Heavy Rain made Sony 100 million dollars

Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain has grossed 100 million dollars for Sony since its release.

Speaking in a keynote speech at the Digital Dragons games festival in Poland, as reported by Games Industry, co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumiere revealed the figures after using them as an example in his talk.

"Let's say it's 22 million dollars to produce [Heavy Rain]," de Fondaumiere said. "With marketing it's maybe 30 million. With distribution, 40 million. Sony earned 100 million dollars with the game, so it's very profitable. It's the sort of margin that most publishers would strive for, for any game."

de Fondaumiere also revealed ThatGameCompany's Journey, also managed to turn a profit, although he stopped short of revealing any figures, "We should stop thinking that innovation rhymes with unprofitable," he said of Journey.

What do you think of this news? Do you feel Heavy Rain deserved to be so successful? We certainly do.

Edited On 22 Apr, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
well deserved i only just recently played the game when i finally got my hands on a ps3! and it was worth the wait, amazing games, i cant wait for beyond two souls which i believe is from the same people? seen the actors/actresses lined up for that and im really excited for it!
Maccaria's avatar
Maccaria 4 years ago
never got the love for this game, altho I didnt give it too much time, probably played 2-3 hours and just found it dull
craig_clydeFC's avatar
craig_clydeFC 4 years ago
Heavy rain is definitely the most in depth game I have played. Few games can draw the player in now days I have noticed, so I hope heavy rain can be looked at by the ps4 game developers (especially quantic dream), as something to build upon. It isnt a 100% perfect game, but it done the job and done it well. Glad it made big bucks because its well deserved!
H84's avatar
H84 4 years ago
I found it a bit bland to be honest. A good experiment though, I hope other studios push out games like this but take it further on the next gen.
Niall 4 years ago
Sony are really good at making a profit from these types of games, they very rarely sell more than 6 or 7 million and always have amazing production values yet they constantly make a great profit. Square Enix.....take notes.
James 4 years ago
Fellow Gamers! Please complete my survey (2-3 mins to complete) http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZDY7FWK Thanks to all who complete my survey! J
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Heavy Rain was ok for the first run. Maybe second After that it was just bland. It was something I bought once but would never buy another title like it again.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Class game really. Fact it had so many different variations of the story was good. Putting it on harder difficulty made it atleast challenging too.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Really well put together title despite some plot holes resulting from gameplay elements being removed at the last minute. Good that games like this can do well, and the recent success of Telltale's Walking Dead shows that the market is still pretty hungry for this type of game.
Marty 4 years ago
Heavy Rain defo deserved to make a good chuck of profit, it was a great game! s craig said, very few games engage you on an emotional level the way that Heavy Rain did. I cant wait to get my hands on Beyond later in the year.
Solidus 5nake's avatar
Solidus 5nake 4 years ago
Heavy Rain is arguably my fave game on the PS3, love that game. The choosing how to chop your finger off scene always sticks out for me, I dont think I've played such an emotionally charged game, only Telltales Walking Dead comes close for me in that respect. I cant wait for Beyond Two Souls either, that looks like it could be even better :)
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Definitely one of the best 5 PS3 games as its nice to have something a bit different. I can understand the people that don't want to play it more than once. It's best to think of it as a great film or novel that you enjoy while you are in it. Cannot wait for Beyond, but imagine I will be let down as I am by most things I have high expectations for. Hello Bioshock Infinite.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
One hundred million dollars!!!! Now this is where sonys hype machine works very well isnt it, I like the idea of original and innovative gaming (something sony do far more readily than our friends at microsift) but I thought heavy rain was just depressing 5hit!!! It was almost like playing the game version of chris martin and coldplay, glad it made the big bucks as this will hopefully mean that these big bucks will be put back into other original and innovative games I just hope although I bet we get heavy rain 2 or heavy rain redone or something
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I think they're making a game called Remember Me. I would be interested in seeing how much profit other games made.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
$100 million for console-exclusive game as well, very impressive. For some reason I always thought it didn't do well commercially? Shows what I know.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
KingToAD's avatar
KingToAD 4 years ago
loved playing the game, if i didn't have so many others i would play it again!