to be one expensive year! I hope they have some enticing launch titles with the 360 no games made me want to buy it. It was purely for the "I own a new Xbox" factor.
Rondo Machete's avatar
Rondo Machete 4 years ago
For me the always on feature makes it a no way for me,we don't have the best Internet even though we pay for fibre and also it does go down sometimes and I'm not ever going to pay for something that is totally useless without the net and will just sit there until it comes back on....so forget it,I'm a PS4 all the way,it's going to be the best out of the two from what I've read and developers are saying its a dream system to work with and that's enough for me unless they say different on the reveal...