Kamiya says "Don't buy Wonderful 101 if you hate short games," Producer clarifies comments

Highly anticipated Wii U title, The Wonderful 101 will not be an incredibly long experience, according to Director Hideki Kamiya.

Speaking via twitter, Kamiya said, "If you hate to finish a game the next day [after] you buy it, you better not play TW101.

"I focus on how it is fun, not how long it lasts till the ending."

As you would expect, fans of the Wii U were quick to respond to this, however it wasn't long before another member of the team clarified what his colleague was talking about.

"What he is saying is his basic approach to how he creates an action game. The idea is rooted in that you shouldn't pad your game with content users won't enjoy in order to control play time to the end of the game. It isn't something he wants to do, or thinks you should do," said producer Atushi Inaba via a microblogging platform, as translated by Siliconera.

"Kamiya is the kind of game director who will pack as much content into the game as he can until he is satisfied. If we were to give in to all of his desires, the game we'd ship would probably be some super-long action game that no one would beat. I've been teamed up with Kamiya as his producer for a long time now, and game length is something I've never once worried about.

"That means both the length of a single play-through and the replayability of the game. Never worried once. Never. Actually, my job really is to be the one who says "This is too %^&* long! Cut it!"

Inaba then went on to say that Wonderful 101 will be more than worth the experience, no matter how long it lasts.

"Let me make my own conclusion: TW101 will be so much fun you are going to wear out your Wii U GamePad," he said. "I'm sorry I can't explain to you in exact terms why I think you will have so much fun with TW101. I promise there will be plenty of news about the game in the days and weeks to come. But I will say this - Everyone here is working incredibly hard to make sure you say two things about TW101. One: I'm happy I bought a Wii U Two: I'm happy I bought The Wonderful 101."

We've said plenty of times in the past that we'd rather a developer focuses on fun, rather than the length of the game, so we're more than happy to see someone take this approach. What do you think?

Edited On 30 Apr, 2013

Comments
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Well, not exactly a brilliant statement to make. Seems just to be backtracking.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
As long as it's made well and has a gripping story the length doesn't matter I suppose.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
it does for 40 quid in my eyes, if its short then its not worth a full whack price for me, thats the way im seeing gaming now in all fairness, im only paying if i know ill be on the game for hours and hours and the story is gripping and fantastic!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
To be fair most platinum games are fun to play. Metal Gear Rising was short but probably the most fun I have had with a game this year. The argument comes down to are these games worth full price.
It will probably be like Vanquish, the game can last 4-6 hours but those 4-6 hours are amazing and it has high replay value
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I agree with Shep, it does matter when it costs 40 pounds. If its not that long, then why not reduce the price a bit. Nothing worse than paying 40 pounds for a game which will be completed in a few hours.
I'm on the opposite end, there is nothing I hate more than padded gameplay and no replay value
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
yeah but if its short and got great replay value your still getting your moneys worth Nox, if its short with no replay value because its 1 of those games you can only play once its not worth the 40 quid is what im saying, cant beat a good long game with a top notch story line
Platinum games specialize in short games with good replay value
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Just wait 3 weeks though, and if it is anything like Vanquish or MGR, it'll be worth £20. Great value then no matter what.
Not a problem, quality wins over quantity any time in my books, and Platinum always deliver quality. Also, the majority of games these days can be finished in a day or so and have little to no replay value.
Example: The Darkness 2. Great game but no replay value
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
If it's good then great. As I said last night a ton of other games were short but was ignored. Tomb Raider, God of War, NSMBU, Metal Gear Rising, Call of Duty were all titles you could finish in a few hours. Most of which bump things up by having some extra stuff. Even the likes of Uncharted, Bioshock Infinite etc come under 10 hours. Personally I've found Platinum's games to be so amazingly fun I can be happy to go through multiple times. Even if Metal Gear Rising's was so annoying in that most of the content was cut-scenes. I think I'll wait and see if I can get a good deal on launch