Xbox blocks pre-owned games, has mandatory installs, not backwards compatible

The Xbox One will not be backwards compatible and will not play used games according to reports circulating the internet.

Wired was the first place to spot this, although others soon followed. It seems like this circulates around the fact that the Xbox One requires all games to be installed onto the system's hard disc before playing. It's also reported that the game is tied to the Xbox Live account that installed it, so the only way to play a used game would be to pay a fee to unlock it.

Mandatory installs, paywall blocked pre-owned and always connected Kinect. What do you think of this news?

Edited On 21 May, 2013

Comments
I think "No way in hell"
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
To be honest doesnt really bother me. Would like to hear it officially just now.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Well IF this is true my Lovefilm will be getting cancelled, Either that or PS4 for me.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Easy decision made even easier
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I called that shit didn't i? DIDN'T I? MS just handed their customers over to Sony I reckon
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
in all fairness until it comes out of a MS employees mouth i wont believe it
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-14975-Xbox-One--Burning-Questions-Answered-.html Nothing about the preowned but not backwards compatible. It wont be always online either. Nothing about preowned though.
Well it was kind of implied in the reveal cos didn't he say (Correct me if i heard it wrong) that when you are waiting to find a mutiplayer game that you could watch a movie or play another game?
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
if this is the case then its a instant bad move paying to unlock pre owned games is like having to buy a online pass we have now
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
This makes zero sense. I find that when buy the game pre-owned I was never EVER going to buy it new. I have however bought loads of games off the back of renting them.... can see them removing this via a patch eventually. They'll lose more sales than this creates.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Looking at it its essentially what PC gamers have to do now and they get on ok with it. Cant remember the last time i bought a pre owned game iw will be nice to be able to switch games without getting up to change disc.
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 4 years ago
"HA, HA, HA" SAID SONY
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
The difference with PC games thought, they're a hell of a lot cheaper to buy on the day of release. The most I've ever paid for a PC game was £38 for SimCity and that came with a free NFS: Most Wanted. Before that it was £22 for Bioshock. I doubt console games will come near the price of pc games so it hardly justifies it.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
If they do block preowned they need to make new games cheaper.
Don't forget Shoxy, PC has Steam. Most i have ever payed for a PC game is £10 Retail (Baldur's Gate Complete) & £7.30 Steam (The Witcher) and I have about 63 games in my Steam Llbrary
James 4 years ago
I don't care about this I can't remember when I last bought a game pre owend
J-D's avatar
J-D 4 years ago
now i understand why its called xbox one, cause thats how many people will buy it.....if that.
Think about it. No renting, No giving your friends a lend of game, No multiple accounts. Unless you pay of course
This is a deal breaker for me if true.
Pretty sure Sony will follow suit on the preowned games though.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Well I thought it was in the PS3 but it was up to each developer if they want to use it or not
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
PS4 I mean
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Can't believe it. Really can't. Always online was the sole rumour that turned out to be bullshit. Mandatory full installs? Seriously? I kind of want to cry right now.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I feel let down but we will have to wait and see. I love Xbox, And will more than likely stick with it. My lovefilm will be getting cancelled though around september time.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Just read this from MCV. "Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games? A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later." So yeh, Still getting an Xbox.
It will significantly reduce trade in and resale values when the buyer has to fork out again to actually play the second hand games though.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Pretty sure the money we got back for trading in EA games with an online pass was not different to the trade in value of other games?
Online passes didn't stop you from playing the games altogether.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Aslong as trading in games isnt ruled out completely then i am not fussed at all. I never buy pre-owned games just trade them in.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
What about Lovefilm? Unless they have code that lasts about a week or something. What with the post getting delayed they will give code once you contact them that the game has arrived, or maybe they hike up the cost of rentals to cover a fee to keep unlocking the game. Even with trading games in, it will still affect the sale price. I will just stick with Xbox 360 and PS3 and Wii U for now. So will still keep Lovefilm to back track through missed titles across these. Microsoft stated they will be supporting the Xbox 360 still for the foreseeable future "Microsoft does, however, plan to keep selling the Xbox 360 alongside the new console for the foreseeable future. "This isn't about getting rid of the Xbox 360," Whitten said. Perhaps the lack of backwards compatibility will be good for business there." http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4350662/new-xbox-has-no-backwards-compatibilty
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
To be honest tony i can see me cancelling my lovefil. I reckon they will jus not stock Xbox One games.
Yep, seems designed to kill the rental market if you ask me.