Xbox LIVE downtime not caused by a hack

You may have noticed that Xbox LIVE had an outage at the weekend, causing the service to be down for a long period of time. Well, this morning Microsoft has moved to cure fears that the outage was cause by a hack.

Speaking to Videogamer, a Microsoft rep confirmed the cause of the download, saying that it was due to a networking misconfiguration during routine maintenance", and that it was "in no way related to false claims of hacking the service."

There is currently a lot of debate surrounding online services, specifically Microsoft's rumoured 'always on' next Xbox. It makes you wonder how people would feel if the next console should go down in the same way and all of a sudden people found themselves with a console that wouldn't play games.

Edited On 16 Apr, 2013

Comments
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
Good. The outage didn't bother me too much as I rarely play online games. However, I do get the feeling that if Microsoft choose to release a console that needs internet to even play most single player games then I can see them being a target of hackers just to prove a point. I wouldn't want a repeat of the PSN thing! But it's good that this downtime was just overnight and wasn't too bad!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I didn't even know there was an outage.
I did it stopped my plans to stream snipe on Dark Souls
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Didn't really effect me either, agree with Cathe though; Its clearly going to be a target now
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
outrage is a bit O.T.T i mean people were annoyed yeah but i wouldnt say outraged, it happens, in the words of the orth lol, deal with it! least it isnt a common occurance
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
To be fair though, it IS a premium rate P2P online service and any unannounced downtime, no matter how rare or brief (And keep in mind this was primarily during the weekend... peak usage time for the service) is pretty unacceptable if there isn't going to be compensation offered.
Oh compensation I like compensation expectantly when I do not give a rat's ass
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
It didn't bother me, I just went on my PS3 and played some One piece: Pirate Warriors. But this did go to show that they are in fact not ready for the always online thing.