Xbox One won't support old controllers

Xbox One will not support old Xbox 360 controllers or other devices according to a statement released by Microsoft.

"Xbox One was designed from the ground up with entirely new technology to deliver a new generation of experiences for both games and entertainment For example, the Wireless Controller will connect to the console using high speed data transfer to enable higher fidelity headset audio and future controller add-on experiences that are not possible with Xbox 360 wireless technology.

"Additionally, the all-new Kinect sensor's ability to locate the wireless controller is dependent on new technology. In order for Xbox One to deliver robust, meaningful gaming scenarios for all users across all experiences, only Xbox One controllers and accessories will work with the new console."

We are also hearing rumours that an Xbox headset may not be included this time around as Kinect will be the default communication device, although we can't clarify this at the moment.

In addition to the above, you cannot replace the 500GB HDD, so you'll need to go external if you want more storage space.

On the bright side, you can pre-order the new controller below.

Edited On 22 May, 2013

Comments
GQRDY's avatar
GQRDY 4 years ago
so my turtle beach xp400 for my 360 will be completely useless?
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
All the need is to have a standard 2.5 audio port on the controller and you'll be fine mate.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
thats a good point i didnt see any mention of a headset at all! any rumours on if they will still be using headsets of the f*ckin kinect as a mic!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I think you will be still be able to use headsets they just wont come with the box. Wouldnt want to use kinect as a mic. The controller support is to be expected not many consoles have backwards comapatability on controllers.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Rumours going about that it will just be Kinnect you use, but not everybody wants to talk so having ot have the Kinnect on and so being forced to talk is a ballache.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I've tried the kinect for voice chat, and I've used it in FIFA and Madden. It picks up the in game commentary and if there is bad timing with what happens on field the game thinks you are being aggressive towards the officials, and if that happens too often you get fired as manager of Wolves.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
let me say this. If I buy an xbox at some point in the future, and I am forced to have the kinect on and trasmitting, I will simply sit my iPad infront of it playing and endless loop of redtube videos until MS allow me to turn it off, or better still, turn on the machine with it unplugged
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Apparently the machine can't turn on with it unplugged.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
That's because you have to say "Xbox On" to turn it on
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
LOW BLOW WITH THE WOLVES COMMENT JM lol
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
So if you are getting hot and heavy with your wife/girlfriend and one of you say oh you really turn me on will the console automatically switch on? Also if your on the phone to a mate and say I havent switched my Xbox on in months will it switch on as well?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Exactly. Designed to make you a liar!
Konakona's avatar
Konakona 4 years ago
The more I hear about the new Xbox, The less professional it sounds. To me it sounds like microsoft is trying way to hard to be futuristic. Assuming it's true that you can say "xbox on" to turn it on. What is the point? It doesn't take 2 seconds to push the "on" button. I think everything that could go wrong for microsoft with their announcement, has gone wrong. Last console they got the jump on sony, however this time around I think sony holds the advantage.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Also, Shep why didn't you join the party, Pyro and I had a great laugh.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Here's my take on Kinect for TV, just in general. Kinect is like wii, best used when standing in front of it. Well, my living room isn't set up like that, it's long and narrow and as such there is no one sofa at the end, there are two sofas, one on either side. If I'm laying on one of them, I'm completely out of FOV of the kinect. So I would have to get up to go swiping through shit? No thanks, the sky remote is fine for me.
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 4 years ago
Realistically, I never expected it to support older controllers. Are they really going to launch Forza 5 without a steering wheel though? Having shelled out £300 on a Fanatec CSR wheel I'd like to know if there is any way such an accessory can be 'updated' for use with Xbox One. In terms of Kinect, as I understand it, the camera tracking is that good that it would recognise you lying down @troublemaker and would still respond to your gestures.
AJR-Legend's avatar
AJR-Legend 4 years ago
To be expected... not sure why anyone would be annoyed.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
My point it, i'm out of line of sight of it the way i sis in my living room, I'd need to move, or it couldn't see me!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
my headset is in a state i have to basically tape it to my head and the kids and wife were making a lot of background noise! plus i would of got nothing but stick haha!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Currently I have an image of Shep looking like Rick Moranis in the brain wave analyser in ghostbusters. I need an xbox just so I can play with that man!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
im actually really annoyed i feel MS have personally made me look a C*** i shouldnt of been so openly optimistic!! wankers lol
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
haha! It's alright mate, when Sony come to screw us over at E3, you can laugh at me!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I want to see a Xboner sitting next to the Xbox Classic, 360 fatboy and a slim
MCD650's avatar
MCD650 4 years ago
Pretty sure no console has ever been back compatible with controllers (except the Wii that is (Gamecube could be used on WII, WII can be used on WIIU)...so this is not a surprise, at all.
You can get an adapter for the PS3 to use PS2 pads and an adapter for the Wii U to use Gamecube pads. So who's to say that the same won't be for the Xbox "One"
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
PS1 and PS2 were backwards and sometimes forwards compatible
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I've used the same keyboard over multiple PC for the last few years :)
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Not been able to use Xbox 360 controller is just another way for Microsoft to ripoff it's customers. You can't swift the HDD, but it support EXT HDD - Waits on Microsoft Xbox One EXT HDD
Can you use PS3 controllers on the PS4?
Hymeleon's avatar