PS4 will natively support remote play on Vita

Sony Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida has revealed that the PlayStation 4 will natively support remote play, with no additional work from developers being required.

Speaking to Engadget at E3, Yoshida revealed that, unlike with the PS3, remote play functionality will be handled by the machine itself. "On PlayStation4 , it just happens. You just make a PS4 game, it supports Remote Play," he said.

"The single biggest issue, why there are not many PlayStation 3 games that support Remote Play, was that it was optional -- the system didn't do much. The game has to set aside some memory or CPU to be able to do that"

Although Sony are making for easy implementation of remote play, they do ask developer's to make sure they take the handheld device's control scheme and other factors into account.

"Please make sure that when you play your games on Vita, the control is good. That's the minimum thing we're asking them to do," he added

There's no specific release date for the PS4 as of yet, but we do know it's due to hit shelves later this year.

Edited On 14 Jun, 2013

Comments
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 3 years ago
Remote play is the best thing that the PlayStation has. You are not bound to the TV while you are playing games. I like the idea a lot.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Remote play is the best thing that the Playstation Vita has maybe, but the best thing that the Playstation has? Not even close. It's just a gimmick that will rarely be used. Be no point in limiting your control options for me.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Now I can play Call of Doody while on the turlet.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 3 years ago
@DW: I don't own PS3 so I don't know if it is limited to Wireless Connectivity (same network). But if you can play remotely (I guess you can) when not in your country it is a great addition. I go to business trips very often, and sometimes I have access to internet, and don't have much to do. Remote play is ideal in this case :)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Fair Play :) No idea about the quandrys of playing out of the country, but hopeuflly it does.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I can remote play in a Costa shop so I assume it would be available where broadband is
Really? That is fucking sweet, get on that PS4+PSV Bundle Sony
David 3 years ago
Its pretty much the same as offscreen play on the WiiU, you must be in range of your PS4 (that will vary depending on your house layout) so yeah, its a really good thing but you wont be taking your Vita outside to play PS4 games on the move. It will still be usefull for when your other half wants the big tv, i use my WiiU for that right now, very usefull and may actually be the thing to push me into finally buying a PSV.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I can play FF7 on the go as its Remote play compatible for this generation.
Hope you're joking Johno
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
If the right ports were open at work I would be playing it right now.
Save it onto the handheld
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
David, remote play uses network connection, basically there's no such thing as "range".
broonba's avatar
broonba 3 years ago
It's great to hear that every single PS4 game'll be playable via remote play on my Vita. Now that's what I call customer satisfaction. :)
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Only worthwhile if you already own a Vita or if there's enough there to warrant a Vita for you now. Better off buying a Wii U and then having pretty much every game this gen covered instead.