Nintendo retails boss explains why they keep returning to existing franchises

Nintendo director of product marketing Bill Trinen has explained in a new interview why the company continues to return to its existing franchises.

Speaking with Gamespot, Trinen gave some interesting information into the thinking of Nintendo as a company.

"There's a couple of driving reasons why you keep seeing a lot of the same franchises come back," Trinen said. "One is just the way that we develop games. What we don't do is start off and say we're going to develop a new game in X series or what are we going to do with it? It's really more about what is a fun and interesting new gameplay element or gameplay mechanic? How do we develop that? And then what kind of a character or what series is that really best suited to?"

"And so, in a lot of the cases, if you've got an idea that's really fun and really interesting, pairing that with, for example, Mario, then that takes a fun and interesting gameplay mechanic and puts it with a character that makes it instantly appealing to a very wide range of people," Trinen said.

Trinen also went on to say, that if the fans want a new game from one of its popular series', then that's what Nintendo try to deliver.

"Of course the other approach is, as you frequently see with Nintendo Directs and announcements like this, when we do announce something like a new Yoshi's Island, there's a tremendous fan reaction to that because they want it [laughs]."

Edited On 19 Apr, 2013

Comments
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
So basically because you have no new ideas?
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
Basically, yeah lol
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
xD In all seriousness, it would be nice to see them use all those years of experience on something totally different. Continuing the way they are just makes it seem like they're playing it ridiculously safe.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
It's not that Nintendo aren't making new IPs. (Pushmo/Crashmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Steel Diver etc.) it's just when they do new IPs nobody bothers playing them and instead complain about how Nintendo only rely on the same old. There's probably been more new IPs from Nintendo in the last 10 years than most other developers lol Which I feel the 2D Mario series needs to be rested for a while. But I don't think anyone cannot give them credit for trying new things and experimenting. Look at Zelda for example. We had Ocarina which is traditional, Majora's Mask which was trying out a whole slew of new things, The connectivity between the Oracle games. Cel Shading for Wind Waker, Four Swords for the 4 player thing and first hints of the Wii U gamepad. Twilight Princess was first to toy with Motion Controls, the DS games to try and make best of the touch screen. Skyward Sword again going really for the Motion Controls. Only really Minish Cap and likely LTTP2 which is gonna play like the older ones. If they are gonna change things up like that while still making quality titles then I'm all for it.
I don't mind so much Mario, as it's always good, but for gods sake Nintendo, make a new Starfox and F-Zero.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
It would be nice if Nintendo did try something completely different every once and a while. I know people buy Nintendo consoles for Mario etc, but I don't see any harm in them trying something completely different and see how it goes.
Also isn't Fatal Frame/Project Zero co-owned by Nintendo now? (Think I remember reading that ages ago)
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
What are you expecting Spear? You want Nintendo to do something different.....aside from Nintendo games? And completely different from the normal....Like....a Wii?
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I wasn't talking in terms of consoles. I was thinking in terms of games. The Wii and Wii U are completely different to xbox 360 and ps3, but their games don't represent the same innovation or difference as the console does. Its just Mario and Luigi iterations year after year.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
So, as long as the cow is giving milk, however powdered it may be, you're not gonna get a new cow. Fair enough
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
As long as the games are good. Then I'll buy. If they are as bad as NSMB2/U then I won't. Simples. I'd rather have a good unique Zelda than a game unchanged from the start
To be fair most of the games have new ideas and all that but just use the same characters
Frimelda Lotice's avatar
Frimelda Lotice 4 years ago
Why no Drill Dozer 2 Nintendo/Game Freak? ;___;
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I dont even think we got Drill Dozer 1 in the UK lol. At least I didn't see it. Would be nice if they even re-released that on the virtual console. They could do a whole thing with it. Plenty of games I wanna see get a new installment. Just Dance can constantly come out, how about Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents? Startropics is overdue too. As is F-Zero, Punch Out, Starfox and Mach Rider. Chibi-Robo and Odama are both great titles from late gamecube that got skipped on by most people. How about new ones of those (Although Chibi Robo does still have a few.)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The thing that annoys me is that they put good quality series on the shelf, and release 15 Mario titles per year. Give me more Fire Emblem and Metroid first.
F-Zero and Starfox are both long overdue, in the case of F-Zero I'd be happy with just an HD remake of GX like they're doing with Wind Waker.
theadj's avatar
theadj 4 years ago
I'd rather Nintendo keep bringing out their old games with new features rather than new games with old features. Half the ps3 and 360 games I've played recently seemed a little stale. Would like to hibernate for a few months though so I have a few more wii u games to play, he's feeling a little neglected right now.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Was expecting the article to be literally one word when I clicked on it: "Money!"
H84's avatar
H84 4 years ago
People will complain whatever Nintendo do. Make new ips and people will complain they want Mario and Zelda, make those and then people want new ips. Spend time making games and people moan there are no games to buy, release new titles and people suddenly complain of being overloaded with games. I'm just looking forward to E3. We'll really see what Ninty are cooking then.
Frimelda Lotice's avatar
Frimelda Lotice 4 years ago
Yeah, we never got the first DD game but from Youtube impressions, I would love to see what they could do with it! :D