Dev says thatgamescompany's next title will change industry

Asher Vollmer, one of the developers behind Journey and Flower thinks thatgamescompany's next title will change the games industry. Who'd bet against it?

Vollmer has actually left the company now, however he has nothing but praise for the game he's leaving behind.

"The New Game they're making isn't just something that you can casually abandon. Obviously I can't divulge any details about it, but It's going to be huge," he wrote in a blog post.

"And I don't mean it's going to be a long sprawling game, I mean it's going to be an important game. I genuinely believe it's going to change the industry in a really positive way.

Vollmer continued to go on to praise the game, although he also revealed that it's a long way off at this time.

"The Game is going to be incredible, but it is moving slowly. There are years remaining on the project and, quite frankly, those are years I don't want to give up for a game that isn't truly mine," he said.

Well that all sounds rather exciting.

Edited On 09 Apr, 2013

Comments
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I REALLY like thatgamescompany's name
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Interesting! IIRC, TGC's exclusivity contract with Sony is up, and they expressed an interest in going multiplat. Which is nothing but good news for XBox and PC players. Journey wasn't to everyone's taste, but it was an amazing game!
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
that's a bold statement though.. do you two just talk through Shopto or do you converse in real life discussing what comments you will write next?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
nah, we sit across from eachother, only talking through the internet. The same way all the kids do!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Once again, he is just sitting there giggling to himself.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
It is indeed a bold statement. BUt if past games are any kind of yard stick, I would say it's a believable one.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
bold statement but i think its also a very confident 1 which they have good reason to state, top company why not have top confidence! bring it on i say
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Developers really shouldn't make grandiose claims like that, but I guess it's hard to fault their confidence after how well received Journey has been. Considering that Journey had the most seamlessly integrated online co-op system I've ever seen in a console game I do think the capability is there for them to do something special at the very least.
Midgar_zolom's avatar
Midgar_zolom 4 years ago
After reading this my immediate reaction was that i could not imagine their next game changing the industry but after a little thought i think it could be possible. I loved Journey, by no means is it one of the best games i have ever played but it is a game that has made a little space in my consciousness where i find myself thinking about it from time to time. The incredible way they managed to infuse so much emotion and passion into a game with no dialogue is artistically brilliant, however my best experience with the game came from teaming up with other online random players which seemed to amplify the experience, one player messaged me after we finished the game just saying "wow that was amazing" and it was. If Thatgamecompany can reproduce an experience like this whilst producing something that feels like a breath of fresh air the worlds games industries would have to stand and take notice which can only lead to better things in the future for everyone, and besides everyone knows best things come in 3's.