Wednesday Chat, April 24

Yesterday we asked what types of games you love. We asked whether you preferred a good story, action or graphics.

Today we are turning the tables and want to know what really bugs you about games. What don't you like about certain games? What makes you ignore a game without even giving it a second look. What can developers do to improve your experience?

Let's Chat.

Edited On 24 Apr, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i HATE short games that you can do in a day or 2 with a 40 quid tag on it! really hate it with a passion! i also hate a game that starts of with a brilliant story then you can tell the developers have rushed to get to the finish line at a certain point and end up missing things out! rushed projects never work, thats why i know if a game gets a long delay it will be worth it in the end 9 times out of 10
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Poor graphics. I don't mind average graphics, but if a game has really poor graphics, it sort of takes me out of it. I also hate the game WET. Worst game I've ever played.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I don't like tacked on multiplayers, I don't like modern warfare esque types of games don't normally interest me much. I hate games that are released incomplete or overly populated with bugs because they can patch it later. Games i won't pick up.... Generally Zombie games but I still give most games a chance by rental
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
And I loved WET
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
your the only 1 that loved WET pyro, shocking game! i do hate modern shooters i struggle with all shooters nowadays! the only 1 i loved last year was spec ops the line and that was purely for the story! cant beat an amazing story that keeps you playing a game because you NEED to know what happens next
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I'm sure I wasn't the only one, but the game was fun, had a wicked soundtrack and i always love female protaganists
What don't I like about certain games? I could make a massive list, but things that annoy me the most, screaming kids in online games, developers putting story before gameplay, and sort of connected, endless cut scenes padding out short bursts of gameplay,if I wanted to watch a movie I'd watch a movie not play a game.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
its quiet on here today! it saddens me when we dont have any banter flying around! i know were all busy workers but do what i do, dont do your job! lol
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I agree with Shep. Nothing worse than paying £35-£40 for a game to finish it within a couple of days. I really enjoyed Crysis 3 but that was a short game, luckily I borrowed it off my brother so it didn't cost me anything.
This is why I mainly rent these days, most games, not just the short ones, can be finished in a few days and then do nothing but sit and gather dust. Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite are prime examples of this, both great games, but were easily finished over a weekend and don't have enough replay value to be worth keeping.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
im doing it now. im literally buying GTA V for my xbox this year now, everything else is a rental! i pay 15 quid a month to lovefilm i might aswell abuse it!
I'm not being that tight, I'm still buying at least one game a month, Luckily I have my free Amazon vouchers that helps cover the cost.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Bad graphics and obviously pulled content for DLC really bug me. Look at AC2's "memory 12 and 13" (or 13 and 14, whatever it was) for a prime example! Once expansion size DLC is announced before released, it kind of taints the game experience knowing I laid out cash for a game with missing bits!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i have a baby on the way and ive lost 10 hours a week at work so until ive paid some stuff of im skint! so lovefilm is being abused!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Bloody right as well! Belt tightening in my house meant buying games dirt cheap or renting. A company wants my money, they have to do something special. And outside of a couple, no game has been worth me buying this year. Bioshock and Tomb Raider are the only real exceptions! I'm not handing over a large amount of cash for a complete waste of time!
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Shep, you having your arse handed to you later or what??? gave it all the big talk lad , still ain't seen you on lol...
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
Fetch quests & escort missions are really bothersome. The funny thing about escort quests is that they don't need to be so irritating, but they almost always get done in such a way that they are. Worst is when you're supposed to be escorting a npc and they just walk off without you whilst you're trying to keep them safe.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
my mrs has sent it back pyro when i told her not to! saying that shes done me a favour went for some ranked online last night! 1 win, 14 losses (hangs head in shame)
Bloody hell Shep, you're even worse than I am when I'm drunk ;)
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I'm positively disgusted! i guess we will have to have a match on something else to compensate... what you got?
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Troublemaker - DLC at release (or shortly after) drives me crazy too. Other issues: Unskippable cut scenes. Games involving back-tracking that don't introduce short-cuts. Games that make you do the same thing again and again until it stops being fun i.e. go and blow 'X' up (which might be fun once), then go and do the same thing 4 more times. Slow menus. Bad accents for any non-American characters.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i was so shocked at how easily i got destroyed! i was just being juggled for a whole bare of health and i was getting more and more frustrated every loss! i aint got much match games, i got halo 4 which im not playing you at your too good! i got fifa 13, black ops 2 (cause i got it for free and was forced!) the rest are more single player things! whats coming up we can both get, both rookies even playing field!
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I'm never a rookie... lol I was 10W / 5L on ranked too so maybe we saved time by not playing :) we can team up on Halo, that would satisfy my need to play with new people
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Shiny, I can name a game that so many people rave about that covers most of those. Red Faction: Guerrilla! Bloody infuriating it was. All those things, then move to next area and do them all again! NO THANKS! Awful, awful game.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
See, now I feel all left out because I don't own an Xbox :(
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
come to the xbox side TM!!! ill happily put some halo time in pyro! wont be tonight though got stuff to do! no gaming hours for me tonight :-'(
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I get a couple of hours tonight. Want to 100% Knife of Dunwall, but also want to crack on with Tomb Raider! ARGH!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I tell you what Shep, I'll hold my horses. Once MS announce and always online, kinect-centric next gen toaster oven, you'll all be on Playstation with me anyways haha!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
lol you have a way with words my friend!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Maybe a shopto Gears team can emerge lol. I must admit back tracking can become very annoying it seems a cheating way to make the game seem longer. Not a big fan of FPS but mainly due to me not being good at them ( I am one of these people that run around alternating between looking at the ceiling and the floor) but have managed to complete 2 FPS games in my gaming career
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I hate titles that are too short. Or short but don't offer much in the way of replayability save for a higher difficulty. If I'm paying £35-£40 for a title new I expect to get at least 17-20 hours out of it. Tomb Raider I've clocked up about 25 hours and still not got everything in the areas. Whereas Metal Gear Revengance I finished in 5 hours and about a third of that was cutscenes. Bioshock Infinite I got for £25 after points and included Bioshock 1. If I paid £40 and didn't get Bioshock I would have felt it was way overpriced.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
MS has sent out invitations for next generation Xbox announcement on 21st May.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
Both Kotaku and IGN have reported that MS has announced an event on the 21st May. MS say "we’ll mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment." Kotaku Link: http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-be-revealed-on-may-21-479691780?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Unfortunately, for those wanting to attend, the MS nextbox announcement stream will require an always on connection
Ah I see what you did there lol
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
The more I see it the more I want Dragon's Crown. I think it's just about the only PS3 title I'm excited for. Although will get for the Vita if the gorgeous artbook like the one Japan is getting comes over too
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
Sequels that feel like rehash of old games (Call of Duty). Annual releases of new games that don't improve that much (FIFA, PES). For the latter it is better to release a new game every two years and just update the rosters, but you know, it is all a business. Some games that are announced like blockbusters have really poor visuals. Defiance is the latest example: I played the beta on XBOX, it was choppy, poor character animation, a LOT of loading screens etc. I wasn't at all compelled to buy it. Imagine what could have happened if I bought the game. I would have felt robbed by the publisher. I can imagine how the people who bought Aliens Colonial Marines feel after all those trailers. That is why I think that every game should have a demo or trial version. If some likes the game, buys it.