Phil Harrison explains game sharing on Xbox One

Microsoft's Phil Harrison has once again tried to clarify issues surrounding the game sharing aspect of Xbox One, although there is still some slight confusion.

"So, think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game," he said to Eurogamer. "If I buy the disc from a store, I use that disc in my machine, I can give that disc to my son and he can play it on his 360 in his room. We both can't play at the same time, but the disc is the key to playing. I can go round to your house and give you that disc and you can play on that game as well.

"What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [So] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system."

Harrison then talked about what happens when you go around to a friends house with your game.

"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game," he explained.

"The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

"The bits that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it. That's no different to how discs operate today."

Harrison also made a brief comment about how you'll be able to trade previously paid games, although an announcement regarding this in due course.

"We will have a system where you can take that digital content and trade a previously played game at a retail store," Harrison said, before reiterating that they are "not announcing the details of that today, but we will have announced in due course."

We aren't sure how this will work if say, you have two consoles in the same household. Will you still be able to share games without a fee? This much is unclear as above Harrison says you'll be able to share games on the "same system."

There are certainly plenty of questions. Hopefully E3 will bring the answers.

Edited On 22 May, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
THat answered NOTHING! I'm concerned about multiple users across multiple machines in the same house. I'm not going to put my disc in to, say, my kids xbox, in the same house, and pay to play again to play the game. that's not how this shit works microsoft.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Well thats cleared that up then I dont think they could of made it more confusing but going from that you need the internet to play any game
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
what i got. You play your game, it's installed on your box. You take your game to a mates place, you can play on your live account, they want to play on theirs, they pay. the only way your game can be played without paying is on your live account, OR on the box it's installed to, with user permissions, nope nope and nope.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. So if I want to buy a preowned game I have to pay twice.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
WTF I DONT GET IT!!!! think im thick
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
on your profile always free, i think. on someone elses profile, with permission, on your box, free. lend the game out, mate wants to play it on his box on his live profile, pay for it
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Aye it's always free, but it will have to install itself on your mates device, so it'll either take space from your mate forever, or you'll have to reinstall it everytime you go around his house. You'll also have to have your user saved on your mates computer, which'd be annoying too.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
This is similar how XBLA works. When you buy the game and download-it to your console, all users on that console can play it. (the license is stored on the console). If you transfer the game on a flash drive you can play it on your friends xbox but ONLY with YOUR account. There is no licence stored on your friends machine. Once again, similar not the same.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
So you can play your game on any console you want as long as your gamertag is on the console and is used to play the game if any other gamertag is used it wont work unless you have given permission for them to use it but I guess that will be restricted to something like 3.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Seems like a giant pile of crap, ruined the rental market for me. guess I'll have to find another hobby that is less expensive than this looks like it will be.
lilmisschicken's avatar
lilmisschicken 4 years ago
I'm so glad that I'm the only person that uses xbox in my household otherwise that would be really confusing lol
lilmisschicken's avatar
lilmisschicken 4 years ago
Apnomis's avatar
Apnomis 4 years ago
So the Xbox One will require a compulsory internet connection to manage all the DRM on the discs and it sounds like the games will all require a compulsory HDD install as well?! Way to alienate most of your current market share Microsoft! My advice is that true 360 'gamers' start getting used to the layout of the Dualshock 4 because the Xbox One is not a console for gamers! In fact I bet 3rd party peripheral manufactures are working on a version of DS4 pad with the left stick and d-pad reversed as we speak! The only question left to be answered from Sony and Microsoft now is how much they will retail for. If the PS4 is cheaper as well as having a higher spec and being more games-centric it could end up walking the next gen 'console war'...
MrPenguinKnight's avatar
MrPenguinKnight 4 years ago
This is horrendous. My reading of it is that you install the disc to your XOne hardrive and everyone's gamertag on that Box can play that game on that box. Try and put the disc in any other box and you have to pay for it UNLESS one of the original gamertags is on the new box in which case they have to be signed in to play it. I wonder if grouping the households gamertags to one box before installing a game and then moving them again to their own box allows them the license to play the game on their own box? Ether way it's needlessly complicated and will definitely hurt sales.
SpartanSpur's avatar
SpartanSpur 4 years ago
I only see this as bad news really, for numerous reasons:- 1) Any time MS are vague about something, it is normally because it won't be popular (see their announcement of 8GB ram, but leaving out the fact it was the inferior/cheaper GDDR3) 2) Regardless of what they say, this will kill the trade in market as we know it. I can forsee something like selling your digital rights back to Microsoft here, with trade in amounts being much lower due to effectively only selling half a game. 3) Disk space! Sounds like a big chunk of each game is installed. Now games are on blu ray I imagine these installs could be 15gb or higher. 500GB will not go far! Maybe some of this will be helped by the cloud? Microsoft have really dropped the ball so far with Xbox One.
SpartanSpur's avatar
SpartanSpur 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Games on PS3 are usually between 7gb and 14gb to install, atleast the ones I've went on to install.
clubpit's avatar
clubpit 4 years ago
This is just about the worst case scenario for me. Currently with five Xbox in the house (four teenage sons and me), we buy a game once and share it amongst us; total cost ~£40 and then a trade in value. To get the same experience on Xbox One we're expected to pay ~£200 per game and no trade in value? I'll pass, thanks.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
Just pre-ordered............... A PS4. The one just is not for me, It's a great piece of technology, but I don't watch TV, I don't want to pay for services to stream films. I don't have Blu Ray dvds. Using internet is far more practical and easier on a laptop with a keyboard and real mouse, which I already own. I don't have a skype account (nor want one). I'm generally not interested in what is 'trending', I watch/listen to what I want, not follow what others are. I'm not interested in anything Kinect has to offer.
Isn't this the same dickhead who presided over the mess that was the PS3 launch?
I agree with everything you say Merle but not having Blu-Rays. You really should
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Blu-rays are absolutely the way forward! HD TV is nothing compared to a well made BD
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The only things I buy now are blu-rays. But you only realise this once you have a blu-ray player. I'd happily have sat on DVDs if I had an xbox, but once you have the PS3/PS4, you'll get your first blu-ray and be hooked.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
There are still films I can't buy because they ain't available on BD and I refuse to buy them in DVD format. BD is infinitely superior
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 4 years ago
To be honest, I don't really lend games to my mates anymore (when did I get old?) but I can see why the lack of information about this is damaging the reputation of Xbox One before it even gets going. I was impressed by the overall presentation, I was impressed by the technology and the 15 exclusive titles, but they seriously needed to address some of these questions to avoid the media sh*t-storm that's now developed. Their PR department needs to do some serious work now.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
It's not a common thing I do, but at least one mate borrowed my Bulletstorm because he wasn't impressed with the demo. Borrowed it, loved it, bought it. Another sle, from a rental. perfect.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Aye, I rarely do loan out games. But sometimes we take FIFA to a mates who doesn't have it, or I'll give my mate a loan of Batman as he's too skint to purchase it etc.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
I'll have to try out these blu-ray a majigs, I just can't get to grips with something having better picture quality when they're both of real things, it seems space age.
It's like the old re-runs of Friends. The difference between the First Episode and the Last Episode (Blu-Rays aren't as much of a jump as the example but you get the picture)
viggy's avatar
viggy 4 years ago
I'm a huge gamer and a MS fan but this, well, they've just lost the game with this.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 4 years ago
I don't really get what's the big deal? this has been the norm for PC gamers for a long time, if i buy a game on steam or activate a disc on my PC and then get bored of it, i can't then give it to a friend or family member. I honestly don't mind if it goes this way, BUT the games then need to be reduced in price simular to PC games so average of £25-£30
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
There's the big deal though, you answered your own question. PC games are far cheaper. not by a pound or two, but closer to half the price of a console game. except in rare **Cough** Origin **cough** cases
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 4 years ago
Yeah but like i said, if Xbox one games are cheaper then i have no problem with this really. If they do this and still release all games at £40 then for single player games then that will be a big mistake.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I would love it, but, if the same amount of profit could be made by charging £25, can you see EA or Acti NOT seeing insta-profit from keeping them at £45?
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
This is just spin really. They are basically saying you can't play pre-owned games without paying more for it so wont be buying an Xbox One. They are also saying you will need to be connected you your account to validate the game so this will mean an internet connection is needed despite it not being an 'always online console'. Shame really because I was looking forward to this. Hopefully Sony won't follow suit and they can clean up here. If they follow the same model (which they could) I will be cancelling my PS4 preorder as well. Quite happy with the PS3 and 360 for now.
Bonesinferno's avatar
Bonesinferno 4 years ago
So in other words your friends cant borrow your games. I work for a game distribution company and one of my jobs is to test games for languages in new games and faults in returns. This basically means I wont be able to test "faulty" ones because it would be linked to owner. And we would have to write one off for every new game coming out on every different barcode because it will link to the testing X Box. What a stupid idea.