Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection confirmed by Konami

Konami has confirmed the existence of the Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection, which will arrive exclusively for the PS3 in June.

The Korean ratings board had previously outed the collection which includes: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 HD, Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (including the MSX versions), Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions and Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition. Two Ashley Wood digital graphic novels are also included.

Look out for pre-order details soon.

Edited On 23 Apr, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Seems like blatant milking to me. Obviously I'm not most people, but I would assume most people that wanted the MGS games already own the HD collection and 4 (Trophy edition? huh? it's a patch) and MGS1 and VR missions are PS1 classics, harly worth laying out cash for them on PS3, let's be honest.. I know I'm just being negative, but it seems like Sony/Konami/Kojima are simply cashing in on fan and brand loyalty.
gdlion's avatar
gdlion 4 years ago
Technically it's the 25th anniversary edition of mgs4 which also includes some minor stuff.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Such as? Outside of different box and the trophy patch, I didn't think there was any difference between the copy I own, and the 25th anniversary edition assuming I'm all patched up.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i agree with TM totally milking it just to get that extra bit of cash! i mean if people buy this it could be the 3rd time they have brought the same game! totally pointless but people will buy it
I'll buy it just so I can have a copy of Metal Gear Solid 1 on a Blu-ray disk also I want the Graphic Novels (Anymore than £25 and the deal is off)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I could get it for MGS1 on blu-ray too. It's perfect timing to get them out before MGS V arrives.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I wouldn't bank on them being Blu-rays. Can't the PS3 play the old prop. PSX discs?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
You can get it on PS Store, but other than that, the PSX discs don't work I don't believe.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
They do http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Technical-Help/Can-a-Super-Slim-play-PS1-games/td-p/17474192
But the PS3 has some emulation problems and I hope it does come on a Blu-ray since PSX disk were crap
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
those bad boys were indestructible! Some bastard put a fag out on my Destruction Derby disk and it still played. Yeah, the emulation was an issue with some games, and I'm not sure if MGS fell into the games that had problems. It would really concern me laying out money for something I can buy off Ebay for 2 quid!
Bonesinferno's avatar
Bonesinferno 4 years ago
I am a huge MGS fan, And I probably will buy this but I see what a lot of people mean about buying the same game over and over again. I was hoping by the artwork of MGS1 Snake that there was a HD MGS1 remake in there but not to be it looks like. Probably still get it though
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Sounds like it should make for a nice collector's item if priced correctly. I'm rolling my eyes at some of the faux indignity on display here though. No one is under any obligation to buy this collection and it's a perfectly sensible move to release a box set of their games... you know, like so many other companies these days (for recent example see EA's Mass Effect trilogy box set). As to the MGS4 updated disc, it's nothing more than the original game with the patch added features (Trophies, full install option) pre-installed, yes. If nothing else it saves having to download the patch, which is like 500mbs isn't it?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'm not saying anyone is obligated to buy. But you have to admit, MGS fans are crazy and will buy the games over and over again. Getting all excited for MGS5 will make sales of this go through the roof. I'm just saying it's unnecessary and blatant milking not just of the franchise but the wallets of the fans. It's a bit like constant er-releases of Marvel films, or star trek boxsets, etc etc, these things all have the kind of fan base that will spend the money over and over again because the thing has been re-issued in a slightly prettier box. You're a collector, cool, fill your boots, but I just don't see the need. And I'd be saying the same thing of any franchise that I was a huge fan of. And let's not forget, the ME trilogy did serve a purpose. It was the first time, and still the only way, of getting ME1 on PS3 in disc form.
CatFromDream's avatar
CatFromDream 4 years ago
What's with the negative reception? Do you think it's given that everyone played and has all these games? Comments here make it seem like this was made for people who have 3 or more copies of every MG game. I believe the target audience might simply be people who haven't got the games yet, no? I'm a fan and I still haven't played MGS4 or bought the HD collection, so I think this collection would be amazing, with the only risky factor being the final price.
The ReRelease or Meal Gear Solid 4 actually comes with less stuff on the disk since MGO was took down
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Well, yeah. I would say that this is aimed at collectors. People that buy the special editions for the sake of it. There was already a stupid expensive collectors ed of the HD trilogy, maybe not three or more copies of each game, but the number of people that will pick this up that haven't played the games previous will be very very low I reckon. I would say you are in the minority there my friend. This is of course just my opinion, the same as in my humble opinion, you cant be a fan and not of played MGS4
I haven't played MGS4 (I own the ReRelease) Since I only got my PS3 last year
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
But you do at least own it. I can see I'm going to get pounded here. But I think my point stands.
I see your point but since i'm a collector I will buy it
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Which does kind of prove my earlier point does it not? It's aimed at the hardcore collector. I'm as guilty as others, my original MGS4 is one of those crazy editions with the watch and everything. But you know what, I won't buy another version, I just don't need to!
I don't buy overpriced collectors editions (Like MGSHD) but I get really cool collectors editions (Like Ni No Kuni)
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Yeah, we're kinda going round in circles here. haha!
craig 4 years ago
Day 1 for me, I dont care i need this! I was one of those people who had a pre order for that zavvi exclusive HD edition of MGS when it originally contained all of this and was gutted when it got cancelled. That was going for £70 at pre order so i reckon itll be between £50-£70 given HD collection is a year old now. Be interesting to see what format MGS1 comes in though, weather its a ps1 disc or a download code. Its personally like to see them give it its own disc but reskin it for this collection so ya know, its actually a collectable konami. Reskin all the discs to be fair. But they prob wont as that would cost them money so i bet itll be a voucher code. One interesting point though is, now correct me if im wrong but VR missions isnt available for download on the store so will be interesting to see what they do there. Be silly to have the main game as a code but the exspansion as a physical disc. Sorry for the long 'comment'. Any thoughts on this? Would love to now how the other MGS nutters feel.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
CatFromDream's avatar
CatFromDream 4 years ago
@troublemaker Right, touche with the fan thing. My point was that I was really looking forward to MGS4 but always postponed it for various reasons, but this just seems to be the perfect collection to pick as I'm also missing my own copy of MGS2 let alone HD versions of all these games. I admit, you might also be right about my case being minority, but still this minority could prove to be big enough number for this collection not to be considered milking, I hope.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
"If it's priced correctly (IE no more than £30) then it's a decent enough deal. But considering if you look around you can get all of this seperate for £25 it's not really a great deal in my eyes " - I don't believe I've seen even the MGS HD collection alone selling for less than 25 quid since it came out.
I got it for £15 a while back from Shopto