Pachter predicts PS4 and Xbox One price, says subscription could be possible

I've already had my guess at the cost of the PS4 (£349.99) and Xbox One (£399.99) however now it's the turn of the experts and in this case, analyst Michael Pachter.

Speaking recently, the analyst discussed his thoughts on both consoles, guessing PS4 will be priced at $349.99 and Xbox One $399.99. Which if correct will probably translate to the prices I've hinted at above for the UK.

Pachter also hinted that the "ability to watch live TV from a cable, telco, or satellite set-top box through Xbox One could entice an MSO to drive subscriptions through a subsidised box in exchange for a multi-year contract".

We aren't sure how people would feel about buying a cheaper Xbox One in exchange for a monthly fee, but this is something which could be likely.

"Microsoft could conceivable subsidise the Xbox One through prepaid Xbox Live Gold subscriptions (as it has done on a limited basis in the past) or premium Skype functionality as well," Pachter continued.

"Similarly, Sony could subsidise the PS4 through prepaid PlayStation Network subscriptions, but unlike Microsoft, it does not have a history of doing so."

What do you think of this news? Do these prices seem likely to you? What do you think of the subscription idea? Would this appeal to you?

Edited On 04 Jun, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I don't think Sony would insist on a subscription similar to Live, but it's not inconceivable I suppose. Sony are more likely to use the system they did with the PS3 and take a loss on units sold to start with. Relying on first party titles to rake in the profit. Prices seem about what I would expect though.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The monthly-contract thing does have a good thing for XBOX due to people are already paying for Live, they won't mind paying for it for 3 years or whatever, if they get an XBOX for £99 instead of £399. I'd love these prices really.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Those prices seem reasonable for a console launch if Xbox does a subscription model I dont think it will be over here to begin with. The did a trial on the 360 in America but nothing here.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
I think sony might have a subscription the same as live, i think they would be silly not to if you look at the money microsft gets from it. It might just be ps+ with online features.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
@dynamite It would end up costing you more to buy a Xbox One if you paid out £99 then another say, £20 a month for three years.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Joe - Yeah, it's true, but that's the same with everything that people do now. You buy a mobile phone and a standalone sim card, you pay less than getting a phone for cheap and paying a monthly contract for it. But people are happy to pay monthly contracts as they don't hurt the balance all at once.
Kenneth 4 years ago
I'm hoping for a price point of £300 for the PS4. I'm going to be really annoyed if they use the stupid $1=£1 rule.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
Personally I'm hoping for a £350-£400 price for the PS4. I don't like the idea of subscription I would rather pay for the console upfront.
I'm hoping for a £50-£100 price for the PS4
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
I'd be happy with 400 quid I got 500 quid maybe 600 if I push it
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
Are we expecting a price for these at E3
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I expect MS to release 2 consoles the Standard and the Family edition, the Standard is full price £400 with £40 per year Gold sub, the Family is £100 up front and £15 per month Gold for a 3 year contract to also cover the remaining cost of the console.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
If I had the choice I'd prefer to find out a fixed UK release date for PS4/Xbox One rather than the price of the consoles.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
I think we'll get a release date. Not sure about price. We may get a US price.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
with the now standard 1:1 dollar to GBP ratio? My excitement is up, I just wanna see the games!
That's not what Johno means David
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i think 300-350 is a fair price to pay considering the ps3 slim still costs 200+ these days , i have about 600 in my budget so hope to see some bundles announced on shop to
WOW. Joe will name the release dates and the prices? What aren't you telling us Joe?
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
I want a bundle too hopefully fifa forza and watch dogs are my first 3 the wife wants forzabut if halo 5 is launch ill be getting that ooooooh thinking about it I cant decide but will be a bundle either way
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
the perfect bundle shep i want is with 2-3 launch games
Captain Obvious strikes again. I wish I had a job like Pachters where I got paid shed loads of dosh to tell people things they already worked out themselves.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
My £600 PS4 fund is looking pretty healthy at the moment. still not going to adopt on day one, but the bundle plan for february time is definitely there (Superbowl week will become PS4 week too probably)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I'm going for PS4, PS4 controller, Destiny, Watch Dogs, AC4, FIFA 14, Killzone and Infamous. So get the console with the controller and FIFA or AC4 in the bundle, then get the rest. Easy street.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
David - PS4 ;)
David - Gamecube
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Yeah, hoping PS4, controller, Killzone, Infamous, maybe a couple of the launch titles a little cheaper. Maybe watch dogs if I enjoyed it on PS3 enough!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
David Sega Master System comes with Alex Kidd built in!! sensible answer would be at the moment looking like PS4 prefer the games on Playstation as not a big Halo fan.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PS4 and controller should be fine in most bundles. I need Infamous more than any of the others, that and FIFA really. I'd love Destiny too. Those are my must haves.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
KZ and infamous are both must haves for me! Destiny looks great, but I'm not sure it's for me yet
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I'm not usually a massive FPS fan, but from what I've seen of Destiny, it could be up there with Mass Effect in terms of grabbing me in.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
Fuck it flying solo again.... xbox one pad halo 5 destiny fifa 14 forza 5 watch dogs quantum break for now thats what id like thats pre E3
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
It's got to be PS4 for me. Infamous second son is a must buy. I haven't played Killzone game for years, so still on the fence with it at the moment.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
You guys do know that destiny is coming out on xbox first. The thing for me is the games on the ps4 look god but i can't stand sonys infrastructure on the ps3 i put god of war in the other day and spent over five minutes doing updates, put a new game in and it sync's trophies it's annoying.
The PS4 has different infrastructure
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
Go for xbox yoda join my team im a 1 man band
Or you could just sign out before you start the game Yoda
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
Shep i love my xbox i have only had my ps3 for a year so i will get the xbox one first if i do get one. But i am not rushing out for it i have so many games still coming for this gen there is no point. Also they need to show me more than another forza,halo,gears etc give me something new.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
could do nox just don't have them problems with the xbox.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
could do nox just don't have them problems with the xbox.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Don't even need to sign out. just tell it NO! that's what I do if I'm in a rush. Then let my PS+ auto download get the patch the next night. It's all changing with the PS4 though. The reveal said that they'll have a second x64 chip to run background tasks like downloading and patching to allow it to work faster. PSN's setup is a bone of contention for a lot of people, I have faith that Sony will fix it this time around!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Sony have openly said that they are changing the stuff people didn't like about the PS3 for PS4.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Aye they will do the updates for you. It may be annoying for when you get a new game, but it's not exactly that bad. My internet is by no means fast and I get the updates rather quickly.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I find that people who complain about PS3 updates only turn the console on once a month at most.
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 4 years ago
I wonder if MS will ship the Xbox One with a game pre-loaded. Could be a way to get away with a slightly higher price than PS4? Sorry if someone has already suggested this, a lot of comments to skim through at work!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Yeah, only time that console updates have annoyed me is when I hadn't played LBP2 for a year or so. But I just put on an episode of TV and watched that while it sorted itself out.
If I need to do it, I just go make myself a sandwich or play a handheld
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
@Dan if it's Alex Kidd, it'll be a day one purchase for me!
If they do, it will probably be some Kinect tat like Kinect Sports or Kinect Adventure
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Good selling point Dan. I figure they'd do it when they have the 'limited edition GOW consoles' and stuff like that.
That name is so awesome "Nox, The Almighty Peon" it's got a nice ring to it
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Didn't Sony say ad February event, that Online will be free, but there will be service behind pay wall?