The Sun calls 3DS 'The Greatest Console ever'

The Sun newspaper has labelled Nintendo's 3DS as 'The Best Console Ever.'

"In the space of a few months, the Wii U's little brother, the handheld 3DS, has become my favourite gaming console," says the story.

"I don't mean favourite handheld console, I mean favourite console full stop.

Derided for the best part of its first year as a gimmicky cash-in, it is now emerging as an essential piece of gaming hardware.

"It's in the eShop - the 3DS equivalent of the Apple App Store - that the machine is making its biggest strides. Full-price titles such as Fire Emblem (my 2013 game of the year), Luigi's Mansion (excellent) and Monster Hunter sit beside brilliant budget games like Fallblox (best game ever for a fiver), Mario Minis On The Move, VVVVVV and HarmoKnight - starting at a fiver.

"None of the games are of the throwaway 69p variety on your phone. They're proper pieces of software worthy of your attention. I now have more than 20 sitting on the homescreen of my 3DS I can play at any time. And there's ample space for 40 more with a 32GB SanDisk SD card, which can be picked up for a tenner.

"After fairly pants sales in 2012, the 3DS is now a million ahead of the DS at the same point. That's something Sony's Vita can't say about its predecessor PSP."

What do you think? Is the 3DS the best console ever? We still think Sony's PS2 is the greatest console ever released, due to its huge library of excellent software, however we have to admit that the 3DS has been making huge strides towards greatness recently.

Edited On 13 May, 2013

Comments
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
The Sun. What a terrible rag of a newspaper. They slagged the console off now call it the greatest ever. Just thought this story would make for an interesting debate tho. What's your favorite console ever? Gotta be PS2 for me, just far too awesome.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Yeah you can always trust the sun to be truthful.... Just look what the page 3 girl is supposed to have said every day.. funny stuff
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I would say the original DS is better then the 3DS. All time greatest consoles I would go for the PS1. Also agree the sun is a terrible excuse for a newspaper.
Gamecube
Turak64's avatar
Turak64 4 years ago
No doubt the 3DS is really pulling it out of the bag this year, but it still has some way to go to be called the best console ever (i.e. a built in 2nd circle pad!). Hopefully the Wii U follows the same pattern (i.e. terrible launch followed by a good strong year) I still have a soft spot for the N64
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
cannot beat a bit of golden eye on the N64 back in the day a lot of late nights gone by there
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
Ps2 for me!
Why is there no love for the Gamecube?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Ah yes, The Sun, the shining bastion of hope that we all need to realise the true power and integrity of this country's journalists. Fuck off
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Favourite Console? The Nokia N-Gage
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The PS2 was the best console available really. Just simply brilliant. But the one I spent the most time on was probably my Sega.
GAMECUBE!!!!!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I think nox is trying to tell us something. PS1 gave the world Final Fantasy 7 thats all that needs to be said :)
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Wasn't Final fantasy on the NES?? Realistically, I would have to say the PS2. It made leaps and bounds in everything from production to varied IPs. A great machine. Hopefully Sony can reproduce a little of it's greatness with the PS4
I just sneezed all over the monitor. Bogies everywhere. BOGIES!!!!!!!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Still better reading than the god dammed SUN!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
N64: Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, Mischief Makers, Lylat Wars, Operation WinBack
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Yes Trouble Final fantasy was on the NEs but VII was on ps1
Gamecube: Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker & Smash Bros. Nuff said (Also a working version of Shadow the Hedgehog)
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
PS1, final fantasy VII VIII and IX enough said!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
PS1 Suikoden 1 and 2 Final Fantasy VII VIII IX, Crash Bandicoot the original Tomb Raider, Wild Arms, Gran Turismo Metal Gear Solid, castlevania Symphony of the Night and Star Ocean the list goes on and on.
sam 4 years ago
see you say this but no 3d gaming is stupid its been a massive waste of time for the gaming industry, it doesnt work its not very wow this is amazing its more, wow i remember doing this with free things in my magazines as a kid. nothing new nothing great just old concepts. 4k is where its at. if gaming sectors invested into 4k ages ago rather than 3d heh things would be so much better, its a great console dont get me wrong, 3d just isnt ready yet.
Also weren't The Sun the ones that started the "3DS gives your children fits" thing that too much gullible people believed
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
yeah the 3DS is a killing machine to OMG the 3DS is the best thing ever! idiots! like pyro stated page 3 even the stuff they write about them boobs with bodies is a total load of bull shit!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
iPhone: You get words with friends, 4 pics 1 word, and candy crush. Greatest games console ever
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Gameboy "color" has got to be one of my favourite, The amount of Hours I spent throughout my childhood playing Pokemon. Favourite has to be the PS1 though. All of the Final Fantasy greats, The good resident evil's and even Dino Crisis. Don't make them like they used to.
They actually do make them like they use too, you just need to look really really hard for them
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
And when you find them, you realise that the graphics are bad, the story isn't that great and the characters are annoying.
It's personal preference Whyte. Example people said Infinite Undiscovery and Resonance of Fate had annoying characters and bad story but I absolutely loved them two.
Split between the N64 AND Gamecube for me, both great consoles with some cracking games. The 3DS is fab too, just not at that level, not yet anyway.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Well it's a step up from the console burning out people's eyes like they were reporting at launch. Gotta admit I've had oodles of fun with my 3DS. It's slowly overtaking the DS as my fave console. Once more GBA and GBC games come out (Fire Emblems, Medabots RPG, Dragon Quest 1-3, Dragon Warrior Monsters, LTTP, Metroid Zero Mission etc) it will be my fave. DS is only my fave due to backwards compatability. If the Wii U however managed to get a decent lineup of SNES, N64, Cube games and with Wii playback it would be a strong contender tbh.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
This is almost as relevant as the sun is itself to news..............pure toss as the man above said earlier................The Sun just fuck off!! ha ha that made me laugh, for me favourite consoles would have to be the N64 or the gamecube which is kinda weird I have no love for the Wii U or Nintendo in general at the moment
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
I still need to tell people that the "3DS giving kids fits and burning their eyes out" is a load of bull. The 3DS only makes your eyes feel weird cos A: You are using muscles in your eyes that you haven't used before or B: You have the 3D turned full up. If anything the 3DS is good for your eyes
H84's avatar
H84 4 years ago
The 3DS is a fantastic piece of kit but you can only decide on the greatness of a console after its been out for about 5 years. It's too early to say, but I think it will be remembered fondly.