Xbox One Q&A says used games aren't blocked but confusion reigns *update*

Major Nelson has posted up a Q&A which answers many questions regarding Xbox One, including those surrounding Kinect, pre-owned games and more. It's still unclear how pre-owned works but at least it sound like used games aren't ruled out.

*Update*

Just to confuse matters even more, Microsoft's Phil Harrison has suggested that if you 'loan' a game to a friend they'll have to pay effectively the full price of the game to unlock it on thier console.

Basically when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account.

"It sits on your hard drive and you have permission to play that game as long as you'd like," Phil Harrison told Kotaku.

You'll be allowed to play the game on your console, as will other family members, however should you try to share the game with a friend on their console then, "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live," according to Harrison.

In fact they'll have to pay the full cost of the game.

There will still be a way to sell your games, although it's not yet clear how this will work.

Here's the Q&A:

Q: Does Xbox One require an 'always on' Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We're designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

Q: How do consumers benefit by being connected to the cloud?
A: The cloud makes every experience better and more accessible. Because Xbox One is powered by the cloud:
  • Your games have more power available to create new gameplay, persistent worlds, and deeper experiences.
  • Your system and games can update automatically, so you shouldn't have to wait for downloads or updates.
  • Your games and entertainment are stored and saved in the cloud, so you can access them anytime, from any Xbox One.*
  • Start a game, movie, or TV show on one console and finish exactly where you left off on another.
  • You can play multiplayer games with your friends, stream movies or TV shows right away, and enjoy the community and social features of Xbox Live.
  • Xbox One can recognize you, log you in and tailor your home screen just for you.
You can discover what your friends are playing, watching and listening to if they choose to share.
These are just a few examples of how customers benefit from our platform being connected to the Internet. It brings the future of TV and games to our consumers and it's designed for today and the decade ahead.

* Subject to content geographical restrictions.

Q: When will Xbox One launch and in what markets?
A: Xbox One will launch in markets around the world later this year. We'll have more to share later.

Q: Can I use my current gamertag on Xbox One and will my Gamerscore and Achievements transfer?
A:
Yes. Your current Xbox Live Gamertag will stay with you on Xbox One if you choose to keep it, and your hard-earned Gamerscore and Achievements will indeed carry over from Xbox 360.

Q: Will Xbox One be backward compatible with my existing games?
A: Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games. We designed Xbox One to play an entirely new generation of games, games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud. We care very much about the investment you have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future.

Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?

Q: Will my current Xbox Live Gold membership work with Xbox One or will I have to buy a new one?
A: You do not need to buy a new Xbox Live Gold membership. Your current membership will work on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Q: Why require Kinect with every Xbox One?
A: The all new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform. By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you.

Q: Do I need to have a specific cable or satellite TV provider to watch live TV on Xbox?
A: Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that's television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box (as is the case with many providers in the US). The delivery of TV is complex and we are working through the many technologies and policies around the world to make live TV available where Xbox One is available.

Q: Xbox One is a more powerful product compared to Xbox 360, but does it also use more power?
A: No. By providing multiple power states in Xbox One, we've balanced energy efficiency with functionality. We've taken a completely different approach to how Xbox One consumes power. It only uses the power it needs at that particular moment for the task at hand.

Edited On 21 May, 2013

Comments
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
They seem to be being very vague about this preowned thing and avoiding the question.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
as long as i can get some money value back on games that i have not enjoyed then i am happy. Gutted that this means that more than likely i will be cancelling my lovefilm account.
James 4 years ago
Not being Backwards compatible = Fail in my eyes, fail in many peoples eyes. Thanks Sony and Microsoft for killing the industry. Serious mistake indeed. And Microsoft say that they won't forget us who built the scores up and worked hard on the titles we've played. By doing what????????
Skiba's avatar
Skiba 4 years ago
: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games? A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later. they must no the answer to above not a good sign.
Aimee 4 years ago
@James I know its inconvinient not having backwards compatibility, but a lot of consoles haven't had it. Nintendo's earlier consoles never had it and Sony dropped the PS2 support for PS3 after all the problems they had. 360 only had partial support for Xbox (...What is the original called now!?). I'm not too happy about it either, but it shouldn't really be a deal breaker imo.
airdam's avatar
airdam 4 years ago
The pre-owned issue doesnt bother me at all. But if I can't have 2 consoles in my house and share 1 game between me and my son then I won't be getting this. So it won't be one sale lost it will be 2 and possibly 3 with my stepson included! It's a shame as I like the look of it. Maybe a 3 user license with each game would swing it for me and would potentially prevent the pre owned issue anyway unless you sold to the same 2 people each time.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
This is starting to sound like PC gaming. Every game is either on demand or comes with a one time code. FINE! THEN MAKE THE DAM GAMES CHEAPER, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!
JASON 4 years ago
I played just two original Xbox games on my Xbox 360, even though I really wanted it to be backwards compatible. It isn't that big a deal to me. I also would not bother paying >£400 on a new gen console to play old gen games.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
~Its sure going to be a fun few months,
MS have really dropped the ball on the preowned games, although if they're right about making it possible to sell or trade in it seems they are trying to kill the rental market more than preowned. It's premature to say they've given Sony an advantage here as well, I can guarantee Sony will have a similar system for the PS4 that they have neglected to tell us about so far, EA wouldn't be ditching online passes if only one system required an activation code.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Sony have always said they have the tech in place, but will leave it up to publishers to use if they wish. EA almost certainly will, I reckon a few others will to start, then realise the unpopularity of it and call it a day
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i think seeing the reaction people have given to this not aloud pre owned rumour will have made them re think and 100% guarantee you can use pre owned games, else people wont buy and companies like lovefilm wont be used as much! I really hope we can use pre owned else i wont be getting either as i rent a lot of games!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
If what i've read is right, It's a wider issue though, you can't even gameshare under this system. it doesn't just block online, it blocks the game. Unacceptable! Why can't I lend my brother or my mate a game?
Sony may have said it will be at the publishers discretion, but don't be surprised if they backpedal on that.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I wouldn't think they would. Giving control to the publisher keeps the hate off of them for one. And 10 minutes on twitter will show just how unpopular this pre-owned fee thing is, Sony will be laughing all the way to the bank if they stay as is. The Xbox one will still sell shit loads, because it's xbox and people are sheep. But I can't get behind A console with so many fundemental flaws!
I'm sure they'll find a way to make the decision theirs, and put the blame on someone else. Maybe they could make it up to the publisher, but have the publisher have to pay a fee to them to forego it.
Deval's avatar
Deval 4 years ago
"they'll have to pay effectively the full price of the game to unlock it on thier console" Soo.... no pre-owned then! lol good job microsoft :/
Konakona's avatar
Konakona 4 years ago
They'll probably implement some sort of xbox marketplace Where you either swap games or sell/buy games for microsoft points.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 4 years ago
Why are they forcing Kinect for everyone? I don't want to use my voice or gestures, if i did, i would of bought kinect for my 360
Artemisthemp's avatar