Thursday Chat, May 30

Today's topic is about games journalism. What do you think of games journalists. Do you value their opinion? What are your favourite websites? When scouring the web for gaming news or opinion what are you generally looking for?

Also what types of articles do you like? Do you like thought provoking opinion, news, reviews or previews?

Do you think some journalists are biased, or just don't know what they are talking about?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 30 May, 2013

Comments
troublemaker 4 years ago
I like a few. There are a few writers (news and reviews) that I respect and if they say something is good or bad, I tend to pay attention because they've proven themselves to be more than just guys that hate a certain genre or franchise. I used to be a fully paying member of gamespot, spending all my free time on their boards etc, but the community turned to shit really quickly. I still follow a couple of the journo's on Twitter (Kevin Van Ord is a real favourite of mine) but I only jump on the site now and them for quick reviews. News/Reviews and community, I tend to swing towards shopto now.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I listen to a few podcasts Giant Bomb, IGN and in the last week or so started to listen to videogameruk podcast. There is usually 3 or 4 in the room each week so you get differeing opinions on games and topics. I do think some journalists are biased but thats be expected if I feel they are biased then dont really pay attention to what they have to say. But do feel some reviewers do get a stupid amount of abuse for there reviews like when people gave Resident Evil a low score alot of the internet jumped on them giving them abuse. My opinion is I can choose what I like myself what someone else scored it makes no difference to me but I welcome other peoples opinions on games. Off topic got an email from Amazon this morning saying you can preorder the PS4 for 599.99!!! I hope that isnt the actual price.
troublemaker 4 years ago
sounds like a placeholder. setting it high so they don't get stung by their pre-order price promise. The same way shopto changed all their next gen prices to TBC.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Exactly my opinion on the matter TM in regards to Amazon. - I read a few reviews and stuff, and only keep up to date on news rather than journalists in regards to gaming things. I'll go on any site and read trhough stuff as long as it's regularly kept up to date and is easily readable rather than looking ugly and filled with ads.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Your probably right Trouble just doesnt look that good for Sony as it will put a lot of people off. If I was Sony I would ask them to take it down if they know the price isnt going to be anywhere near that.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I have just looked they have the Xbox One at the same price maybe its not that clever thinking on Amazons side if customers dont know about preorder promises and see that price and then its announced at say £399 then they will go elsewhere. If I do preorder it wont be till I know date and price then can scout around to see who has the best bundle for me.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
I read/watch reviews on a few sites: gamespot, gametrailers, ign and now on ShopTo as well. I still have no problems with the reviews on ShopTo, but on the other sites, there are some obvious problems. Most of the time I tend to agree with gametrailers and IGN, but there are cases when I can't help but think that something is wrong. Maybe it is just me not liking what I read, but take this example: Call of Duty Black Ops II last year on gametrailers. It won the game of the year awards. They said it had great graphics (really?), great gameplay (ok, it has cool gameplay), INNOVATION (seriosuly, innovation?), non-linear story (wow, like the other games didn't have any). I think Call of Duty is a great game, but come on, this is an annual series that doesn't bring anything new to the table (or what it brings is something minimal). And then you have Halo 4. In my opinion Halo 4 was great. It had everything that the previous games had, and I liked it a lot. BUT suddenly the lack of innovation (read completely new stuff), bugged the reviewers. Really? Call of Duty and FIFA have so many innovations. In my opinion FIFA (great game by the way), has only a major improvement in a few years. But most of the time, the annual editions bring only minor improvements. Take FIFA 12 vs FIFA 13. I think that they could have updated the roster and release a game patch to fix the problems. The reviewers spit on FIFA 13 for Vita, but for the other platforms it is OK. And then there is Mass Effect 3. Many of the reviewers complained about the ending. This isn't something that you need to mention. You need to allow the gamers to decide whether it is Ok or not. My personal opinion was that the Mass Effect 3 ending was great (the original one, not the extended). Yes, you may have expected a big boss battle, but that was not the point. You were given a choice. I don't want to make any spoilers, but it depends of your expectations. When I played the game, it made me think a bit. And that is the point. For the record, I think that all of the games mentioned above (CoD BO 2, FIFA, Halo 4 and ME3) are great games in their own right. I just don't like biased reviews.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
As a big FIFA player, every year since FIFA 08 to FIFA 13 has been an improvement in gameplay. From 09 just getting BAP modes, to FIFA 10's 360 dribbling, 11 refining the system, 12 defending being revamped and 13's off ball movement being changed as the major ones with other courses splattered about. I could go back to 12 but I wouldn't be as good as it as I am 13.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Plenty of reviews condemn bad endings. not all have been bad IMO, but the review of the end of the game is the same as the rest of the review, it's the opinion of the reviewer. Biased or not, if you think an ending is bad, lacking something, great, whatever, if you're reviewing the game, you're doing a bigger disservice to your reader by NOT mentioning it. Just how I see it
troublemaker 4 years ago
@bindiana I don't think it'll be an issue either way. For the most part, the only people pre-ordering are the "hardcore" crowd. the guys that know what's going on and will get the place holder idea. When the release and price are announced, they'll start advertising and then we'll see the everyday Joe grabbing pre-orders at their favourite sites. I don't think it'll be an issue at all.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 4 years ago
@DynamiteWhyte: yes there are improvements, but I don't think that the changes were that big (again, my opinion) :) @troublemaker: yes I know what you mean. But when mentioning the ending to be disappointing, the reader plays the game and expects the ending to be bad. That was the moment I was referring to. Maybe it will trigger the gamer's curiosity: "Let's checkout what is so bad about the ending", but still...
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
@trouble amazon have just posted about it on facebook and its not going down to well as people havent read the pre order promise and they are pricing games at £90 but think that sums up the internet dont read something properly then rage about it haha
troublemaker 4 years ago
ME3 was a special case. I've never seen outrage like that for a game ending before (I've not played/finished ME3 FTR) I understand the argument about the reader, but at the same time, I would argue that was the whole point of the review. Now, if the internet was smart enough, it could start an actual dialogue with the reviewers "Hold on bobby, the ending was alright, not what I expected, but fine none the less" sadly, we're not there yet. We'd much rather go full retard and abuse the poor bastard who's opinion we chose to read
troublemaker 4 years ago
@bind, you hit it right on the head there. The internet is majority populated my imbeciles!
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
finally the last of us demo is upon us tomorrow ,been awaiting this for so long hope its gonna live up to all the hype
troublemaker 4 years ago
Best get my God of War patched then huh?
it was a huge patch Tm 600mb but its back on there now seen it last night
troublemaker 4 years ago
I patched it the other day when you mentioned it. I was playing unpatched hoping to screw up the trophy and difficulty patches and play the game properly.
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
gave up on hard for the time been felt like progress was way to slow , it was a killer dreading the famous trials on hard every one was talking about
How is the difficulty when playing unpatched? Did the people have a point or were they just being whiny school girls
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
not sure Nox have not got there yet , but i herd it was something to do with lack of check points against loads of enemys and was solid to get through
HAHAHAHAHA. Lack of checkpoints lol, You can tell by them saying that, that they never played any NES and SNES games
troublemaker 4 years ago
THe only difficult thing so far, remembering that the right stick doesn't control the camera! Difficulty so far isn't any worse than the others, but I am no where near the trials yet!
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i was talking about the trials part if i may of confused you. cannot comment on the rest of the game as i patched day 1
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I think the trials things are seperate Trouble like challenge of the Gods, Olympus in previous games.
Might pick it up to see what the fuss is about
troublemaker 4 years ago
Bind, aint there a bunch of trials near the end of the single player? that's what the difficulty patch was for IIRC
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i like it a lot Nox but i like all gow games any way , as you can tell by my name a big fan , think gow 3 is the best out of them all though , may do a review soon
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Spoiler here maybe, but it's the trials where you first get the Oracles Eyes when you go on the platform and it raises, you fight monsters, then you free the chains using the OE, then you fight more, free the chains etc. If people were struggling with that part though, they need to have another look at themselves. I'd understand Hard maybe, but it's GOW, you expect a challenge.
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
yeah it was TM will let you know about it when i get there so you have a idea what awaits you
I wouldn't say that is a spoiler since I have no idea what you are talking about
troublemaker 4 years ago
It's not a spoiler, because it's the same as EVERY OTHER GOW GAME EVER!
Really Scott? I would have never guess you were a God of War fan. Now that I think about it your Pawns name should of tipped me off
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Ah right I have only played about half the game so I havent got there yet I did hear that they patched something with the difficulty I thought it was a side thing not in the main story will have to finish it at some stage when I get the enthusiasim to play it again.
troublemaker 4 years ago
i'm about a third of the way through. I keep being distracted by better things like uncharted, Dust 514 and toejam
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
it was a subtle hint lol
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
It's not really a spoiler, but then I put up a less revealing thing before and got called on spoilerness so :ninja:
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Out of the 4 main games(1,2,3,Ascencion) it is the worst of the lot by quite a bit. But it's because Kratos doesn't feel as powerful for good reason, and you've faced bigger foes previously in Kratos' life. The multiplayer is good though IMO, saves the game. And it's stil a game worth playing.
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i don't think they could match gow 3 for action and story , GOW A does feel less of a game but still enjoying it any way , still got collection 2 to start lets hope ps4 will see a return to a game that lives up to 3
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I've got Collection 2 to get through aswell. Going to do it in order of what the story is set out like now when I have time.
What's the order? Thinking about giving GOW another chance
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
had the same idea as me was gonna do that take a few weeks and just blaze through them all and mop up any missing trophys and get the full story
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
GOW A was set before 1 and GOW collection 2 was set inbetween 1@2 then 3 follows think that's right
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Ascencion, Chains of Olympus, 1, Ghost of Sparta, 2, 3. Can get them all in an American PS3 collection box I believe, minus Ascencion.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Aye, I'll mop trhough them. Figured to do it this way as I've never done CoO or GoS, and I've just done Ascencion due to it coming out, so working my way through it chronologically will do me fine.
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i know what order to go in know thanks DW would have got confused by different storys
I'll await the H-DD classics for all 6 on the PS4
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Aye, especially since I think CoO is set 10 years before 1 lol.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Just looking at it just now. $34.99 for 5 full games at Amazon.com in a nice little package. Over here you have to buy them all seperate with the crap packaging :(
With the GOW Saga you get codes for the ports but the all codes expired on March 31st 2013, so you are only getting 3 games
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Bah. Hate things like that. Just like UV editions on blu-rays.
Quiet here today ;)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Seasons is up on the Eshop now
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The new Luigi 3DS XL looks horrendous.
It looks OK but it's nothing compared to the Pikachu, Charizard & Eevee 3DS XL
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I'd never seen the Eevee one before, but it also falls into the bad category :P Fire Emblem, Pikachu and Charizard one take the winners ribbons.
I didn't like the Eevee one at first but it has grown on me. I agree the Fire Emblem, Pikachu and Charizard ones are good but my vote would need to got to Shin Megami Tensei IV 3DS XL
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Just seen it. It is indeed lovely.