Microsoft addresses user concerns re: used games, always online and Kinect

Microsoft has detailed many of the features people has been asking about regarding Xbox One, including how used games work, online connectivity and always on Kinect.

As detailed in a series of posts, The Xbox One needs to check-in online every day. If it doesn’t establish a connection, you won’t be able to play games, although you can still watch movies. Logging into your Xbox Live profile from another Xbox One will give you access to all of your content, but you'll have to log in once an hour. We presume this would also be the case if you own two consoles.

Games licensing will be tied to consoles, and third-party publishers 'may' charge a fee for activating used games at their discretion. In bad news for many readers here, renting and loaning games will not be available at launch, although Microsoft is hoping to add in this feature at a later date.

Here's a few other points of interest:

- Kinect won’t record you while the console is in stand-by mode, and won’t share your data without permission.
- You can give your games away to your friends as gifts - but only once per game.

"While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection,” the platform holder said.

“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.”

Explaining the need for daily check in's, Microsoft said its daily Internet check-ins determine whether you’ve traded a game in - so the console does employ a licensing system for games although this may not be used by all.

"In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers," Microsoft confirmed.

"Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

Interestingly anybody using your console can access anything you’ve purchased for it, whether you or they are logged in, and you can also access any of your content on other Xbox One consoles, but as mentioned this will require you to connect to the internet more frequently.

"Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once."

Finally it was also explained that you are in control of what Kinect can see and hear: By design, you will determine how responsive and personalized your Xbox One is to you and your family during setup.

"When Xbox One is on and you’re simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded.

"You are in control of when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused: If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say ‘Xbox Off.’ When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command – ‘Xbox On,’ and you can even turn that feature off too.

"You are in control of your personal data: You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission."

Edited On 07 Jun, 2013

Comments
troublemaker 3 years ago
There's an awful lot of shitonly half explains a few issues. it's the wording you have to look at. Still feel like the XBone will be coming with a tube of KY in the box. -- So I'm not always MS bashing. I think Sony will do something similar. but it won't be as badly tilted away from the end user.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 3 years ago
What is it you need explained? I'll do my best to figure it out.
troublemaker 3 years ago
Sorry, Joe. I didn't mean you'd written it badly. I meant that MS are clearly in damage control mode and are putting out a lot of guff but still talking around the problems in places. It's the cynic in me that reads these things and goes "yeah, your choice of words says much more than what you ACTUALLY said!"
troublemaker 3 years ago
Also, "renting games won't be available at launch" hmmmm. I see companies going out of business. Not just rental places like Boomerang, but studios who wouldn't get a look in without it. How many people are renting "Remember Me" because of it's mixed reviews? If I couldn't rent it, DontnoD and Capcom wouldn't get a sniff of my wallet for it at the moment.
Ashki18's avatar
Ashki18 3 years ago
Think the fact you can't rent games is stupid, I went for a while using love film to see what games are like which I couldn't afford. It gave you a good idea if the game was for you and you wouldn't waste your money. I think we all have at some point brought a game straight away and realised what a mistake we have made.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
annoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
troublemaker 3 years ago
It's alright shep. Sony will be doing something similar. I may need to find a new hobby
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
PS4gasm
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
new hobby sounds good, but ill just end up getting 2 games a year until that day of pre owned ban is lifted! which they will have to do else people will not buy!
troublemaker 3 years ago
until then, you've paid 400 notes for 2 games a year. I aint doing that. What a waste of time and money.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
that is a fair point, may have to re think some things
No rentals means no sale for me, it's a good job they are keeping the 360 going for the foreseeable future, even if I had the money to buy one at launch all this stuff isn't enticing me at all.
MrPenguinKnight's avatar
MrPenguinKnight 3 years ago
Well Microsoft certainly know how to make a limited PC and market it as a console. I am not worried for the future of gaming thanks to good ol Nintendo. A least for now they are not trying this ******** The worst part of all this is the connecting to the internet once a day. Not everyone has the internet, or even a very stable line. Very poor choices here Microsoft.
troublemaker 3 years ago
In the interest of balance. I'll say that if Sony come out with the same bollocks, I'll not buy a PS4 either. I've always wanted to get into model trains, I could do that instead. Or collecting toenail clippings, or old bum hairs, ANYTHING!
fortysixter uk's avatar
fortysixter uk 3 years ago
So this really could be the end of console gaming as we know it. I know you should never say never, so I won't. However, I can't see myself buying any games consoles that enforce this ridiculous rules structure on the person that has purchased the console and the games for it. Right now ( and this is of course subject to change, however slim the chance), I will not be buying Xbox One and I will not be ties to such insane DRM. I hope PS4 doesn't go this way, as if it does I won't get a PS4 either. Frankly, any console company that does this deserves to crash and burn, and I hope to god we are about to see that happen to Microsoft's gaming arm and the Xbox One.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Trouble not sure how the PS4 is going to work as they said you dont have to have the internet for the console so the same system wont work. I am sure there is gonna be a used games strategy but not sure what it is yet.
There's always Nintendo, they don't mind preowned, and they do backwards compatibility ;)
troublemaker 3 years ago
As much as I would love to think that Sony wouldn't do this, there have been no real details like that from Sony, and I don't believe that only one console would do it. I hope to god that the PS4 doesn't do any of this, but I'm not holding my breath. Gloria - You forgot to add the words "for now at least" haha! ;)
For now is all that matters right now TM, with MS's silly ideas and Sony likely following suit, Nintendo could be the real winners this generation. ;)
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Well Sony could wipe the floor with Microsoft if they allow used games and rentals maybe they could do something like if you buy ps+ you can play used games. But the main thing Sont have to do is be clear as even with these statements from Microsoft its all a bit wishy washy.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 3 years ago
We shall see. I think that Sony will follow Microsoft's steps. They are just being silent about it. Look at it this way: Micosoft presents these restrictions, gets the bad rep. After some time the people accept that that is how it is going to be. Sony slowly presents the same idea. I really hope that it won't be the case, but...
troublemaker 3 years ago
Very true Gloria. However, if this is something that has been forced upon manufacturers by publishers, I would hazard a guess that Ninty would be told to do the same thing with threat of no more third party support. While it's not a problem for most, if it was going to be someone's primary console, it would need them. WiiU would survive on Nintendo licenses alone, but I don't think that would last long.
C 3 years ago
I will just buy less games now, simple as that. Unless its an AAA game I won't touch it. Which is a shame as just in the last week I have bought 3 games preowned that I wouldn't have otherwise bought. The only saving grace could be if they were to price games more along the lines of PC which of course won't happen. I really hope Sony Is watching all of this fallout and adjusts its plans accordingly.
C 3 years ago
If MS and Sony sales are slow though, and they very possibly will be with these silly restrictions and the inevitable price increase, then maybe third parties will give Nintendo more support, just for the sales.
JASON 3 years ago
Sony are bound to follow suit, but I don't get why people are so annoyed by this. People are looking to spend £400-£500 on a new machine and either want to play second hand or old gen games? And the idea that someone will buy this machine and cannot afford the internet for me is crazy. When I've been unsure of whether or not to buy a game, I download a demo. If there's no demo available, I take a chance. If you shop around, you can get games much cheaper than RRP normally anyway.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 3 years ago
JASON it is not the point if you can afford the internet, the point is that you might want to bring your console to some place where you don't have internet available. Regarding the old generation games, what will happen if you have a library of, let's say 100+ games for 360. Your 360 breaks and is not in production anymore. You would like to play those games on the new system, wouldn't you? I mean, if the Xbox One is powerful as they say it is why the just don't implement an emulator to enable playing of old games. Oh, the One uses a new copy-protection system. That is the REAL reason ;)
type105x's avatar
type105x 3 years ago
Companys like Shop to will love this new model of buying games, All those shop's and sites who rent and trade in game's rack in millions of dollars and not one penny goes to the game developer, Which in turn leads to the same old game's coming out year over year, SO in a way it's a double edged sword Times change. Piracy and the used games market is killing devs' chances at being financially viable. This is a solution aimed at fixing that. DO I agress with it not at all, but if you have played Steam or bought a game off of Steam it's really going to be the same thing & if we get more deal's on games and sale's even better, My biggist fear is the fact you will not OWN any game's next gen only be paying the right to play the game :/ So will I buy a PS4 because of this? nope because PS4 as well will have the same model which was made by the game's company's, Really don't get why the XBox one is gettig all the Hate over this, Will I buy a Wii-U because of these, Nope not till some AAA games come out, People who say all the company's will jump to the Wii-u need to look at the sale's of the system alone, Never going to happen and if that was the case company's will just stay on the 360 and PS3 because that's right it's best we make one copy of a game and let the whole world share it cause that's how we put food on the table :) At the End of the day the costomer will have to speak with your wallet :)
JASON 3 years ago
ZdravkoN I take your point about if you take your xbox somewhere without internet connection. Although in this day and age, I can't think of anywhere you would take your machine where there is no internet connection. As for backwards compatibility, when the 360 came out and had limited backwards compatibility only, I was so annoyed. I ended up playing two old xbox games on it only as I wanted to play new games. If you have such a backlog of games, then keep your 360 as well like I will too. Type105x you hit the nail on the head. Times do change and because Microsoft is the first to face up to these changes, they are getting flack and some people saying "I'm gonna get a PS4 then" in protest. Funny thing is, how annoyed will they be when Sony do exactly the same thing? For the people that rent games, bare in mind, Xbox may do what iTunes do with movies and allow you to rent games by downloading them and keeping them playable for an amount of time. It's not all bad, it's change. To be honest and to be blunt, if you refuse to buy new games, you probably cannot afford this as a new console at launch.
troublemaker 3 years ago
Just to play devils advocate, ODG came up with the perfect example. deployed armed forces gamers don't have a stable internet connection. especially not on things like ships/subs now, while they are a small group compared to most gamers, they are still going to be unable to use an xbox1.
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 3 years ago
I'm quite surprised this article was approached in such a negative fashion. Would've thought ShopTo would want to drum up pre-orders? Anyway I was quite pleased with this clarification. Digital and physical games -good. Accessing the library from anywhere - good. Sharing games with up to 10 family members without needing to be logged in and playing those games at the same time as them - very good. I can still trade in games or give/sell to my friends - good. I have an internet connection as does most of the population (I know, I know soldiers abroad don't) and they do state you can connect with mobile internet too. I'd rather play a better game utilising online and have that limited to people with an internet connection once a day, than play a worse game because some people don't - maybe I'm just selfish. I haven't rented a game since the 90s either so that doesn't concern me. I've pre-ordered an Xbox One and seen nothing to concern me, personally, but each to their own I guess.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 3 years ago
@JASON: Trust me, there are places where you can't even get 3G internet reception (yeah I considered that possibility too). Troublemaker is making a nice point about the army. The thing is that always online (once online in 24h) is too restrictive. The problem with backward compatibility is that I don't want to have two boxes under my TV. I want to have only One ;) I will keep my 360 (I actually have two of them, and I will keep them both), as I keep my old Commodore 64 (not a console really, but not a PC either :D ), Atari 2600 and NES :)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
@Dan - Indeed, it most probably won't harm you really. A lot of the problems won't bother me either really.
troublemaker 3 years ago
Dan, while for the most part, you and me won't see a problem with our day to day gaming lives, it will affect alot of other people. no rentals - bad. publishers having control over whether or not a game can be traded - Bad, The requirement to check your internet connection once an hour if it's not your box - Bad The trade ins will be limited to comapnies on MS' scheme - Really bad (your trade in prices are gonna drop like a lead balloon!) These are all things that should be considered. for you, they may be great, but for alot of others, this is going to be an arse ache.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Anything to do with Internet connection is bad for me because I live out in the sticks rocking my 0.8mbps Internet because that's the best I can get!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Jason - I refuse to buy most games day one because I have too many to play. The number of times I have bought a game for £40 only for it to drop to around the £20 mark by the time I get around to actually play it. There are so many games that I want to play that I haven't bought because I don't have the time, luckily I have a fair few of those games because of PS+ IGC now.
If you and your friends want to borrow games from each other, just trade consoles for a while. That's all I took from this
Same here.
Dan 3 years ago
Well all I can say is gutted really, I'm not buying a console that relies on subscriptions to the point I can't even play my own games offline, I use xbox live daily and over the years it has just become more exclusive, for those with lots of money. I used to share xbox live membership so my son could play on his own account, now thats a family pack, now they tell me I cant lend games to my mates or play offline, well Microsoft you can keep it, never thought I'd say this but looks like I'm retreating to PS, although the Steam might be an option or whatever it is called now, failing that PC gaming, no chance I'm buying an XBOX ONE, I feel bullied by my gaming choice, gaming is meant to be fun but now it comes with terms and conditions, seriously I know not one current Xbox owner who is going to buy the new Xbox One, it's been highly anticipated and talked about in my group of friends for some time and it is utterly disappointing. Is this the death of the Xbox ?
Trade consoles, and trust your friend not to run up a massive bill on DLC, movie rentals, etc.......
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 3 years ago
That's the same thing as trading Steam or Origin accounts :) Seriously, at least Steam have a lot of sales where you can get great games very cheap. Unfortunately I don't see that happening with consoles.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
No used games isn't an issue for me as i buy new games any way, if i like the game enough it will be a day 1 pre-order for me, if not then i will wait for a sale. That being said, i did used to rent some games i wasn't sure about or short games that i would be finished with in a week, so that is a pain. But seriously I'm not too bothered about the console as I'm just into PC gaming too much now, haven't even played my 360 for ages, i only use it for Gears now and then.
Snake-V2's avatar
Snake-V2 3 years ago
Ummm, this... http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/eu-court-rules-its-legal-to-resell-digital-games-software/
ASC's avatar
ASC 3 years ago
Yea, despite that being ruled last year not heard anything about any plans to actually set up functionality to let people do it.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
So I can play my Single Player game offline for more than 24 hours? Guess Xbox one won't see a purchase from me.
Yeah, that's a given for PS fanboys really.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
One thing I can think of is a lot of people do is if Money is tight they might cancel there internet for a couple of months so the console will be useless. So if you buy a used console will you be able to play any game the person before has bought?
Wooder's avatar
Wooder 3 years ago
It's ps4 all the way for me, kinetic is a waste of time, the games on ps4 look top and i can live with always on but Xbox seems like a pc more than a console, I just want a gaming machine... End of
Wooder's avatar
Wooder 3 years ago
Wooder's avatar
Wooder 3 years ago
Used consoles, now there's a thought, no doubt MS have already thought of this, and like if you sell, or pass on, one of your games the content is wiped from your HDD, I'm sure the same will apply, unless of course you don't tell MS you're selling it, in which case the buyer will get access to your profile, payment options etc....
troublemaker 3 years ago
What about getting your old licenses onto your new console after your first one red rings?
Won't they be connected to your profile?
troublemaker 3 years ago
Yeah, but because it's not the console they were licensed on, wouldn't that invoke the hourly online check? I'm just splitting hairs, I'm sure it's a simple deactivation from original machine.
Probably routine when you report the fault.
tachikoma's avatar
tachikoma 3 years ago
The simple case of having to connect once an hour to be able to play games if the one that makes me refuse to have anything more to do with Microsoft. It is clearly a means to gather information on gamers to enable targeted marketing to take place on their new internet services and I will have no part in it. Besides, I live on Dartmoor, our service is pathetically slow and intermittent plus we have no Mobile Signal either.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 3 years ago
I'm happier with this than I thought i'd be. Back when the rumours said the console would need a constant internet connection, I would have been out. My connection likes to drop randomly but it's very rarely out for more than a full day. The 24 hour check doesn't bother me because the Xbox One has it so you install the disc and then you don't need the disc in the drive to play the game. If they didn't have a daily online check to see if you still own your games, you could trade it in straight away or give it to all your friends so to me it makes sense. I don't have the best internet, but it's more than enough to connect to xbl for a little bit each day. Also I read somewhere you can use mobile internet for it too. Used games isn't an issue as they said it would be up to the publisher. Sony said the same thing after their conference. As for getting old licenses on a new console, doesn't the 360 have that now? I imagine it will be like that.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 3 years ago
Just want to say that i'm not 'happy' about some of the xb1 things but i'm 'happier' than I would have been if they had made it worse. Dont want people thinking im weird.