Thursday Chat, May 16

Today's topic is all about Nintendo. How do you feel about this mega publisher and what do you think it needs to do to turn around the fortunes of the Wii U.

And what about the 3DS? It continues to grow from strength to strength, however it seems some investors would love to see Nintendo releasing its games such as Mario on rival systems, such as the iPhone and iPad, how would feel about this?

We think it'd be a good idea if Nintendo released shorter versions of it's games on iOS, with a view to giving those who play on mobile a small taste, perhaps getting this hooked.

What do you think?

Let's Chat.

Edited On 16 May, 2013

Comments
0000000000 4 years ago
nintendo will never sell the rights for mario on other systems i dont think anyway! the Wii U to me is a failed project with a lot of potential but its got time to pick up! the 3DS im glad ive picked 1 up, love the thing i do and ive only played cats and dogs and fire emblem lol! top company nintendo especially for handhelds, never been a fan of the consoles since the nintendo/N64, since those days ive stuck to gameboys and 3DS! i do hope the wii u picks up though for people who paid all that money for it
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The praise the Wii U seems to get is from Wii U'ers who have bought it and have to support it. It needs to up its game, and seeing as it got the Wii U out to beat the PS4/Xbox to the punch of next gen, it hasn't got hte games out quick enough to be more useful in this time. Selling to IOS would be good, but Nintendo wouldn't allow it. They just need to start getting more japanese only games out over here, and seeing how they do. Too many people miss out on some classic games due to them not coming west. Imagine if Fire Emblem didn't come west all those years ago, I'd be distraught.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I think nintendo's problem, with home consoles at least, is that they sold the Wii on it's gimmick and it was extraordinarily successful. BUT! They have tried to recreate that market with the WiiU and failed for the most part. What could be forgiven in the Wii can't be forgiven in the WiiU and with a new generation coming from the the other two of the big three, I think the WiiU has been hamstrung from the start. I don't think they will ever go software only like, say, Sega did. But I would guess that in the next five years, they end up a handheld only company. They just don't have the install base to try and be clever without forst getting a few old reliable type titles that aren't labelled Mario or Zelda
0000000000 4 years ago
id be happy with nintendo concentrating on handhelds, like i said above there handhelds have always been amazing and better than there consoles
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
i was going to get a wii-u but the more i think about it the more i think its a bad idea. @shep noticed you was playing asuras wraith how is it? i haven't been gaming recently i'm going through a gaming funk so i'm currently trying to get up to date with my game of thrones.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
They need to make the most of their back catalogue of NES/SNES games - make them really cheap and market the hell out of it. There's a whole generation of casual 360/PS3 gamers who grew up in the 90s and now just play FIFA and COD. Make a really big deal about Super Mario World, old Zeldas etc (ignoring the fact they've been available before).
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I have a Wii U and I havent played it for months its not a bad system but there just seems no support for it whatsoever. I think it was poor planning all round. Why release a console thats on a par with consoles that have been out for 6 or 7 years and with new powerful consoles a year away. The other problem is it hasnt been marketed at all the amount of people I have talked to that have never heard of the Wii U. These people arent hardcore gamers but they do have a ps3 or xbox.
0000000000 4 years ago
@TooTell its actually alright to be fair, cut scene heavy but story is quite interested as far fetched as it is, but i didnt want to stop last night but wanted to watch a film before bed
Not regretted buying my Wii U at all, it's a great system, it may be a bit short on games at the moment, but it's picking up, and I'm sure Nintendo have got plenty in store for it soon. The thing with Nintendo is they don't flood the media with information on their games like a year before release like some publishers, so some games we only hear about a month or two before release, and games they do let us know about well in advance they still show us next to nothing untill close to release. Nintendo are never going to have the market share they used to, but they will always get by on the faithful, even now whilst the Wii U is supposedly a total failure they are still making profit on it.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Agreed Bindiana. Nobody knows what a Wii U is outside of people who follow game sites really. My parents own a Wii, my mates own Wiis, but asking them if they know about the Wii U, they give a blank look and think it's just a new part for their Wii like the enhanced motion control.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
EA has scrapped the online pass!!!!
To be fair DW most people I know don't know what an Xbox or a Playstation are specifically either, other than something that plays video games, they don't know about different versions of Xbox or Playstation, as far as they are concerned it's just different names for the same thing.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I have a Wii U and apart from last night where I tried the new Resident evil demo (aiming seems to be a bit awkward) I hadn't been on the Wii U for a few months. Poor marketing has hit the Wii U hard but its picking up, the other day I saw a Lego City advert for the Wii U which took me by surprise. It's been frustrating there hasn't been more games out for the console but the 2nd half of the year is suppose to be a lot better.
What's wrong with you people who have a Wii U and haven't played it in months? There's been games, Lego City and Monster Hunter mainly, several multiplatform releases that are worth playing, plus monthly 30p VC games and eshop releases like Bit Trip Runner 2, all in the last few months. I use my Wii U practically every day, probably more than I do my 360.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Lego games aren't for everyone, and Monster Hunter certainly isn't for everyone.
Glora. Seeing how you have a Wii U, do you know if you can get surround sound from it?
I'll agree with you that Lego games aren't for everyone but the migority of people that say Monster Hunter isn't for them, haven't even played Monster Hunter
Apparently yes, although I can't confirm that as I don't have the hardware for it.
Well I guess I will find out when I get one
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
Lego games aren't for me, I know other people enjoy them and find them fun but they aren't my type of game. I will probably get Monster Hunter but I'm waiting for a price drop as I am new to the franchise and not sure if I will like it. I did go on my Wii U earlier looking for Super Metroid on VC but it isn't up on the eShop yet. But I have my PS3 to tide me over till Wii U games start rolling in. I'll get Rayman when it comes out.
If you are new to the Series why don't you get an older Monster Hunter? PSP/PS2/WII
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
It's ok I don't mind waiting. Not really too fussed about it. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't had a small price drop considering it was released the roughly the same time as bioshock infinite and you can get that for £30 now.
I got Monster Hunter for £30 on release. ;)
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I don't enjoy LEGO like I used to, and Monster Hunter is a great franchise I just can't justify laying out all that money for a single game. Maybe after Smash Bros gets released and the console halves in price I will consider a WiiU but until then it really isn't worth me picking up.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
@Gloria, How did you manage that? Also have you tried out the Resident Evil demo for Wii U? When I tried it out the aiming felt really awkward.
0000000000 4 years ago
i was gutted with the RE demo on the xbox, didnt enjoy it at all :( i honestly think ive lost interest in the series!
That one was down to nectar points, got a tenner off, not the best deal I've had lately though, got Lego City for a tenner thanks to reward points here, Injustice cost me nothing, and next week I'll be getting RE Revelations and DKCR3D for free thanks to Amazon vouchers, I never pay full price for games any more. Aiming felt fine to me on the Revelations demo, same as on the 3DS version, my problem with it was I couldn't find the run button, I'm sure there was one on 3DS but not on this one.
It's a crap demo Shep, don't be put off, it's a great game.
0000000000 4 years ago
i couldnt run either! its on lovefilm anyway so ill get it when i get it and ill destory loads of ugly things then!
It's definitely worth picking up, campaign is great, and Raid mode is the best multiplayer on an RE game yet, I wouldn't be getting it again if it wasn't.
that is a fair point!
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I'll give RE demo another go later, I've seen a few people saying the same thing as Gloria, about the demo being a bit rubbish but the game is good.
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 4 years ago
I think the problem is that they marketed the Wii heavily towards the casual, almost non-gamer market, which was hugely successful for them. The thing with such casual gamers is that they aren't then likely to buy a second console that does the same thing, albeit with better graphics, because they don't care about fancy graphics. Nintendo haven't done enough to get the proper gamers back interested again, in fact the whole marketing operation has been a bit of a shambles from what I can see.
All Nintendo have to do to make the Wii U really popular is one thing ............. Fund Shenmue 3
0000000000 4 years ago
i just cant wait, 5 more days for the next box reveal BUT i have just read 6 reasons why the kinect 2.0 is better than ever!!! no thanks MS NO THANKS AT ALL!!!!!!!! i dont mind the kinect existing i dont have to go buy it, but if its 2 kinect mad, hello sony
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Well the rumours are shep that it automatically comes with the console you have no choice
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Looking at the controller, I would guess that PS4 will be pretty heavily MOVE influenced. But if kiect1 is any blueprint, MS will be trying to stuff Kinect 2.0 down the throat of everyone with an Xbox. No cheers
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Based on the simple parts of the PS4 controller and Kinnect, in that it recognises where you're sitting in a room for screen splits and stuff, it's basically a good move. Having a free kinnect is all good too, especially for those with kids. But if all your dashboard and exclusives are kinnect based, I'd be pissed off. Same with Sony too.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
New topic. Have you guys seen this? http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-15-jason-rubin-metro-last-light-is-the-triumph-of-an-underdog JESUS CHRIST! I wanna buy Last Light just to support these guys. fuck me!
Super Metroid up on the eshop now :)
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
read about that this morning TM hope this game gets all the support it needs , sounds horrible the conditions they were subjected to while working
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Some of the horror stories I've heard over the years have been tremendous. I thought shit like this was done after Brian Macnamara and the Team Bondi shit!
Well the game has just jumped up to a £25 region buy
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
maybe this was the reason for the hole ranger mode dlc extra . who knows
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'll be grabbing it the second funds allow it. I hate reading shit like that. and it's such a "got you by the short and curlys" industry, that there is none of this union type bollocks that so many of us can get behind. these people genuinely fear for their jobs sometimes. it's fucking awful. and kept quiet. you try to weasle around like that in the film industry, your face is all over the papers and TV (see the slumdog millionaire BS from the other year)
0000000000 4 years ago
yeah ive read that a few places TM its fucked up i really hope last light is as good as it looks and these guys get what they deserve! the headline i read, our max budget was the same budget as another company had for 1 cut scene!! messed up!
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
its amazing to think they managed to put together a great game like this at all with the budget and getting a pc development kit through customs from america
0000000000 4 years ago
make you think how companies fuck up so much with such high budgets, yet these guys have nothing and seem to of made a really immense game from the looks of it, ill be waiting for it of lovefilm! BUT if i had the cash i would of brought it right now
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i will be showing my support come friday when the shops open 9.00 sharp cannot wait to play , been hearing good user feed back on some other sites
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
good point shep look how ea manage to ruin nearly every good game they touch with there millions
0000000000 4 years ago
exactly, if it is as good as it looks, they should get a massive budget for their next project and i would love to see what they could do with better resourses!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I guess that why Mass Effect, FIFA, Dead Space, Crysis etc all suck, eh Kratos.
0000000000 4 years ago
yeah DW youve named some top games there agreed BUT Kratos is right they have ruined quite a few games and you cant deny that no matter how much you say, and you should cross crysis and dead space of that list with the last games of those series were shocking!
He said nearly & I actually think he is right an the ball with Dead Space and Crysis and not far off with Mass Effect (You forgot to mention Dragon Age)
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
my point was with medal of honor war fighter as a example , i dont mean every game they make and big company's in general , when you play a game and its so bad you wander what the point was to make it
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
To be fair EA had major server issues with Fifa 13 to begin with.
0000000000 4 years ago
DW has to be right though so ignore him lmao! fifa always has server issues, every EA game has it, why they suck lol!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Comparing FIFAs servers to any other sports games servers, and the initial '2 days' problems was nothing. Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3 didn't have 'shocking' last games, having had a go at both them myself. And 'Mass Effect' is nowhere close to being 'ruined'. But I guess this place has it's IGN presence in that it's cool to hate on EA/COD/Ubi.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
And the 'major server issues' on FIFA were only on the FUT auction part of Ultimate Team, which just made it more difficult to buy players, but allowed you to play on.
That was a low blow DW. Compare Crysis 2&3 to Crysis 1 and Compare Dead Space 3 to Dead Space 1. My comment about Mass Effect is more to do with people leaving Bioware than EA's influence but it's still there
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i am not trying to hate at anyone just that its amazing to see metro last light reach such a great game , given the lack of budget and working conditions they were faced with and still managed to put it together
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Look at 95% of sequels in every single genre from film to gaming, and you'll see the sequels are rarely ever as good as the original (give or take things like Terminator 2 or Uncharted 2). DS3 and C3 are still good games, maybe not living up to the massive brilliance of the originals, but they are still up there.
0000000000 4 years ago
this is turning petty now, DW you have the right to your opinion as do we all, nobody is wrong its a different of opinion so there no need to go on about it and start on kratos for his origional opinion and if its so IGN go else where if your not happy with what people have to say, freedom of speech pal we all have it!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
'star on Kratos' - This isn't a playground. And surely if everyone has an opinion then telling someone to leave because of their opinion is hypocritical?
0000000000 4 years ago
yeah cause your opinion was comparing people to something because of their opinions!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
DW has to be right though so ignore him lmao! fifa always has server issues, every EA game has it, why they suck lol - More of an attack, before I said anything ;)
I can own plenty of Sequels that are as good as the original or better. Bottom line is opinions are unique and they will always stay that way
Also it's one thing if a sequel is just not as good as the original and a completely different thing if the sequel goes away from everything that made the series great
I'm staying out of this one ;)
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
opened a can of worms here ( joke)
You sure did. BURN SCOTT
On a lighter note, I'm really enjoying Gates to Infinity
On another note, Virizion is a bitch
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Saving my money by not gettin Grid 2, so badly let down.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
let my name out the bag Nox now people will know i am not the god of war! lol
HAHAHAHA. I'm pure evil, I know
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Nintendo need to wake up and releasing a Consol, which don't use 7 year old hardware
FYI the specs arn't 7 year old but who cares anyway since power is overrated
Twats care, twats always care.
Nintendo tried Power once, it was called the Gamecube
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
They had wireless controllers with screens on them 7 years ago? and also portable 3d gaming?? holdy shit i must have missed that.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
LIES! The Virtual Boy was Portable AND 3D! Just look at how awesome it was! For a fun time with the Virtual Boy try mentioning it to what is classed as a 'Hardcore' Gamer these days. hours of fun as he scratches his head as he does not know what it is....lucky sod.