Wednesday Chat, May 22: Next Gen Edition

Well, now we know. Say hello to the Xbox One and the PS4, the consoles which will define our gaming for possibly the next ten years. We're pretty sure you'll already have an opinion on which console is best for you, however we are sure there is still plenty more to come at E3 next month which may help swing you in a different direction once again.

But for now, what way are your swinging? Is it the Xbox One and it's TV centric kinect features or do you like Sony's focus, which so far seems to be all about the gamers and not much else?

Is it a case of "No thanks Sony" or "Xbox Go Home".

Whatever your thinking, we've not been this excited about gaming in a long time.

Let's Chat!

Edited On 22 May, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
in all fairness i was let down after all my faith and chatting basic shit to you lot MS have made me look a right c*** BUT i think as its going to be for the house and for the family ill stick to it anyway unless this preowned rumour turns out to be true, then i dont think ill bother at all! i feel so deflated its unreal! make it play rented games ill get it, if not then no
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I quite liked the reveal. If I was in America, it's basically a great machine that is getting exclusive content for popular games. It was simple, wasted no time and just got down to it. It's obvious they're saving something for E3, but it was good for them to have a show like that.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
I'm not a social person so I don't like the look of the PS4's video sharing but I do watch a lot of tv so the instant switching with the voice commands and whatnot of the new xbox looks better to me. At the moment I am leaning towards Xbox for release and PS4 after a price drop. It all depends on the games though so if Microsoft manage some good exclusives, then that is the way I will go first. If Sony have better, I will go with them. I'll decide after E3.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I do feel a bit sorry for you shep as you were obviously excited to see it. But to be fair they have E3 to show some killer titles to save themselves. As a gamer I was mainly disaapointed on how much they talked about non gaming things and didnt show any actual gameplay footage just pre rendered cut scences.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Sorry shep. I know you were expecting alot. and If i ever manage to emmigrate to the US, the box will be great (but I read it needs a set top box to make the TV integration work? hmm) It was all very flashy and showy, but nothing of real substance from what I could tell. Even the journalists there seemed to have trouble getting enthused for it. I know they'll be people going "best to buy all the consoles, you get the best experience" but when you simply can't afford them all, I have to prioritise and go with what seems best. and MS didn't wow me with anything yesterday. nothing they showed even remotely had me thinking "oh, maybe I won't get a PS4"
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
It's just round the corner from E3, compared to Sonys one where they came out and suprised Microsoft and the world by having it that early, so showing games wasn't a must have considering they'll be able to show them all off in 2 weeks time. I'm still in the PS4 boat by quite a bit though, mainly due to stuff like the Fantasy Football and that'll probably not be available over here at all.
troublemaker 4 years ago
But still, I think that Sony had a right balance with their show. games (being played) tech chat, features, etc etc, it seemed to cover all the bases the reveal should. MS just trollied out TV shows, their new EA partnership and Call of Duty. It needed a WOW factor, and they failed to deliver one.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
To be honest i am not going to jump into the next gen straight away so i will have time to have a look at both of them. I really wanted to like the xbox but it didn't do anything for me.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
@TM I agree. Microsoft promised a lot of 'content' and 'experiences' as they always do. They teased that this reveal will be something big, something that will make you want the console now. They failed to deliver. I watched the Sony press conference. We didn't see the box, but we did see some cool features: game streaming, cloud gaming (GaiKai), etc. I don't like social features (sharing and stuff), but the game streaming is very cool (live walktroughs, people won't need Twitch or something like that). And integration of cloud gaming service was the right move. That got my attention. But Xbox One, apart from the fast switch (multitasking), not impressive. Well, I can fast switch from game to TV by using the remote from my TV ;) If I want to browse the net and I have a smart phone or tablet in my hand, I won't use smart glass, I will use the smartphone or the tablet.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
If only PS would change the control set up I would have the main console decision made for me already.. I hate the PS controller more than anything!
troublemaker 4 years ago
not liking it's improvements then Pyro? I'm curious to get my hands on it, the "bigger" look might be nice, and the fixed trigger even better. but I'm happy with the PS3 controller for the most part
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
After both reveals I'm going to be sticking with PS4 next gen. I will get an Xbox One at some point but the PS4 comes first. And I can't see MS changing my mind come E3, not with all the rumours circulating about pre owned games, I don't buy many but usually me and my brother lend each other PS3 games. Has anyone already pre ordered a PS4? I haven't yet, still seems a bit early.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
@TM - Sony did have the right balance, and I think their show won on the whole. But Microsoft got shunted by Sony releasing their conference so early, they didn't expect it, and so they figured if they just went to what they were going to do originally (Save E3 for games), it just came up a bit short. But it was still a decent reveal for their main market (USA) IMO.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Spear25 - I have, I just put it in there so I knew how much I'd be spending with some new games etc. As soon as some bundles come out, I'll be getting on them.
troublemaker 4 years ago
@DW i kind of agree. but MS put their show back a month after the Sony reveal. they could have easily put something a bit more dynamic together in that time. Imagine the backlash if Sony only focused on the Japanese market. Not knocking MS for going for their main market, I'm knocking them for completely ignoring the rest of us
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
It's true, it should be a thing where you have everyone in the world sorted out together. I know Sony neglects MLB from us in Europe, but they don't use MLB as one of their selling points over here. They only use it in America, where the sport is played. Where as Microsoft tell everyone about these TV things, these Sports apps etc. and forget to mention to the main public that it will only be an American application.
jonathon 4 years ago
i have a great idea what about making a console just for gaming !!!!!!!
They did, it's called the PS4
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I just pre-ordered The Last of Us, first PS game I have bought since LBP.. might as well make the slow transition over to PS... TM whats your tag again I'll add you up this evening
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
You're a good man Pyro. Should have got Kingdom Hearts though. Can't wait for that.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
ill miss you pyro :-( might still be tempted to join to be honest but as it stands im out voted in the house! ive voted to not bother at all at the moment
troublemaker 4 years ago
TroubleMaker411 look forward to seeing you on there matey. I'm on, probably ingoring all real games to play dust tonight. I've neglected my machine in favour of car hunting the last week or so, so tonight I'm gonna earn my spot in my corporation! Come join me my friend!
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'm waiting for the GOW TLOU demo before I make an order. will more than likely rent.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I'll get KH too that was one of my favourite games in days gone by! one at a time though
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Aye it was one of my favourites too. Disney + FF. What's not to love.
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
PS4 side. Making people pay to play used/or borrowed games is a joke. But yeah, no...upgrading the PC seems like the way to go depending on the console exclusives.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I've just looked through IGN's report on confirmed Xboner information and it has nothing that makes me want to get it... like at all, I would sacrifice Mass Effect that's how little I want a One
troublemaker 4 years ago
console exclusives will keep me coming back to consoles. until BOTH consoles become unusable locked down media machines, then I'll go back to PC.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
ps4 side for me as well , they have all the games i like might go both at some point but at the moment staying with sony i don't like the direction xbox one is heading
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Some twitter reports coming out that the cheering heard at the conference was by MS employes behind the stage and not from the journalists in the crowd.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I've decided to pre order my PS4 today, also pre ordered Infamous Second Son. Looking forward to E3, I wonder when we will get a release date and price. Can't see it happening at E3 though. But in all fairness the Xbox One reveal was exactly how most people expected it to be.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I think everything'll be revealed at E3 really. It's the big time to release information, and gives time for people to save up for stuff. Microsoft'll have to make things right, as I think Sony will have 'counters' for them come the later conference.
Not fussed with either X1 or PS4 so far, maybe E3 will change my mind but so far neither look worth the expense of early adoption for me. The Wii U will continue to fill my next gen needs just fine for the next year or so I think.
troublemaker 4 years ago
I still won't pre-order. only because I won't have time to appreciate it at launch. I'll grab a PS4, KZ4, Infamous 3, and a big bundle of shit. gonna take a frtnight off of work and dive in come the new year
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 4 years ago
I was quite excited by the reveal in all honesty, the instant switching and no loading times (no waiting in lobbies) is quite useful for me, and snapping between the footy and games will be cool if I just need to check the score or watch a replay of a goal or whatever. I would've liked more game information and actual gameplay shown, but with E3 just around the corner, it was never going to happen. My iPhone still works just as well as a phone as my house phone, I saw nothing to suggest that Xbox One will be worse for games because of its other features.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
I've litterally just been sat here thinking what is the big rush to get a next gen console? I might wait until they release a slim model which irons out all the flaws with the original batch.
troublemaker 4 years ago
this is why I'm waiting until at least the new year. not necessarily a slim model, but I'll let them iron out the issues that the first SKU gets that don't show til the kids burn them out at Christmas!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
TM - That's what basically I'm doing but on release time. Release date, PS4 bundle with a second controller implemented. KZ4, Infamous 3 and FIFA 14. 2 weeks sorted.
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'd love to do it on release day. I really would. But as much faith as I have in Sony, I'd like to see them work out the kinks in the firmware first. New year and a fortnight off with baby at childcare! Haha! Also gives me time to kill my PS3 pile of Shame beofre i get a PS4 one!
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
I just wait on PS4 price to be announced ad E3 and then I gonna pay my Pre order full out + 1 Controller
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Well said!
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Was trying to get this to show up but they have still stopped us! http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18oh09l9gc3p4gif/ku-medium.gif