Xbox One owners can share games with up to 10 family or non family members

Microsoft’s Phil Spencer has said in a new interview that players will be able to share their game library with people outside their household.

As previously revealed Xbox One will allow users to share their library of games with up to ten family members, however according to Spencer these 'family members' don't necessarily need to be blood related.

“I think the policy makes sense, Phil Spencer told Penny Arcade (via OXM).

“It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently, but when you think about a real usage scenario, and we thought about it around a family, and I know certain people will create a family group of people that aren’t all part of the same family. And I do think that’s an advantage, and people will use that.

“I saw it on NeoGAF instantly, the Xbox Family creation threads, where people said ‘Hey be a part of my family’. No birth certificates will need to be sent in. I do think that’s an advantage of the ecosystem that we have.”

It's already been confirmed that two people in your ‘family’ will be able to access the same files simultaneously although we are unsure if this relates to full 'retail' games, 'arcade' titles or both.

We have checked the recent documentation which Microsoft released and it states that "Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend's house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games."

The cynic in us can't help but feel that there is some sort of catch here. Perhaps the being 'shared
library' publishers will be able to choose if certain games can be shared or not. Or perhaps you won't be able to share full 'retail' titles This is something we aren't likely to find out until launch.

Edited On 14 Jun, 2013

Comments
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
It's good news really, but it is inpractical. It'd be fine in house, with say your 2 kids on their consoles. Lil Jeremy plays COD while you and lil Kyle play FIFA. But if you shared it withs ay, 10 members of Shopto, and you can't play thema t the same time, or if only two of you can, imagine going on to play FIFA and 2 guys are playing it, and you, the guy who purchased the game, can't get on? I'd be raging.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
It would work best with upto 10 people a collection of single player games and just don't have 2 people play the same one at the same time.
Whitey 3 years ago
Yeah i can't quite understand how this works, it almost sounds like everyone can play your games but why would MS let one person buy a game and 10 people play it. It would be nice if they could clear this up and explain how it actually works.
I can see this being abused for single player games. I agree there MUST be some kind of catch
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Will it be on the same account? As in, you have to sign in to your account if you take it to your mates, so would they have to sign in to your account to access the 'library'? So if you have a 5:1 k/d ratio on COD, your mate could go in with his limited ability and put you down to 2:1 or something?
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Yeah same as everyone else here not sure how this can work if you get a group of 10 people set up a new live account say shopto group where everyone had the email and password then bought lets say each person buys one game so there is 10 games that all of us can play for the price of one?
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
this confuses me how this would work, couldnt you technically be robbed of a game if you have a row with a family member and they never turn it of lol, is this locked to the people you say can use it? i dont know i quick read i got managers watching me lol
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
May be wrong but im sure it said that the owner has to put it into a shared folder, so its only what the owner wants to share. I cant see it letting you all play it at the one time though.
taggy san's avatar
taggy san 3 years ago
so how will this effect me then at the min we have 2 xbox 360's we buy 1 game and use on both machines, so if we get 2 xbox one's how can we use the same game on both or do we need to buy 2 copies this is what is annoying me, only some games like cod would i buy 2 copies, but if we have 2 one's and can't use the game on both well sorry but will get rid and move to PS4, plus we have about 25 360 games we still play plus add on's we have bought we can't use on the new console means lost £100's of pounds that will turn me against microsoft and move to sony even more :-(
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
I don't get it to be honest, guess we will just have to wait until it comes out. Microsoft wouldn't enable anything like it, their too tight.
taggy san's avatar
taggy san 3 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
They arent very clear are they. From what i have read you select up to 10 people that can access a shared folder that you have created they can then access the game and play it on there xbox one but only one person can play it at a time so say i buy dead rising 3 and install it and so on and choose to share it with my brother he can then play it on his xbox one when i am not. I am probably completely wrong about it being like that but they are terrible at explaining wont really know until its either out or they show a video of it working.
taggy san's avatar
taggy san 3 years ago
i think this no backward use of 360 games will piss a lot of people off and lead them to move to Ps4, i like so many people have spent a lot of money on games and kept some to still play, but to get the new console would have to sell 360 and get nothing for it and nothing for games they've kept to still play, i don't think they have taken this into consideration at all, they just think we the gamer's have loads of money!!!!!!!! they need to re-think this or they will lose a lot of gamer's like me if they do these silly things..................one very annoyed gamer
taggy san's avatar
taggy san 3 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Dont know but i always got the impression that backwards compatibility was something that people wanted just for the sake of wanting it and never used.
Whitey 3 years ago
PS4 is not backwards compatable either by the way.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
They have been terrible with explaining things I am still no clearwer on the used games situation it was very vague.
Whitey 3 years ago
As far as i can tell with used games, only participating retailers will allow trade-ins, when you trade a game into a store, they update on the system that the game has been traded in and the code is then taken from your xbox account so you no longer have rights to play it, as Xbox one games are like PC, you're buying an activation key not the disc.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Zombieflamingo, I believe you are right. I had the backwards compatible PS2, and I never played any PS2 games on it really. And the XBOX comments are right, they are terrible at explaining everything.
taggy san's avatar
taggy san 3 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Yeah I believe that is right Whitey, but they are talking about charging £30 to buy pre-owned games, which basically cuts out the point of buying pre-owned games.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Backwards compatability is good for the first 6 months of a console as there arent many games about but after that think its useless so that has never been an issue PS2 was the first backwards compatable console, Megadrive was but you had to buy extras same with playing Gameboy games on snes and other systems. So guessing the retailer is GAme over here so your screwed if you dont have a game in your city.
Whitey 3 years ago
I am kind of for and against used games, while i understand some people can not afford to buy new games, the developers/publishers put a lot of work into games and used games are just killing the industry, if you can't afford them day one then just wait for a sale, games are usually halved in price within a month of release. I always buy new stuff any way, a big reason is because used games are always scratched any way and i like to take good care of my games, so used games will not affect me whatever they decide.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Cant even remember the last time i bought a preowned game usually find there isnt much of a price difference and the fact that the majority of new games have DLC in them if bought new it just makes more sense for them. I had one of the convertor things for the mega drive it was a big massive thing that plugged into the top.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
The good thing with used games is picking up old classics thet you cant buy anymore where can you buy games like Blue Dragon and Kameo brand new?
Games on Demand
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
True but if they do the digital side properly then you could always get them for cheap there havent they said that all games will be released digitally the same time they are released. Granted they still have to get the pricing right but i have noticed they are getting a lot better recently even with there sales for the games on demand i recently got Grid for £2.50 and MGS peace walker for £5.
devil in red's avatar
devil in red 3 years ago
the more info i get on the xbox one the more i get lured towards the ps4 .
As I said before, Microsoft are more likely to go Origin than Steam
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
To be fair if Xbox said it was going all digital a lot of this could of been avoided if they said we are going to emulate steam I am sure they wouldnt of got as much flack its becuase there trying to do a halway house thing.
Read between the lines
Whitey 3 years ago
Yeah steam is the best thing since gaming, Origin however is a pile of sauce
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Well, Xbox Support on twitter have said family is determined by "within a household". https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/345221223975890944
Whitey 3 years ago
What i want to know if can you edit and change who is on your shared list, lets say you put people on your list at launch then a few years down the line they are not on xbox anymore, is it possible to remove them and add someone else?
type105x's avatar
type105x 3 years ago
Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time. Take it for what it is, I can share A game with 10 people That's great new's why all this bloody hate hype all the time? People still going on about needing the internet for the xbox one?
Whitey 3 years ago
It seems the ones complaining about needing an internet connection are the ones using an internet connection to complain on forums and sites. I can see why it would bother some people, having to use the internet to play single player games, but I really can't see why anyone would buy a console to only play single player.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
people love a good moan also it seems like the popular thing to do.
Whitey 3 years ago
Not sure if anyone has noticed this but looking at the images I can't seem to find a power button on the Xbox One, is saying "Xbox off" and "Xbox on" the only way to power up/down the system? That's really weird if it is
What an ignorant thing to say " I really can't see why anyone would buy a console to only play single player" I only play Single Player games and play Multi-player once in a blue moon as do a lot of people
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Mean you do not have to give your Disc to your friend or buy an extra copy for your son? sound Amazing...
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 3 years ago
major nelson said on twitter that he's doing a blog post about family sharing soon. So it should be clearer once that goes up.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Could be a small touch sensitive button like the eject tray on the slim xbox.
It's 2013 everything is online now
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I usually turn mines on with the controller same with my wii u and ps3. just too much effort to get up :)
Whitey 3 years ago
To be honest I don't really like the idea of talking to my xbox, all this kinect tech is fancy and all but that's not my cup of tea.
i'm done, that comment put me in a bad mood
type105x's avatar
type105x 3 years ago
You hold the guide button in for 3/4 sec's and click xbox off as you can turn the kinect fully off :)
magicalclive's avatar
magicalclive 3 years ago
Dont really understand the need for backwards compatability. I want the new xbox for new xbox games. Also, switching to playstation makes no sense as obviously that doesnt play your 360 games either, really stupid reasoning.
shadowsedge19's avatar
shadowsedge19 3 years ago
I have had this exact same thought, and I have confirmed with a member of @XboxSupport on Twitter that the rumour that 2 or more "Family" members can't play the same game from the same person's collection is FALSE. It would be highly impractical if 10 people all sharing the same games collection can play the same game at the same time as it's highly likely to happen at some point.
Whitey 3 years ago
Just read updated info that you plus 1 other person in your shared group can play the same game at the same time including any DLC you buy, this is awesome so now me and a friend can go halves on a game and both play it and the other people in your group can play it when you're not playing it. What I'm wondering though is if the owner of the game gets priority, so if someone is playing my shared game and i want to play it but they won't come off, will it give me the right to play it any way and kick them off because I actually own it.
waynej's avatar
waynej 3 years ago
@Whitey - The way I understand it, is that the content/game owner always has access to his purchased content, while 1 of 10 friends can access your Shared Library at a time. To clarify, I do not believe multiple friends can be playing different games from your Shared Library; but rather only one can access your entire Library at a time, in addition to of course, yourself - the owner. For example I could buy Dead Rising 3, which is a 2-player Live co-op game, I could play this in addition to one other person on my friends list. It's the equvilant of 2-player split-screen across the world, and it's obviously a huge selling point. Microsoft however are naturally very unclear in their messaging to us, the consumer, which with the slightly higher specs and cheaper price point, and much less confusion in general - that's certainly what makes the PS4 a simpler proposition to jump into. If what MS has planned with Game Sharing though comes to fruition, it may yet be more cost effective to embrace their digital future. If your internet goes down on launch day though, don't come messaging me. ;)
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 3 years ago
This seems like a great feature and I wouldn't be surprised to see MS respond to Sony's 'this is how you share games on the PS4' video citing this system. If I understand it correctly, it's exactly the same as sharing a physical disc - only one person can use it at a time - with the advantage that you can share it easily and immediately with someone that doesn't even live anywhere near you. Obviously I'll wait for full clarification but sounds great to me. Initially I did wonder if this would impact on games sales, but just think of how many of the games announced are built for multiplayer - no group of friends would share a single copy of COD for example, but say I buy a game that my mates are sceptical of, I can give them a chance to try it out before buying and playing together. What would not surprise me though, is to see that shared games cannot be played online, something like that.
Whitey 3 years ago
Also just heared from a friend that apparently someone at Microsoft said they are aiming for a steam like digital service, if this is true and they can pull it off then I will be very happy.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Yeah, it was posted up in here before Whitey. He said if you prefer games, go with PS4 though :P
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Seeing as the console is region locked in assume the sharing will be as well.
Whitey 3 years ago
Maybe, that doesn't bother me though as I only have people in UK on my friend list