PS4 remote play could be mandatory

PS Vita Remote Play will be mandatory for all non-camera based PS4 games according to a new report.

Eurogamer has news from a 'trusted source' that Sony is asking developers to include the ability to play PS4 games over the PS Vita if users require. This means that every game, except those that make use of the PSEye, will be playable on your PS Vita.

Remote Play works by downscaling the 1080p framebuffer to the Vita's native 960x544 resolution, using the PS4's in-built hardware h.264 video encoder to compress the image. This is then beamed out over WiFi to the Vita, which decodes the video and sends back controller inputs to the PlayStation 4.

PlayStation 4 features bespoke hardware video encoding for Remote Play as well as screen-sharing support with all the benefits of the Gaikai streaming technology, therefore since this feature is built into the operating system itself there is  no performance penalty to developers.

How do you feel about playing PS4 games on your PS Vita? Sounds like a good plan to us.

Edited On 29 May, 2013

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
this sounds like a cracking idea! finally make use of my vita which is collecting dust!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I love the idea, so long as cheeky devs don't shoe-horn in PSEye integration so they don't have to enable remote play!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Brilliant really. Aslong as it doesn't have any effect on us non-Vita holding customers, it's all good. It may push me towards getting a vita in hte future too.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Ahhhhhh so Sony arent happy with the 300 quid plus for the new console they want me to buy a Vita too how silly of me. Hey its great if you got a Vita merry christmas to you all you all now have something to look forward to actually using your Vita for. I dont own a Vita so much like the resta all this nexr gen news at the mo I pretty much dont care about any of it, Ive pre ordered the lot but I can see me hitting that bright green 'Cancel order' if E3 doesnt impress
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
Great news, this should help the Vita sales pick up once the PS4 is released. I have been thinking about getting a Vita for a while now but I am waiting for E3 to see if there is a price drop announcement for the UK.
That would be quite good
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Inspector 74 - They would like you to buy a vita yes, but they're not forcing you to. They're basically just giving Vita owners something to be happy about....Bit of a weird rant.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
any whizzkids out there tell me if i will just need a wifi network or will i need fast internet because due to no fibre optic currenlty where i live and living out in the sticks i only get 1mb broadband atm.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
i've never tried it from outside my house, chiefly because remote play is kinda pants. But I can't be arsed to forward to ports in my router to make it work from outside!
CHRIS 4 years ago
Tootell - internet isn't an issue here, it'll all be local. They had this on PS3 with PSP but I don't think many games supported it due to the lack of buttons and sticks on the PSP... PS Vita is a bit closer to a PS4 pad but I'm sure it'll still give developers some headaches! At least Sony are forcing developers into it rather than making it optional as doing that will never get devs onboard!
GamingBrad's avatar
GamingBrad 4 years ago
It will be a long time before I pick up the vita or the ps4. I'm in no rush to get either, there are far too many games I need to add to my collection for ps3 before I make the leap to ps4. I'll wait for it to go down before I purchase one. The only thing that bugs me is the vita trophies should be added to the normal trophy count- Rather than separately. - Plus the vita has no major games other than wipeout and uncharted golden abyss.
KEVIN 4 years ago
so 200 for a vita and whatever the ps4 will cost to do this, no ta
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
kevin- no one is forcing you to do this or to buy a vita its just another addition to the console
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
This is awesome. This is one of those killer features that the PS4 will have. I like the idea of remote play. I am a long time Xbox fan, but... I like the PS4 more and more :)
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
great news i was thinking of picking up a vita soon anyway so this is a win win situation for me , interesting on how it will look
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
vita trophies are added to the regular count. IMy trophy list on PS3 shows both, in the order they were played
shotgun75's avatar
shotgun75 4 years ago
As I have Vita this is great news. Anything to get some value out of what is a great device which, at the moment, lacks enough great games. One concern is that this could dissuade developers from making Vita specific games.
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 4 years ago
So to be clear this will only work locally over a wifi network? Other than potentially playing in your garden, which I have no real desire to do, why would you bother playing on your Vita and not just play full-screen on your TV? I feel like I'm missing something, or is this just a total gimmick?
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I am struggling to see where it says you have to buy a vita its just a little bonus if you own a vita
The same reason you would play on the Wii U Gamepad
shotgun75's avatar
shotgun75 4 years ago
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
I supose you can play it when someone else wants to watch the tv bit like the wii u but more money :)
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
Remember you don't need a Vita. This is just a bonus if you already own one or are considering one. Vita is pretty awesome at the moment anyway, plenty of games on PSN + PlayStation Plus.
Nice plug Joe
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Having a PS+ Sub has made my Vita invaluable. I have bought 5 games for it, yet I own about 25. Excellent bit of kit!
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I'm expecting this to be a pretty big leap over Vita/PS3 remote play (Which is already decent enough for the most part) due to Vita streaming being built into the PS4 hardware at an OS level rather than something that needs patched into titles on a game by game basis as on PS3. Should be interesting to see how it turns out if nothing else.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I haven't got a Vita yet but because I'm tempted by it I have downloaded free Vita games through PS Plus onto my PS3 ready to copy over once I get one. I will probably download Rayman next month too.
Bit of a misleading title to the article, it does make it sound like you need a Vita. Good idea though, because it was Nintendo's ;)
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Other way around. Remote play predates the Wii U by a good few years.
Yep, Gamecube and GBA were doing it years ago ;)
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
No. That functionality did not exist between those two devices.
It did for the Four Swords
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
prometheus it did using a link cable.. it is basically the same thing.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Would rather see Sony focus on making games for the console than using it as a screen. But it's a nice feature for those who already own a Vita.
Pacman Vs too Nox ;)
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Ah, so none of you actually know what "remote play" is. My fault for assuming I guess.