Ubisoft expect Assassin's Creed 4 to sell less than previous game

Ubisoft's CEO Yves Guillemot, has said that the company does not expect Assassin's Creed 4 to outsell the previous game in the series.

As spotted by Gamespot, Guillemot confirmed during an investor call that the publisher is remaining "prudent" in its expectations when it comes to Black Flag.

"To come back to Assassin's Creed 4, in our numbers we have... we expect less than last year," he said.

"We are actually pushing to achieve more than last year because we think the pirate segment is a great segment that can generate a lot more on a worldwide basis than what was achieved last year.

"But we wanted to be prudent on our expectations so that it can probably be a bonus if it comes."

Assassin's Creed 3 has shipped 12.5 million units to retail since its release. It's predecessor, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, will actually launch on more systems thanks to the arrival of the PS4 and the new Xbox. It'll also launch on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Edited On 16 May, 2013

troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Yeah, I read that and what I actually read is "we got you all hyped for AC3 and didn't really deliver. we expect you, as a customer, to be pissed at us for that, and we don't think you'll be buying AC4"
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
nice to see a company not making over the top profit projections for once!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
accepted defeat with the series from the sound of it! i think the game looks great but so did AC3 which i still have not go round to putting on high on lovefilm! but this 1 looks good but i love a good pirate game! will never beat captain jack sparrow though
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
To be fair, the pre-order buzz on every AC game has always increased, and now they're going back in time and AC3 is the one more fans put out their anger on, I can't see them breaking their pre-order record with this, and I think they agree. The series won't die, it's too good to die.
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 3 years ago
I actually didn't mind AC3, but I think it's time for them to take a risk with the series. Why not bring it to the modern day, or at least World War 1 or 2? For me the big problem with all of the games is that they're quite repetitive, which you can get away with for maybe one or two games but personally I'm a little bored of it now.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
I was dispointed with AC3, but I gonna give AC a last try, since they give me Pirates. I am just a bit frusted over Ubisoft moved with creating 3 different maps and rumors of fourth... I really hope Black Chest Edition ppl get all 3-4 maps.