Wednesday Chat, May 1

It's May 1. Summer is finally here and therefore the usual drought of new releases is just around the corner.

We still have a few titles on the way before things dry up completely, such as Soul Sacrifice, The Last of Us, Resident Evil: Revelations, Persona 4: Arena, Metro: Last Light, Grid 2 and Remember Me. After those are out the door though, there is a real lull in the release schedule until at least the end of August.

So today's topic is: Should new releases be spread out more across the year. Is there any reason for not releasing new games between June and August? Why release all the Big Budget games in October/November/December? Does this affect the sales of perhaps some of the lesser known 'AAA' titles and wouldn't they be better releasing when the schedule is clear?

Lets Chat!

Edited On 01 May, 2013

Comments
ANDRE 4 years ago
I forgot our chat topic yesterday, sorry about that.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I don't mind the drought. It usually means games that would have been looked over or ignored are given a decent chance at success. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Sleeping Dogs have both been successful in the summer drought period where they may not have been with a fuller calendar. I think it's going to greatly help Saints Row 4 this year too. I would prefer not to have a packed back end of the year though. Last year, i bought 12 games in 10 weeks. An insane cost at any point but especially just before Christmas!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
For those interested, it seems the playstation store in the UK is updating early. Or at least some bits are. Blood Dragon is already up for purchase. with a PS+ discount, down to 9.59GBP. Result! In the queue, I just need to get home to turn the PS3 on!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i dont mind the drought either in all fairness, it gives me a good few months to catch up on all the things i haven't got round to playing and as my list stands 10+ between the xbox and ps3 i need all the drought i can get, nothing for me until sept 17th!
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
yeah the summer is usually achievement hunting time via rentals... might try and catch up with some of the games I may have missed this year but they're sparse, think I finished everything I wanted too. I'll go back to some of my own games and have another go
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I would of thought releasing a big game in the summer would make some sense as kids are off so releasing a big game I would of thought made sense. So in the next 3 months there is only one what I would call major game and thats the Last of Us so quite a lull would be nice to have say one big game a month.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Also is Persona Arena actually coming out or is it going to get delayed once again.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Big release as Tales of Xillia and Beyond: Two Souls should not release in same month IMO as it make it hard to complete 1 of them, before the next come out. Look ad February last year and March this year <-- Bad timing for Companies
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
The drought annoys me. I can't see why the game can't be spread out a bit more. I understand releasing games near Christmas boosts sales, but would be nice to see a big game released in end of July or beginning of August which would be perfectly sandwiched between the Last of Us and the big releases come the end of the year.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I love the drought it lets me pick up some brilliant titles that I would normally over look.
What I would give for your 10+ Shep. I have 50+ (Dear God)
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Mine is sitting at around 15. With time getting ever more precious too!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
In terms of new games I've yet to play(Hitman, AC3 etc), I'm looking at about 15-20. With games I want to replay (Bioshock, Vanquish) added on top of that, I'm looking at 30ish <_<
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Hitman, Deadly Premonition, MGR, The Darkness 2. I'm doing all right I think
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I also have DLC for MGR to buy, and Blood Dragon to play.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
im only including my games on my shelf, including games ive missed out on that are on my lovefilm list im also talking 30-40+ and i have so little precious spare time these days!
The worst thing is 99% of them are RPGs
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I play RPGs when I get them, they go to the top of my pile drop whatever I'm playing to run through. I would like to add Catherine and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon to my pile now, too thanks to PS+
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Animal Crossing, mario and Luigi, Pikmin 3 are all out during summer I think. Isn't Rayman for August too?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
No one has a Wii U.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
no 1 with a lot of common sense has a wii u anyway :P lol. yeah ive got 6-7 RPGs to hit and i cant wait best genre ever!
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i welcome a rest in new releases my back log is still standing at 40+ games with a lot of rpgs that take all your time and with a lot of new titles out in june about 4 i want its getting bigger , then there is my ps4 fund i need to start
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
40+ !! I don't have any at the minute, well no "have to" play titles anyway just "should or might play" titles
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
the trouble i get i cannot turn down cheap bargains when i see them eg brought dark souls and sniper elite this week for 25 but i know i have still got a back log
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
In fairness to Robichoico Animal crossing, Mario and Luigi are both Nintendo 3DS games, Rayman is no longer a Wii U exclusive, so the only Wii U game there is Pikmin 3.
Not really that much of a drought, I have several preorders for June, July and August, plus a rental package for the few other releases I haven't ordered. I'm not going to exactly be short on new games, plus I have a mountain of unfinished games, just like everyone else, should I be short on something to play.