Microsoft details new achievement system

Microsoft is overhauling it's achievement system in order to "deliver more interesting, complex, and fulfilling goals and rewards to you”, according to Xbox Live Achievements program manager Cierra McDonald.

The biggest change is that video and music apps can now offer Achievements, although they won't give you an additional points towards your gamescore, but will instead offer you various bonuses and rewards, across video, music and games. Rewards may include the likes of digital artwork, new maps, characters, temporary stat boosts, sneak peek content, early access, or subscription extensions.

To make this possible, Achievements now come in two categories – challenges and achievements (lower case 'a').

An achievement will be available from launch and will be available at an time. A challenge, on the other hand, is an "opportunity" which sets a goal and offers a reward. You must complete this within a certain time frame, and it cannot affect your Gamerscore. Challenges may be set for a community rather than individual player.

Both appear  achievements and challenges will appear in your Achievements list with an icon, and may include a DVR capture of the moment you unlocked it.

What do you think of this idea, good or slightly over the top? The cynics in us can't help but think that there will be challenges for buying movies and music. Could this be the case?

Edited On 13 Jun, 2013

Comments
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I'm happy to see that 'challenges' don't affect gamerscore because that is one hell of a way to bribe people to buy the next series of Jersey Shore to their xbox.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Is it true they are actually giving an Achievement for just buying the Xbone itself?
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
If you buy the day one edition you get a free* achievement
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
i like it, but then i would :D
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 3 years ago
I quite like it too, Shep. Though I don't think it'll bother me much with video or music but in terms of games the opportunity to win stuff through 'challenges' sounds good. Also call me a cynic, but is there now a pro-Sony or anti-Microsoft bias in almost every ShopTo news article?
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
basically everyone expect me and u hates xbox lol! i wont do it for music and vids but games i love the idea of! cant beat earning rewards in my eyes!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I'm just anti-Shep ;)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Im liking the idea of unlocking stuff with the achievements and challenges its something i thought they should have always done even be it art work or even just costumes and such. Resident evil revelations done this a bit recently unlocking new guns for getting certain achievements.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
he is anti-shep to be fair
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I have always thought Achievements and trophies show unlock some reward like if you get to 10,000 gs score you get say 1,000 microsoft points or even just an avatar item or something like that.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
i would love that Bind! as a gamerscore whore id be loaded lol its a good idea earning something back from what you have spent
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
I think both Sony and Microsoft should look at how Nintendo did Trophies..... in Melee and Brawl. Unlock an actual trophy that gives a paragraph or two. Would really make them worthwhile. Giving rewards is pointless tbh since a fair few of people who have high gamerscores got it from Hannah Montana and the other ones where you can get them. I once walked in on my brother saying 'blah blah' down the microphone on LIPS because it was an easy way to get extra achievements
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 3 years ago
I like the sound of this! I'm not one of those people who must get every single achievement available but I do really like them and am glad to see the system getting expanded!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
It's just like the FIFA Challenges then when you get a new one every 48 hours or so. Quite liked them, sure I went trhough a phase of completing every one. So will give you something different to focus on. But then can imagine it being when Halo comes out 'Challenge for today - Complete 10 hours of Halo online!'
Snake-V2's avatar
Snake-V2 3 years ago
I know the 'TV' component of the 'One' will be US only for quite some time but I know they filed a patent which will allow the earning of achievements by watching advertisements and certain television shows. So expect that 'I watched The X-Factor final' achievement next Christmas.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
Lower case 'a', upper case 'LOL'
I don't HATE the Xbox to be fair, I just don't see the point
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
I quite like the idea of actually unlocking new rewards for games and "Extending my subscription" i have over 70K score on XBL atm and a lot of people say they don't see the point of them but i just like to collect plus i don't say a game is complted untill i have all achievements. Adding cool rewards just gives me another reason to really go for the hard achievements and "challenges"
It's Microsoft so I wouldn't get our hopes up
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Microsoft is the best company in gaming..