Nintendo not planning to hold 'large' E3 presentation

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has announced in a financial results presentation that the company will not be holding a large presentation at E3.

The main reason for this seems to be that various groups such as gamers, retailers etc, all want different information from the company, and therefore Nintendo intends to host specific events for these groups.

"There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media."

So no press conference then, in this of all years.

What do you think of this news?

Edited On 25 Apr, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
This is a big mistake on Ninty's part. They risk gettng badly overshadowed by the newer consoles anyway, with no big and flash E3 presence, they are risking their already flagging WiiU sales.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
bad move nintendo, E3 is a big thing why not use it! like TM just said with 2 new consoles on the way the Wii U will struggle more than it already is! but obviously the big shots at nintendo have a trick up their sleeve to turn down E3 surely! more time for next box stuff :D
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
The regular "Nintendo Direct" stuff seems to be working for them. But the thing with E3 is that nowadays, it's as focussed on the public as it is on the industry. The conferences are watched by millions across the world. Holding a closed event at E3 is fine, Ninty have done it before, but not if you're not going to have a public showing!
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Seems like BigN don't want suck BigB publicly.
Richard Starwind's avatar
Richard Starwind 4 years ago
well E3 is becoming less and less needed, why rush out everything at one event? with Nintendo Direct they just update everyone every few weeks and they can take as long as they like doing so. they will most likely still have a few new things to show but E3 will soon be more of a focus on people able to play early beta's and try things out. Microsoft doing the own xbox announcement and Sony already done a part of there's before E3 its easier on them not have to throw everything at everyone all at once. internet video streaming has revolutionized the way we can receive data and all the company's are now catching onto the ideas and nintendo did it first with the Nintendo Directs
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I can see it from the point of view anything they show there will be overlooked because of the PS4 and next xbox. They would need something big to announce to take any attention away from the other 2 and I dont think they have anything that big to announce at the moment.
H84's avatar
H84 4 years ago
Can Nintendo Directs pull in the same numbers as E3 broadcasts? I dont know if this is a wise move Nintendo.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
While it's admirable to see Iwata more or less admit there's nothing Nintendo can do to avoid being overshadowed at E3, not even bothering to show up to the gunfight with bullets in the chamber is an exceptionally dumb thing to do. Those Nintendo Directs might get a few millions views (For the bigger ones at least), but even that is a mere fraction of the audience and media attention they'd get at E3.
I think someone is overestimating the importance of E3, the majority of gamers, ie the casual crowd who buy CoD, FIFA and AC year in year out, don't even know what E3 is. It might seem big to those of us in the know, because we talk to likeminded people, but the truth is E3 presentations don't draw much more of an audience than any press conference with an expected big announcement.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
E3 is pretty important though. While most gamers may not know what E3 is (not sure about that) the media attention that it garners on any site that even thinks about video games is extremely important. And the presentations are a big part of that.
I agree with Gloria, All the people I know outside of the gaming realms don't know what E3 is.
Presentations aren't that important though, as long as the information gets out, and Nintendo will be there doing private meetings with the gaming press, so the information will get out, and there will undoubtedly be a Nintendo Direct during or around E3 time, so it's really not a big deal.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
BUT! It's not just the gaming press that pay attention at E3, and there's the defining issue. Worldwide public presentation mean the news ends up everywhere (look at the amount of stuff that ended up on sites like IMDB after the PS4 reveal) and limiting your coverage i think is a bad thing. Especially when Ninty need as much publicity as possible to help their flagging sales. Obviously, this is just how I see it, and I don't believe that no-one outside of hardcore gamers know what E3 is, I personally know several people in several different industries that follow it. It's like saying that no-one outside of cinephiles know what the Cannes film festival is.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
E3 is still the single biggest event in the industry and is still going to be a bigger draw for news than any number of Nintendo Directs could be. The fact that every media site that does live coverage of the events at E3 has to make preparations for server overloads (And even then most of them end up crashing repeatedly anyway) during that week should tell you all you need to know about the 'importance' of E3. Not taking that event seriously and not going in all guns blazing is literally Nintendo throwing away free publicity at a time when they need all the attention they can get. Plus, there's the fact they've already made some big promises for E3 at that Wii U vaporware direct they had in January. If they don't deliver on those they'll find the media and gaming audience will turn on them even more than they already have in recent months.
*Holds hand up*
Bringing up the PS4 reveal is sort of making my point for me TM, that wasn't made at E3 (or GDC or any other kind of event) and got plenty of media coverage, I didn't watch it, but I still got all the news from it. Nintendo will still be doing a presentation, it's just that it'll be private for the gaming press, and they will get the news to us just fine.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
But it was hardly "Behind closed doors" was it? It was publicly accessible. getting news to gamers who spend time on game sites isn't the problem. Getting it to the rest is.
All the major gaming sites will still get the news, and from there it will trickle down and everyone will still get it.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The thing is that people will have access to the videos from E3, and them all coming at once builds up the excitement for people and can get people behind a company. With everyone expecting videos out around that time, they'll be happy to have that as their 'save up money' date. It's a massive conference, and it draws in more of my friends than a mid-day Nintendo Conference or a midnight Sony one will.
And people will still have access to videos, just not live. It's really not a big deal, people are acting like Nintendo won't be at E3 at all, they will be there, showing games to the journalists to report on, and with loads of games for people to play on the show floor.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'm not saying they won't be there. I'm saying they are only hurting themselves by not having a big public presence. Those conferences are hype builders, remember how nuts the world went when they showed off Pikmin last year? IMHO, it is just as important to have these events, to show confidence in yourselves as well as a little spectacle and get that hype train rolling and I think Ninty are failing themselves a little and for me, not allowing me to see their announcements, and having to read what a few select journalists are allowed to write, write, shows a complete lack of confidence in their brand.
They can do all that by a Nintendo Direct though, I'm sure there will be one close to or during E3 which will take the place of the presentation.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
But that's kind of the point. If they are going to do a Nintendo Direct, why not the conference? I don't see the positives in not presenting before E3 with everyone else.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
And the last ND I tried to watch had some of the worst Chroma-keying I have ever seen. I had to stop watching after 5 minutes, it was giving me a headache. Much better on stage, but that's just me, I know it doesn't bother most people :)
Maybe they're going to screen the Nintendo Direct to a conference hall at E3, I don't know, let's just wait and see rather than assuming the worst and reading all sort of doom and gloom in to it.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
But doom and gloom is fun, and it gets good arguments. And you don't throw abuse at me like you do others :)
Not yet anyway ;)
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I sense it's close. So I'll shut up for time being
You'll never be as big a twat as kevin though. ;)
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
You say that, and I heard "You're a twat, but there are worse twats" not sure how to take that! I am a twat though, i'll admit that much
We are all capable of being a twat at some point, even me, kevin is like world champion twat material though.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Ugh. I posted a lengthy comment on my phone bu tlooks like it was eaten up by Pacman. Anyways. While I am bummed about the no E3 Presentation (Guess I can cancel my holidays I took for it now haha) to be honest part of me kinda feels....it makes sense? I mean look at last years. We saw a handful of games on both systems and then discussion about the console itself. And then specs and price still weren't revealed at that point. It's not just Nintendo. I remember counting it up. Microsoft spent 45 minutes of theirs talking about how their console can link with phones. Sony spent nearly half an hour promoting a Harry Potter Spellbook. Then filled with Battlefield, Fifa, Assassin's Creed etc which were in EA/Ubisoft's own presentation too. Also keeping in mind Nintendo are gonna be battered by both the Nextbox and PS4 announcements at the same time. No matter what they did most of the eyes are gonna be on those. Also it's not like they are skipping E3 entirely. We know Mario, Mario Kart and I think Smash Bros have been confirmed for there. And I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see them do a Nintendo Direct At E3. Done right Nintendo could do a presentation the week before E3 for Wii U games for this year, allow people to play those games at E3 and a few weeks later then release one for Wii U next year. Or they could potentially do a Mini Direct every single day. 15 minutes on a single game. Would generate more interest over a period of time than simply putting out an hour or two But knowing things they'll probably just show off certain areas and then do their own thing with the directs. And keep in mind, E3 is a big show HOWEVER all three companies have shown big things outside of it.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/25/no-nintendo-press-conference-at-e3-2013?abthid=51794d4fb2e8faa72000000 Nintendo of America's senior director of corporate communications, Charlie Scibetta, has clarified to IGN that two events will be held on Tuesday morning at E3 (the day when Nintendo's press conference traditionally takes place) in addition to multiple Nintendo Direct presentations leading up to the show.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Seems like Nintendo just can't do an "ordinary" conference this year, when MS & Sony preps to blow away anything really. There are people who consider every year's E3 as "won by Nintendo", but this just ain't gonna happen this time - like NO WAY. Whatever Big N gonna show it'll be "meh" compared to competitors conferences.

But I think they still have to do it, no matter the odds...
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
It really depends on what they show. Last years was terrible for Nintendo. But Sony and Micorosoft manage to somehow make theirs worse lol In the end it all comes down to what games are being shown. Last year I felt Ubisoft was the best ones coming from it. Pity that just about all what they did release was mediocre.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Yeah, but what CAN they show?
Last year was great for PlayStation and so E3 conference, nothing to moan about really. When you work with writer like J.K.Rowling you can't just spent 5 minutes only talking about such a project.