Tuesday Chat, May 28

It's been a nice long weekend, although it'll be a while before we get another bank holiday, so I hope you made the most of it.

Anyway, it's back to the world of gaming and it's been a fairly quiet weekend, with the exception of Microsoft continuing to back out of the mess it currently finds itself in. That and PlayStation fans starting a campaign to convince Sony to not follow Microsoft's lead in terms of DRM and Pre-owned games, even though no-one knows Sony's plans as of yet.

So there we go. That's what gaming news has been up to, what have you been up to?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 28 May, 2013

Comments
troublemaker 4 years ago
Naff all! Started on Uncharted 2 finally, but shelved it to play with new laptop and fix my poor car! Got a BBQ in though, the Sunday sun was beautiful for setting fire to crazy amounts of meat while drinking cold beer!
I can't remember what I did. (Not a good sign is it?)
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Can anyone answer me if Shopto will get the preorder for Deadpool? I can't find it anywhere
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Got a bit of gaming in this weekend gave some love to my PS3 by finally getting round to play Journey which was awesome and then made a start on Ratchet And Clank A Crack In Time. Forgot how good the proper Ratchet games are.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
I can't answer Pyro. I presume if it's not there then we aren't. I'll ask our buyer for you and post back when I know :)
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
appreciated, cheers Joe
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
Hi Pyro. I just remembered, we aren't stocking Activision games any more until they change their policy re: Online retailers. As they allow retailers such as GAME to have midnight openings but don't send us stock in enough time for us to be able to fulfil our delivery promise.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Holy Shit! Didn't realise you'd killed ALL Acti games, thought it was just CoD!
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
No it's all Activision games as far as I'm aware.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Ok cheers
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Oh right I never knew it was all activisions games just thought it was COD.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I haven't played an acti-game since Prototype 2. So, this isn't all that bad I guess
Same, I thought is was just COD that they have wrapped tightly around their rotten little finger. Not all the games
troublemaker 4 years ago
I don't think it is all Acti stuff, Shopto are still taking pre-orders for Destiny
I don't think it will matter how early people get Destiny when it's released since Acti won't make the servers live the the game hits the release date anyway (Unless you pay them a little extra of course)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I had a too drunk saturday night, followed by a Sunday feeling sorry for myself. Started AC3 eventually, it's actually quite a good game so far (Just got ot when I take over as the native american kid), but my god is the snow annoying.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Right I'm off to Marrakech tomorrow so I'll catch up with all you delinquents when I get back in 10 days. Have a great week.. and a bit
I have the Assassin's Creed Anthology sat on top of my bookcase, next to the Ni No Kuni Wizards Edition. Yet to play either
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Damn. That Anthology looks like something I'd like to own.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Enjoy your hols Pyro, see you when you get back!
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
played a bit of uncharted and darksiders starting to love that got the second one waiting , other wise a quiet one . looking forward to the last of us demo this week as well
troublemaker 4 years ago
I loved darksiders. One of my favourite games, with an ending that just had me dying for more! It's a shame that, IMHO, the sequel didn't quite measure up!
Who has the Darksiders IP now? I forgot
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
got 2 more bosses to hunt down now , love how much you can upgrade war with moves , giving gow a run for his money. need to start on castlevaina soon as well meaning to start it
troublemaker 4 years ago
Nordic Games! They got that, MX vs ATV and Red Faction I think.
troublemaker 4 years ago
I didn't like Castlevania. The platforming was quite severely broken in places. it was a really bad clone of God of War. The combat in DS1 was awesome, it perfect for button mashers and perfectionist alike and always felt powerful. I think that's what was missing in DS2, that and the fact it was too damn long and RPG-ish(i know that was the point, but I didn't like it)
What has Nordic Games made of note, Anyone?
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
yeah that's why i picked up ds2 because of the rpg elements mixed in thought i would pick up on the first story though so i knew what was happening . another note tryed gowa on hard getting my ass handed to me man thats tough slowly getting through though
Try Resident Evil 6 on No Hope mode. I keep dying cos I have to uncontrollable urge to Punch & Kick everything to death
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
@nox Think all Nordic have really made is a load of Wii Shovelware games like We Sing and dance party
troublemaker 4 years ago
Not enjoying Ascension at all. I can't keep focused on it. I'm playing for 10-20 minutes at a time before I get bored and move on. Not impressed at all with it.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Castlevania was more a Ninja Gaiden clone. Couldn't button mash your way through it, but some of the fighting was just meh. I need to get back in to it as it had potential but not holding out hope I sink the40 hours required into it.
That doesn't give me a lot of hope for Darksiders 3
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
there is a report on cvg saying sony might be going down the same route as xbox1 on pre owned games hope this is not going to be true
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
fuse seems to be getting mixed reviews as well seems it might not do so well , when can we expect the shop to review joe may give it a go
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
I think sony will go the same way kratos, people assumed that when they said you could play second hand games it would be free.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I wouldn't be suprised, but then again I'm not a second hand gamer so it doesn't really bother me. It will just mean my mates won't be able to loan from me.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
yoda i like to keep a collection of games so it might not effect me any way but still would like to have pre owned as a option. when they done away with online passes i bet this was the reason behind it
troublemaker 4 years ago
Sony will probably go the same way, but hopefully not as bad. Geoff Keighly is the report's source though, so it holds about as much water as a sieve! Still, i'll seriously consider not buying if Sony go as extreme as MS seem to be going. Not because I can't buy pre-owned, but because it fucks up trade in prices if I happen to buy a game that should have been great but turned out to be shit.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i see what you mean i have brought many games pre owned cause i knew it was not worth full price its nice to have that option available to you
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I am slowly coming round to the Idea Sony will have some system in place for used games I am surprised they havent got much flak for it so far as they havent really confirmed anything. From what has been said you wont be able to sell used XB1 games on ebay and amazon so if the PS4 lets you do that could make a bit of difference.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
TM thats the thing, you will end up only buying games that you know will be good because i guess the trade in prices will be poor. And i can soon see there being no middle ground with games you will have indie,arcade,psn games and then AAA tittles we have played a thousand times because no one will take a chance on a new ip.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Also used games market is good for picking up older games as where can you pick up a new copy of games such as Lost Odyssey, Deadly Premonition, Infinite Undiscovery and Split/Second for the 360.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
some news on mcv that there is a twitter campaign started for sony to change there minds about this , can't see it affecting them though if they have made up there minds
Played RE Revelations and DKCR3D mainly over the weekend, both improvements on their original releases. Loving Raid mode even more with RE.net functionality, Miiverse integration is fun too, been posting plenty of comedy speech bubbles for the monsters. New mode is a great help on DKCR3D, such a hard game on Wii, but I've managed to get further on 3DS in one weekend than I ever managed on Wii, I blame the forced motion controls for my lack of progress on the Wii version. Sneaked in a bit of online Monster Hunter with a friend too, completed some quests, failed others, but had fun the whole time, and shared some stories too. Didn't find time for the turds Lovefilm sent me at all, try and at least give one of them a go before Thursday when I have to send them back to get GRID2 and Fuse for next weekend.
troublemaker 4 years ago
But here's the thing. New IP comes out, I'm not sure about it, while reviews etc are a good guide, I prefer to make up my own opinion. But if I don't have the opportunity to trade in a new IP that looked good, but turned out to be utter shite (let's say, for example, Aliens: Colonial Marines) for a decent price that week, then I won't risk it. If others follow suit, with the lack of demos nowadays, all these new IPs will vanish and you and me are stuck awaiting Gears of Duty 47! You see where I'm coming from? Killing pre-owned (and probably rentals with it) kills the opportunity to try something you weren't sure about!
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Like a few others above I don't generally buy 2nd hand games so that aspect wouldn't bother me, but I certainly do sell a lot of my games onto Cex so that aspect certainly would bother me!
Nail on the head TM, I don't buy so much these days, mainly due to games being a let down, and being able to rent them, and they're taking away our options. Things going this way could lead to another crash, it's been overdue for a while I reckon.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
Thats what im getting TM people will end up not buying games they are unsure off. But i have said it before i am not rushing into this gen i have loads of games on my xbox 360 and ps3 to keep me going for ages.
troublemaker 4 years ago
I'm torn. I want to support these devs, I want to support the next gen, but if I get locked down so bad that it feels like a chore just to get a game, I will quit gaming altogether and find another hobby. learning to tow caravans by my genitals perhaps?
troublemaker 4 years ago
yeah, sorry man, I read your post wrong and knee-jerked my response! A thousand apologies :)
In cases like Colonial Marines and Star Trek, I could tell they were going to be bad by the fact that the reviews were on embargo till release. Never a good sign
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
To be honest i could do with finding a new hobby i spend way to much time on games.
I don't think you spend enough time on games
troublemaker 4 years ago
Aliens was just an example. plenty of decent games have release day embargo attached to them. When no review code is sent out, then it's a warning sign. But even then, reviews are subjective aren't they? us lot have all agreed/disagreed on the quality of some titles. If I am one of 9 people to think the Grand Theft Auto 5 is rubbish, I would like to have the opportunity to sell it on flea bay and make a few bob back to cover my next game. Similarly, the majority of people hated the medal of honor reboot in 2010, they all traded them in, I kept mine, I still play it. it's awesome! You see what I mean?
Aliens wasn't that bad really, its major problem was cosmetic really. Metro Last Light is of a similar quality on the gameplay, but is doing much better because of story and presentation.
troublemaker 4 years ago
I've not played it. It's on my rental list. I knew I wasn't going to touch it after Rebellion's AvP game. I'm constantly disappointed by Alien/Predator games now, So I don't bother. Last light, like you said, get's forgiven alot because of the fantastic story, I'm good with that, story is more important than anything for me.
When game has a review embargo for on or after release I take that to mean the publisher doesn't have any faith in the game, so why so we?
You can give me the most dull and uninteresting gameplay ever but if the game has a great story,I will power through
troublemaker 4 years ago
But it's not always the case. Granted, it's pretty common, but you wouldn't suddenly ignore your favourite franchise because the publisher didn't send out review code would you?
My point is that since the publisher doesn't have faith in the game, Why should be pay full price for it. There is a lot to be said for publishers that don't give out review copy's cos they know the game is bad (Cough*Star Trek*Cough) and a publisher who knows their game is bad but still gives out review copy's (Neverdead) It doesn't matter if some people will enjoy the game (I liked Neverdead) it's just them wanting you to part with your money for a crappy product.
troublemaker 4 years ago
There's no doubt that it is common practice. But there are definitely other reasons behind it that I don't pretend to understand having not worked in PR. I like when a publisher/Dev has obvious confidence in their games and sends review code. But I do think that, especially in busy periods, it's equally to do with not wanting to get their reviews lost in the ether of winter game season. just me being Naive?
I would say so but then who am I to say that
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
The used game policy will only work if two things happen. 1) Retail price is reduced to match PC. 2) All games get a demo. If at least one of those happens I'll be happy.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
does anyone else think bioshock infinite is overrated? finished it on friday didn't enjoy it!
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 4 years ago
The only good thing to come out of this Pre-owed nonsense will be shops like Game will have to charge a fair price for buying and selling in order to gain your business, at the moment you can trade in a 2 week old game and only get £20 for it, they then re-price it at £32, not bad profit. So as long as the retailers take notice and charge accordingly and Sony only charge a very minimal online only playing fee, I wont be put off by this Pre-owed situation, anyway i buy most of my games from shopto anyway, there new prices are cheaper than retailers Pre-owed sometimes............And to finish i don't care if you stop selling Activision games for ever , i'am a Playstation gamer and do get a bit fed up with this love affair with Microsoft and greed...that Activision have.......No offence Xbox gamers this isn't aimed at you....
troublemaker 4 years ago
Toot, yeah, kind of. Over rated it a bit strong I think, but I sincerely believe that while infinite was an excellent game, it really did suffer from being called Bioshock. It didn't live up to the hype that was built up for it. Great game, but irrational were trying way too hard
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Been playing Super Metroid, Super Mario Picross, tiny bit of Resident Evil. Plenty of Fire Emblem: Awakening and plenty of Pirate Warriors 2. Unlocked everyone now except BB. Was more than a little amused when I failed at the final level so much as Luffy and Whitebeard yet pwned it with Robin.
Yep, BI was a good game, but it wasn't all that. I find a lot of games these days getting over rated like that.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I didn't think Bioshock Infinite was THAT good. As stated in my review a few weeks back. It felt like a below average FPS with a GREAT final hour. It was decent enough but nowhere near worth the praise it's getting