Nintendo sales disappoint but company still sees profit

Nintendo has missed its revised sales targets for the year and sold just 3.45 million Wii U consoles worldwide, however the company still managed to make a profit.

According to the latest financial results which we received in our inbox this morning, the company saw "Weaker than expected" sales of 3DS and Wii U. In fact, Worldwide, only 390,000 Wii U consoles have been sold since Christmas which is no doubt due to a lack of new software.

13.42 million Wii U games have been sold in total over the past year, which includes bundled copies of Nintendo Land. Broken down that sees 2.6 million copies of the bundled game as sold, while the second best selling game with 2.15 million copies was New Super Mario Bros. U.

The 3DS has now sold 31.09 million units and game sales of 95 million, which is certainly far more impressive. Despite these sales though, Nintendo is still disappointed with its handheld, stating that it had "not generated sufficient sales momentum" in North America and Europe.

Nintendo is hoping to sell 9 million Wii U consoles this year and 18 million 3DS handhelds. Do think it'll manage these figures?

Edited On 24 Apr, 2013

Comments
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Oh man... to think they originally had estimates of having moved twice as many Wii U's by now, and yet didn't even come close to reaching the heavily downsized estimate of 4 million consoles. Coming off the heels of the most successful home console of the last decade to this is a pretty unprecedented failure. Also of note is that Nintendo seemingly stated they're ceasing DS production this year. Presumably they seek to drive 'disappointing' 3DS adoption (DS has outsold 3DS in the US most months, hasn't it?) by making the 3DS the only option on shelves for casuals/parents/etc... but imo I think all they're going to do is hasten that market they once dominated's move away from dedicated handheld consoles to smartphones and tablets for their handheld gaming needs.
Marty 4 years ago
Until it has decent games the Wii U won't sell. Content drives hardware sales & with only a handful of decent titles the Wii U will continue to struggle.
No big deal, the 3DS is doing nicely, and Wii U games are coming, so sales will improve, Nintendo will be fine.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Obviously Nintendo will be 'fine' for the time being... but that doesn't mean the Wii U will be.
Glennb's avatar
Glennb 4 years ago
Just got a wii u loving it think the console has got alot of unnecessary bad comments. Yes the line up is not the great at the mo however i think it will take off in time. Looking forward to the zelda games coming out reason why i picked one up was i don't get time to use the PS3 due to the Mrs watching TV this now solves my problem with a Screen built in the the controller plus the screen is really good
H84's avatar
H84 4 years ago
If the 3DS is anything to go by, it depends on the games. Not having Bayonetta or Pikmin has led to my WiiU gathering a layer of dust. Pull your finger out Nintendo.
Off screen play is awesome ;)
Havak's avatar
Havak 4 years ago
The Wii U was a bit rushed IMO, but they kind of needed to release it when they did, or it'd just be an entirely pointless release when matched up with PS4 and 720. Once it has more games, I'm sure it'll sell well, but I'd be surprised if it sells much more than half the amount the Wii did until we're in the last two years of its lifespan. However, I do think overall dedicated gaming console sales will never reach the heights they have when compared with DS, PS2, and Wii. The Wii U will have a better year toward Christmas when the likes of Mario Kart, the new Mario Platformer, the Zelda remake, Pikmin 3 etc are released. However, it's just the same old for Nintendo in regards to everyone only buying their console for the first party support. 3DS has system sellers coming out everywhere this year and leading into the next, so I think that might even meet targets or slightly surpass them when we've hit April 2014. When you're releasing Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Zelda and plenty of JRPG's in the same year, you know you'll do well. I'm not 'worried' about Nintendo at all, they'll make profits and I'll have some fantastic games to play (like everyone who enjoys Nintendo will). But they're going to find it difficult to have the 'must-have' consoles again for any other reason than first party games. I honestly think that EVERYONE else is happy with this, to buy a Nintendo console at some point if they enjoy their Mario and whatnot, but Nintendo aren't. I appreciate their drive and enthusiasm, but while I wouldn't class myself as a fanboy of Nintendo, I only buy their consoles and rarely buy things that aren't first party anyway. I'm sure they'll have a good year before the new consoles start to perform when they get games (as let's face it, I'll be surprised if PS4/720 have much better release titles than Wii U did). But I won't be surprised if they're far off sales targets again.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I think Nintendo can hit their target for the 3DS because of the diversity of the games and JRPG's on the system. My Wii U has also been gathering dust since I bought it on release day.The Wii U sales will pick up once games start rolling in, but I still don't think Nintendo will hit their Wii U target though, but hopefully they will prove me wrong.