PlayStation 4 to have stronger line-up than any system before it

Mark Cerny has been talking all about the PlayStation 4 in a new interview with Gamasutra, revealing that the upcoming system will have the strongest line-up of any previous system in terms of games.

"The launch lineup for PlayStation 4 - though I unfortunately can't give the title count - is going to be stronger than any prior PlayStation hardware, he said. "And that's a result of that [tech] familiarity."

Given that Cerny also added that it takes "weeks, not months" to port a game engine from PC to PS4, we are certainly sure to see a lot more titles also heading the way of Sony's new system.

Unfortunately we are still to get a release date for the new system, as we as an idea of what the actual system looks like. However, we expect to get our answers at this year's E3. We'll be in attendance, so as soon as we get hands on we'll let you know all about it.

In the meantime, we suggest you check out the article over on Gamasutra, it's interesting stuff.

Edited On 25 Apr, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
easy to just say that, but admittedly it is looking good for the ps4, which is more reason for MS to blow us out the water next month!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Yeah, they said something similar about the Vita. I'll believe it when I see it Mr. Cerny.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
To be fair Troublemaker, however dire the release schedule got post release, the Vita's launch day line up was actually pretty exceptional. PS4 having a better launch line up than their past home consoles probably won't take much effort (On PS3's side at least. PS2 had some good stuff at launch like Tekken Tag, Timesplitters, SSX, etc). All signs are good so far though. Console doesn't even have a concrete release schedule yet and there's already been a flood of announced titles since the reveal, and E3 hasn't even happened yet.
UKVampire's avatar
UKVampire 4 years ago
Lets be honest I've had my Xbox Live account for 8 years now, and I was blown away by Sony's PS4 conference. No they didn't show the console, however I'm a gamer, I don't want to sit there stroking the console... I want to play games on it and that is what is important to me. Sony's conference appealed to gamers because that is what they showed. They didn't decide to wait 3 months and during that time insult their users by telling them to #Dealwithit. Microsofts new "Xbox" announcement for me has come too little too late, I have already pre-ordered my PS4 and I cannot see my Xbox Live account hitting that 9 year mark.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'm not denying it in the slightest, my point was that big promises came with the Vita and not many have been held to. The launch window lineup for PS4 looks amazing, but I aint going to get my hopes up to be disappointed again.
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
just hoping it isn't full of sequels. I can't take a line up serious if it is.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Nothing wrong with sequels really.
I'll take that with a pinch of salt, no Sony launch line up has been that great, even it's best, the PS2, was a disappointment because it didn't have MGS2, which was what everyone wanted.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Bring on the sequels. Killzone 4 and Infamous 3 (ish) yes please! Haha! Although I do semi-agree, a couple of fresh IPs would be nice. But we are getting that weird gold toblerone robot thing aint we? I've forgotten what it's called!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
As long as there is a Ridge Racer game wouldnt be a console launch without a Ridge Racer. I do hope there are some new IPs in the launch line ups.
As long as we don't get Kaz going 'Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer' again.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
If the consoles are more like PC, making it easier to develop the games, then more games might make it on to PC as well, which suits me. Halo 1 and 2 were on PC, but none of the others were. The consoles may have a huge launch line up, but if they are already available on other machines like PC, then there is no point buying a new console to play it on. It is the number of awesome and exclusive titles that count. With studios being closed and companies going out of business, makes for less and less choice. The lack of Lucasarts is one big reason for me personally. I bought a N64 for Shadows of the Empire, the PS2 because George Lucas was impressed with it, Xbox for Ob-Wan, Gamecube for Rogue Squadron. There is Disney but who knows what they will do, one minute they say they are not doing consoles then they do. Although if Shenmue 3 is released and only released on PS4, then that one game alone will get me to buy a PS4. The best thing to do is just wait, and then see what each console offers in reality when you can see the stuff to actually buy, and they sort out any teething problems like RROD. Which is what I am going to do for at least a year or two, while I get though the remaining Xbox 360 and PS3 games I've got.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
TM, you mean Knack?
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
PS4 may have a big launch line up, but how many of those titles will interested me? PS Vita had... ... ... Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
TONY, PC games might be easier to port to next-gen consoles, but it doesn't really work other way. Devs will be, let's say, "happy" to port their games for consoles, because all they need to do is deal with 1 or 2 system configurations - PS4 and/or NextBox's.
There are always exclusive console titles that will never be ported anywhere and multiplatform console games... Well, it is very unlikely that some developer will be willing to adapt it's game that works on console perfectly fine for a "non-standartized" PC configs just to sell five more thousands copies and then find it's game on torrents.

I think next-gen consoles might finally kill PC gaming actually...
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
Hopefully this Mr. Cerny is correct. But I would much rather Sony held back at least 1 exclusive title such as Infamous Second Son and release it maybe 2-3 months after the console is released. Nothing worse than having a good line up, then have no big game releases for the next 6 months.
*Whisper* (Psst Hymeleon, Dark Souls)
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Hymelen, that's the bad boy. Looks like a lot of fun. I think with both systems looking to use the x86 setup, porting will be easier, but as it always is with these things (look at mass effect) it's all about making it worthwhile for devs to port. It's the almighty dollar above all else.
Shenmue 3 on PS4? That's a good one TONY, I nearly wet myself.
Shenmue 3 for Wii U exclusive.
Solidus 5nake's avatar
Solidus 5nake 4 years ago
I would love it if they announced a new Uncharted for the PS4 launch, I doubt it would happen, but hey, I can still dream :D
I don't think we will ever see Shenmue 3, on anything, ever Nox.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
I do not think next gen consoles will kill PC gaming, but make it stronger. PC games are being designed with the Xbox 360 controller now, and Dead Space 3 was identical, and had exact same controller layout for the Xbox 360 controller for windows. Most PC games now are just ports of console games than them putting effort into making new versions. MMOs will always be better on PC, and FPS will due to the keyboard / mouse. With PCs able to plug into TVs, and use console controllers, playing a game on Xbox 360 or PC is no different other than PC version looks and plays better. PCs are always backwards compatible and you will be guaranteed to be able to still play your games well into the future. PCs can do many things a console can not, and PCs can now be like a games console. As long as the games come out for the PC then there will be no need for a games console, but that is the only reason why games will not come on PC so the consoles can sell, not because they can not be bothered with various configs. As for Shenmue 3 being exclusive on PS4 I got that from someone else on here - http://www.shopto.net/news/42413/Evening-NewsRound--April-10-PS4-Bioshock-Monster-Hunter I do not believe it personally, but if it did happen then that is one game that would make me get a PS4. Hopefully it is the Wii U now, then I won't have to get PS4
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I'll wait till I see it before deciding. They said the Vita one was exceptional but....wasn't really if you didn't like Uncharted.
That bloody Nox starting silly rumours, I might have known.
Shenmue 3 for Dreamcast 2 Exclusive
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Dark Souls was developed 4 all three platforms from the beginning. And it shows really.
Good point nonetheless - check this out: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=dark+souls
I bet FROM Software already sorry for doing this. We'll see on which platforms DS2 gonna be released...
It wasn't developed for PC in the beginning. PC gamers started a petition to get Dark Souls on PC. (Does that link count download sales?)
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Have no idea. Do you have better one?
But DS is more of an exception anyway...
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
TONY, there are things that better on PC - piracy is one of them. Say "backward compatibility" to my "Thief Deadly Shadows" copy that I wasn't be able to finish after upgrading my PC, because Garret didn't wanted to crouch while running on a multicore processor.
There are some game genres that will stay on PC - probably. But playing same game on a same TV with a same controller on a machine that is more expensive by a DEGREE just doesn't sound right to me...
As far as I know digital sales figures don't get released to the public
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
Dark Souls 2 is currently coming for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Sales for Dark Souls would have been not so good as if you bought the Xbox 360 version, then you may not get the PC version too (although I did). Had the PC and Xbox 360 versions released at the same time, I would have just got the PC version. If the games do not come out on PC, then will have to rethink. If it is easier to port games about because the new consoles use x86 then I do not see that it will make the PC scene worse, when atm it is not so easy and they are doing it, so at worst it will just stay the same as it is., but then there is the Steam console in the works, but I will not get one as will design my own. I will always have a PC, so having a games console just means another machine which I do not have the room for, so will just have to miss out. Once I have finished with the Xbox 360 and PS3 then I could pack them away / sell them and make room, but I am not going to ditch hundreds of games just to get another console for a few games that do not make it to PC before then. The only thing that consoles have going for them over PC is the lack of DRM, but although they have debunked those rumours, I still think they may try and work it into the consoles over time. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is being released as a DLC and not being released to retail - once bought can not resell. For people who have the room for the next gen consoles as well as the current gen or not worried about the current gen any more, I can definitely see the next xbox and ps4 worthy purchases. Cut backs are happening, and financial future does not look good, so I need to make cut backs too, plus lack of room = no ps4 or next xbox for me, even though I would like them.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
Up until games were being designed with the Xbox 360 controller for windows, and the PC being tied to a VGA monitor and not easily connected to a TV, it was not right playing games on a PC either, other than MMOs, as trying to get a controller that was comfortable and having to configure the controls to the controller which sometimes did not work was too messy, but with the recent games, I think they will be more future proof, as long as they carry on the way they are.
Tony your post are really too long, you should really learn to make them a bit smaller
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
" They said the Vita one was exceptional but....wasn't really if you didn't like Uncharted." - Plenty of titles at launch that were better than Uncharted though, not least of which was Wipeout, which is yet to bettered in the handheld racer stakes (Though Sonic All Stars came close more recently I'd say). As I said, whatever the Vita may look like now it still had the best day one line up I've been around for on a handheld console. 3DS launch line up from the prior year being a relevant case in point.