PlayStation 4 can use the cloud for processing says Yoshida

Shuhei Yoshida has said that PlayStation 4 can also make use of the cloud for processing, much like the Xbox One, although it'll be up to game developers if they want to use it or not.

Speaking with Polygon, Yoshida said, "Linking, matchmaking…there are already many computations being done on the cloud side. We don’t believe every title needs that. But if your title needs [an] online connection to provide some online features: Go for it."

The PS4?s Gaikai-powered cloud streaming functionality will also allow for the instant streaming of PS3 games. This could be a huge feature for some and although it'll only launch in the US at first, starting 2014, other areas including Europe should get it soon after.

What do you think of this news?

Edited On 13 Jun, 2013

Comments
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I think it's good that Sony are allowing the developers freedom. It means a lot of skin off their back, and they also aren't forcing them in to doing what Sony 'wants them to do'.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I'd never heard of Gaikai until February... and I still know nothing about them.
type105x's avatar
type105x 3 years ago
PlayStation has done nothing but play catch up when it comes to the XBOX OS, Let's just wait and see what happen's when the system's come out, It's all good to talk he talk, At the end of the day sony done this with the ps3 and it took them a few year's before you could even voice chat on the sytem, Still no party chat, Gaikai is just like ONlive to play your game's over the net, It's an awful system and just add's lag to everygame going, For me I will be happy to plug my 360 into the back of my Xbox one and play all my old game's that way with my new friends list and watching jeremy kyle at the same time :)
Bit of misinfo there
Marty 3 years ago
Well type, if you are happy signing away your consumer rights to a company like M$ that think that they can dictate to you how you will consume your entertainment then fire away! I'll stick to the PS4 where I can do what I want with the products I have bought when I'm finished with them!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Well type, if you're happy watching Jeremy Kyle, then I'm happy to not have you on PS4 :P
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Of course the guy with the Halo picture will defend M$ to his dying breath. The only thing Sony are behind on is party chat, that is it, M$ may be doing more, but Sony don't want anything to do with it, if you saw someone eating shit would you want to join in?
xMeaLoR's avatar
xMeaLoR 3 years ago
Type105x - Party Chat not being on PS3 has nothing to do with the operating system, its because the PS3 doesn't have enough RAM to run the XMB and do party chat, i think the PS3 has 128mb and Xbox 360 has 512. Thats why Xbox has party chat and PS3 doesn't, just to clear that up :) Im also pretty sure that you cant plug your Xbox 360 into your Xbox One for backwards compatibility too
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Why is everyone saying crap about "signing your rights away to MS" and the likes, you CAN trade in Xbox one games and you CAN play used games on Xbox one, and people seem to think you have to play xbox every 24 hours to keep your account active, all it means is if you haven't signed into LIVE in 24 hours then you will need to connect up the next time you log on to play games, and even if you net is down you can connect your xbox to your mobile network for 20 seconds to pass the check then you're good to go again.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
It's because there are proccesses in place that could be used to prevent used game sin the future, EA WILL charge you, and if that is a success more companies will follow suit like they did with the online pass, and the online check in is a problem for me, the used game thing is very restrictive as only certain retailers will be allowed to sell them, and renting you can forget about that, oh and something that has been kept hush, once you share your game with a friend you yourself lose it,and can't get it back as it can only be gifted once.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
But up to 10 people can share your whole game collection from any xbox, so if i buy 20 games i can share them with 10 people, you can also gift a game to someone but only once, and if EA do charge then they will charge on the PS4 too as it's up to publishers both consoles have said that.
We still don't know the specifics of sharing with 10 people and I'll say it again, How can you enforce DRM on a offline console
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Because it's not an offline console, that's the whole point everything is moving online anc connected these days.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Everything isn't online and connected these days.
I'm not disagreeing everything is moving to Online but not until everyone has the connection for it, you are only supporting this because you do have the connection
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
But the majority are, and most of the people complaining about this are the ones who have stable connections and use the internet 24/7
I guess gamers don't accept change all that readily (Most people didn't want a Blu-Ray in the PS3) My point of view is that Microsoft are taking away all the advantages of having a console and giving us all the disadvantages of having a PC (Will wait to see what Microsoft's pricing structure is before I give decide on the One's future with me)
PS: Most of the people around where I live have a worse connection than me and my mates regularly goes out (mainly cos if he doesn't agree to do the washing or dishes, the modem gets ripped out of the wall)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
I can fully understand the problem the 24 hour check will have but to be honest if i didn't have a connection i wouldn't be buying a console, it's not worth it to me if i was just going to play 12 hour single player games. And if Xbox one games are more in the price range of PC games then that's a plus for me I'm all for it, i don't think 2nd hand games should be allowed to be honest, just lower the price of new games and make more money.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
The share with ten people sounds great, but I don't trust it there has to be some kind of catch, maybe a monthly fee for each person on your family list. There is a saying if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is. It just goes against the whole publisher friendly thing they have been pushing, why do all this stuff only to then make games potentially cost £5 should they share the price.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
I'm not completely sure but i think the people on your shared list can only play a game if you're not playing it, so i don't think you can use it to play together with only 1 person having the game.
Lucinda 3 years ago
I think people need to think about things more when it comes to the ps4. Firstly the console will! Have to be online if you want to play 90% of its games. which soooo many people seem to be forgetting the £60! Yearly subscription to PlayStation ± .. Also many its up to game publishers if they want a always online game ... So really if you think about it its not much different than the Xbox one in them respects . I'd also like to point out how popular Xbox partys are they are massive every night I play and chat to friends it makes gaming more fun and enjoyable Lastly I'd like to put this across about the sign in every 24 hour part .. Next year 4G is supposed to be available worldwide ... Ever thought maybe Xbox one will use that 4G service ? That would make online games completely lag free .... Ms have made this big changes for reasons . And just because a console is £100 cheaper doesnt make me want to get it ... I'm going to stick to ms as they have amazing publishers on their side and I know what I'm getting and because I love decent games which I know won't disappoint
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
PS+ is not £60 a year, it's £35-£40 like XBL and the PS4 is £80 cheaper than Xbox one not £100. And to be honest, people can hate on Microsoft all they want, but at the end of the day they know what their doing and they make good products, I don't really like Microsoft as a company but i still buy their products because they know what people want and they plan for the future.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
90% of its games? I can go on FIFA and play career mode without the internet, go on and play The Last of Us, go on and play Uncharted, go on and play God of War etc. £37 for full price 365 day subscription, not £60. But they offer discounts all around. I don't know any publishers who want an always online game after what happened to EA and Sim City, so it is massively different to the XBOX One. Cool, you like to have party chats, alot of people don't. 4G won't be available in my village next year, guarantee that. Maybe in all the big citys. You can't just put out the fact that MAYBE they use it. PS4 could MAYBE make me pancakes every day, i'm going to get it for that reason. You're last statement screams 'Sony, help me'