Microsoft to abandon points

Microsoft is to abandon its Points based currency in favour of a real world money system, according to a new report.

The Verge cites "sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have revealed plans to replace Points with a new gift card system".

Meanwhile, in response, Microsoft has stated "it's clear its points system is in the early stages of being phased out fully in favour of a local currency one".

In addition to the above, CVG also contacted Microsoft for further clarification, however, the company suggested that this would not apply to the Xbox 360, which means the companies current system will continue to use Microsoft points.

Apparently the new gift cards are said will work in a manner similar to Apple's iTunes vouchers, while credit card transactions will also be possible.

Edited On 15 May, 2013

Comments
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Microsoft Fun Bucks were probably the worst part about the xbox
I just don't see the point. Who cares what you pay with
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
possibly, and this is a complete guess, that the exchange rate has stayed more or less the same for MSP, and yet some things are more expensive on PSN. MS clearly see that they are losing money doing things this way
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
I think it's because EU PPL was buying MSP to US price. But happy to see Microsoft finally dropping them.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I also don't agree with the fact that you HAVE to put in £5 in to the PSN and £10 in to Nintendos wallet for the most basic of transactions.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
makes no difference really, points or cash whats the difference in the end
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
The minimum load on PSN was less of an issue once I started using cards and topping up when I had spare. That's just how I ended up doing it.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
The good thing about points was you could get cards at lower value then the points
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Yeah but to use cards it's mainly spending £15+ minimum really. I just want to be able to go and buy something for £1.50 if it's available for £1.50 on a whim. Not have to put in £5 and have £3.50 sit there for eternity.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
@Shep Let's say 8000 MSP cost $10 in US, while EU pay €10. It's a difference on $2.85, which may not be must, but in the long run it is.
Ash Buchanan's avatar
Ash Buchanan 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte, not sure about PSN but with Nintendo you dont need to pay a minimum amout. Instead of adding £10 a time there is another button on the screen, top up I think, that charges you just the difference. I have been purchasing all of those lovley 80pence games that way.
Ash is right. On the 3DS E-shop there is an option to just add how much you need for the download
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I wish Nintendo gave that same option on the Wii U version of the E-shop.
Really is that not an option on the Wii U?
It is, I've paid exact money on all the games I've bought on it.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I went looking for it earlier and couldn't find it. But I admit I hardly use the Wii U and my knowledge of the E-shop is woeful. Perhaps Gloria would be able to confirm if it is possible on Wii U.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
How do you do it? When I went on all I could find was to top up by £10, £15 etc.
What I do on the 3DS is "Go to download something and it asks me if I want to top up £10-£200 or exact amount" so i'm guessing the Wii U is the same (Who would top up £200? Seriously)
When you buy credit you get two options, one to add a round figure, £10, £20, etc or you can just add the balance of the sale, it's all very clearly laid out, not sure how you could have missed it.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
Now it makes sense. I didn't try that because I went onto the E shop to download super metroid for 30p but it isn't on E shop till tomorrow. The answer to your question is spoilt rich kids.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
whoever thinks there is no difference between MSP and good ol ££ is a retard! I buy 4200 for anywhere between £25-35 the exchange rate for these means I get DLC super cheap.... where as with real cash I will be forced to pay one price which when I look at PS is a lot more expensive that what I pay! Sometimes an 800MSP DLC would only cost me about £3.50... I'm going to miss them I have saved no end of cash over the years. I managed to pick up 2100 points for £6 off ebay a couple of weeks ago bargain
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I would guess that that is the exact reason why they are looking at scrapping it. Recently it's been getting harder and harder to find cheap PSN cards. when there is an obvious monetary value on the box, people just don't want to discount it anymore!
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
oh well I suppose my back pocket will just have to take another hit.. which means I'll buy less games in the long run