Wii U is "great value, no price cut needed" says Nintendo VP, Scott Mofitt

It seems like those waiting for a Wii U price cut are going to be in for a long wait.

In a new interview with VentureBeat, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing Scott Mofitt claims that the console offers great value, and believes that the games shown at E3 will help to drive sales further.

"We have no plans to change the price of Wii U. The Wii U is a great value. With great content coming, that will drive the hardware installed base," he said.

"We’ve gone from being the highest-priced console on the market to now being a great value with the announcements from our competitors. The perception of our price has changed, but what’s also changed is that people now see what great content is coming. They’ll see the value in those games. They’ll be able to enjoy a Wii U in their household for a lot less than a competing console."

How do you feel about this? Do you feel that Nintendo showed enough during it's E3 Nintendo Direct to drive sales forward?

Let us know below.

Edited On 17 Jun, 2013

Comments
Yes and No
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
£99 and I'll consider it.
ASC's avatar
ASC 3 years ago
Currently the Wii U lacks 3rd party titles and installed userbase. Games like Smash bros may well be system sellers but coming out after the ps4/xbone release means people won't be as eager to buy in when they have a whole load of new next gen titles to choose from. Nintendo really needed to shift more hardware between its release and the next gen consoles to really remain competitive. It shouldn't die completely, but it will almost certainly be taking a back seat for the next few years.
Mark 3 years ago
The WiiU is not good value at all. When you consider the PS3 and 360 are both cheaper, have better games library and larger install bases then what benefit is there of the WiiU. Also 3rd party developers and publishers like EA have abandoned the wiiU and multiplatform games generally perform worse on the WiiU. Certain game engines like Frostbite 2&3 won't work on the WiiU because its CPU is too weak. The WiiU's main competition is the PS3/360 and not the PS4/XB1.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
We need our resident WiiU cheerleader to get in here! GLORIA! Where are you?!?!?
You're talking crap Mark, EA have already done a U turn and said they will produce Wii U games when the install base is viable, so all that talk about it not being powerful enough to run Frostbite 2 was a load of crap, it runs on mobile phones FFS. I think the price is OK as is, if you shop around you can pick one up for £150, which is pretty reasonable, and additional storage to the 8GB model is cheap as chips. There's a nice steady release schedule of decent titles set for the rest of this year, and it doesn't matter that the best is to come next year, as plenty of people won't be able to afford a PS4 or Xbone for a good while with the current economic climate, and with the Wii U less than half the price it will become quite an enticing prospect for a lot off people.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
wow u call her and shes straight in! thats our gloria, she has a sixth sense, and a 7th and 8th :P
I've been out shopping, I answered as soon as I could.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Awesome! That was beautifully timed! Haha! I knew you'd have a response better than I could ever come up with. the WiiU is still there as one I'd like to get. but like the XBone, it'll be a little way down the line.
I'm done replying to people that start making up their own info
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Wii U remains a good choice for people who can't afford next gen consoles but in no way can it compete with the PS4 and Xbox One, but then again I don't think they want to compete, they are happy with how they're doing at the moment, I for one will never buy a Wii U no matter how cheap it is because the games don't interest me at all.
Yeah, you like boring grey brown realistic games don't you Whitey.
& That is how it should be Whitey. If the Wii U doesn't interest you,fair enough, you shouldn't go out of your way to bash it just because it doesn't interest you.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Nintendo need to go back to the drawing board, gaming has evolved and Mario and co are no longer draws.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
the Wii U does interest me im a big ninty fan deep down, i tried bringing the 3DS to work today but the wife said no cant argue i brought it for her (for my own use) at the moment there is not enough to get me to buy 1 but 1 day i will! not just for me i think my kids would really appreciate it! mario was 1 of my heros as a kid and i know my kids will love him too! got my luigis mansion 2 free code today aswell! sweet, what a deal 4 for 3 cant moan at that either!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
can somebody who owns the game im sure u do gloria confirm if you can have more than 1 save on luigis mansion 2 please?
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
I'm not bashing the Wii U at all, It's a good system but games like Mario/Sonic/Zelda do not interest me so there is no reason for me to buy one, although i did used to love playing mario party on the gamecube and Wii
Pretty sure it has 3 save slots Shep.
Sorry Merle, but gaming has not evolved, the hardware just has the ability to produce more realistic visuals, and the youth of today love the grim and gritty realistic approach, just like they do with films.
I'm didn't mean that you are bashing the Wii U, I mean that the people without any interest in the Wii U or anything Nintendo for that matter should just lay off.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
ill be getting 1 next year some time! it will "be fore the kids" obviously :P
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I think the problem is with Nintendo its the same games over and over again. We have a new smash Bros, Mario Kart and Mario party coming they will all be solid games I have no doubt in that its just seems a lack of ideas. The games I am most looking forward to on Wii U Is the Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2
Richard Starwind's avatar
Richard Starwind 3 years ago
When you buy a console, you choose the one that has the most games you like on it. Nintendo have so many i play, Xbone only has Halo 5 and PS4 only has KH3. so they will be on the waiting list, bought a WiiU day 1 same as a 3DS due to the fact it had games i enjoy, no other reason. people that feel that dumping on other consoles because they dont have THERE games makes me laugh. EA i dont care about because none of there games interest me. Over 1,000 Parties Interested In Developing For Wii U Since Nintendo Web Framework Announcement. guess the haters gonna hate
Maybe they don't draw you and today's kids with their "If it isn't Realistic (Brown) and have guns it's crap" attitude but plenty of people do care about them. That's why you keep hearing the "Reports" about Nintendo putting Snes on Ipad or Nintendo going 3rd party, all because that would be a pretty big deal
I don't agree that Nintendo make the same games over and over but I will say that Nintendo use the same characters over and over
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
i fell in love with my wifes 3DS yesterday when i finally got some games on it, MH3 is an immense game i used to love playing the games and i have not had 1 since ps2 days so i fell in love straight away, yet to play fire emblem but i know i will love that but ive quit starting 2 games at once because thats how my games go unfinished so ill have MH on the 3ds and witcher 2 on the 360 to do before i go on anything else!
Nintendo going third party, yeah like that's ever going to happen. Why anyone would rather that happened than just buy a Nintendo console is beyond me.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
How is the Witcher 2 any ways? It's on steam sale at the moment for £5 i kept meaning to try it out before but i already have like 30 games i need to finish, too much stuff to play
TBH I'm getting really sick of people saying that, it's come to the stage that if someone says that in front of me, they are getting a punch right it the throat
Have you played The Witcher 1?
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I hate the whole "It's only a fiver I'll buy it and play later!" mentality because Stuff goes on sale on Steam too often. I know a guy with a metric fuck tonne of steam games but I never see him play something that isn't STO or DayZ.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
witcher 2 is better than the 1st 1 i think! im literally well up for playing it again just because im excited for number 3 and i know that wont be out til mid next year!
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
I've not played the original Witcher no, W2 does look ok but i don't know the combat looks quite slow and basic, even though it's only £5 I don't know if I'll ever play it but thw Witcher 3 does sound good and I'm guessing it follows the story on.
Of course the Assassins of Kings is better but The Witcher 1 is worth playing in it's own right
The combat is strategic
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
i enjoyed the 1st 1 else i would of avoided the second 1, the 1st 1 got me hooked for a sequal so it does deserve a go if you havent played it! well worth it! bring on witcher 3!
thewhitehobbit's avatar
thewhitehobbit 3 years ago
@gloria frostbite engine there making for mobiles is NOT same as the 360/ps3/pc version due to different hardware. reason behind the PR BS of EA is wii u will not bend to new models of payment and in game purchases and second hand sales like xbox and playstation have bended to as without 3rd party devs consoles will die or not make it to production. nintendo is behind again on hardware as wii u is similar to xbox in a few hardware ways since they done a deal with XBOX/MS for ms made games back catalogue not sure if its original xbox ms games or x360 ms made games. frostbite 2 engine has piss poor test results on wii u so no frostbite 3 games for wii u and EA HAS NO games in dev for wii u : Published Thursday, 16 May 2013 Update: EA has clarified that it currently has "no games in development for the Wii U" in a statement to Kotaku. EA supported Nintendo's new console initially with ports of older titles like Mass Effect 3, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, FIFA 13, and Madden 13, but this was merely the publisher fulfilling its part of its partnership with Nintendo from E3 2011 wherein then-CEO of EA John Riccitiello stated at Nintendo's press conference that "Nintendo's new console will produce brilliant high-definition graphics and new gameplay opportunities. We look forward to seeing great EA content on this new platform." This doesn't necessarily mean that EA will never develop for Wii U, but it doesn't sound terribly promising. Original story: EA is going to skip the Wii U for 15 of its upcoming titles - including Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age 3 and its unannounced Star Wars games - due to the console's incompatibilities with DICE's Frostbite Engine 3.
thewhitehobbit's avatar
thewhitehobbit 3 years ago
wii u aint next gen more like last gen which arrived way to late to the party as everyone is moving on to the new consoles, take a 360 over wii u anyday, controller, online, games for starters are way better. (played on one )
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
shut the fuck up hater! i dont own a wii u! but i dont slate it, if u dont like it then fair enough it doesnt hurt you other people love it! get over yourself mate your opinion is NOT that important, ill join the wii u posse 1 day! PS Gloria i need your ninty code for the 3DS and anyone else who has 1, i only have Nox as a friend haha! FYI my name will be kikicookie as its the wifes DS but shes not an online gamer!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I only play Pokemon on DS. I'm still undecided whether to get Y still
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
i think i will 100% be getting X and Y as ive missed white and black and i dont see the point in getting them with X and Y due in 4 months! i still play fire red on my GBA :D
I would still get White/Black and White2/Black2, the story has meaning and is quite good but you will be able to transfer 5th Gen Pokemon to X&Y (Also you can battle me)
thewhitehobbit's avatar
thewhitehobbit 3 years ago
the last console they did this to was sega dreamcast oh where did that end up going???
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
To be completely honest I think Nintendo should stop making consoles and just publish their games on Playstation and Xbox instead, people like their games but I don't think they can compete in the hardware market so I personally think they will be better off just being a game publisher.
thewhitehobbit's avatar
thewhitehobbit 3 years ago
hahah fan boy has to swear shep u silly little cunt im not a hater, just proved why to the fanboys n girls EA has ditched the console, anyway nintendo is for little kids anyway. they should stick to nintendo handhelds as they are the best for handheld gaming.
Mark 3 years ago
The only thing the WiiU will be good for is 1st Party titles. And when you consider that all nintendo announced was a WiiU update of a 3DS game (Mario 3D world), another mario kart (MK8), Smash bros and a Zelda remake, its easy to see why some people think the WiiU will fail. They have lost their originality. People are tired of the same nintendo games on every system. The last console that EA abandoned was the Dreamcast and that ended Sega. I can see Nintendo only doing handhelds in the future.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
i would love to bump into you in the street :D would make me so happy! i would make sure i had a wii u in a bag in 1 hand why i used my other hand to punch you square on the nose with a massive grin on my face :D
thewhitehobbit's avatar
thewhitehobbit 3 years ago
big words for a little cunt i would love to bump into u on the street and i can tell u now fatboy i wouldnt be the one going down, not only are u a xbox fanatical retard but also a internet hardman congrats cheevo unlocked for being a dick all your life 100g :)
thewhitehobbit's avatar
thewhitehobbit 3 years ago
nintendo had one of the best devs onboard before they decided to sell to microsoft and that company was RARE
& There is the reason I don't talk to twats "Nintendo is for little kids" Get over yourself. FYI 3D World isn't a Wii U update
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
haha you have a lovely way with words :D if its 1 thing im not its a keyboard warrior im just simply telling you i would enjoy punching you in the face, not using lil boy words to try and "hurt my feelings" haha your a little boy im afraid, im just being honest, you deserve a punch in the face, im saying it nicely ;-)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
hobbit don't come here giving it the big i am you fucking cunt
Look how RARE turned out
thewhitehobbit's avatar
thewhitehobbit 3 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare look at how many classic nintendo games that was made by them. shame microsoft broke em down to a few people.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Everyone who has a Nintendo wii u I need some advice! Right I love games that don't take them self series and are colourful and fun but I've never owned a Nintendo console apart from a game boy sp and game boy colour and never played a zelda game?
thewhitehobbit's avatar
thewhitehobbit 3 years ago
tootell seriously is that your name sounds like one of the kids from peter pan the one who keeps losing his marbles. judging by how u have read anything i have said as being ill against nintendo or by responding to a fatfuck gobbing off behind a screen like shep shows that you also have a low iq especially since you come out with the swearing like that just like shep did. yes i am a cunt and you are another one of these brainless sheep following wankers called a fanatic, guessing you are bunking school or sitting on ya ass doing fuck all as you aint got a job. suggest re-reading my first comment and try to point out any hatred towards anyone if you can that is ;)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Get Dead Rising 2: Off the Record it's a fun version of Dead Rising 2
I would take Intelligent Systems, GAME FREAK, Retro Studios, HAL Laboratory & Monolith Soft over RARE any day.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
What advice do you want Joe? Dont think I understand what your asking for?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Just embarassing when disagreements turn into slanging matches really. But anyway. Nintendo do great first party games, and I was considering a Wii U one day, but it's not a priority anytime soon for me. I would happily pay the price that it is now just to play more Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros and a Fire Emblem game, but then I'd feel bad that I'd spent all that money just to play 3 games.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
You know what hobbit you're right! I'm not that intelligent but I'm intelligent enough to know that you my friend are a right cunt!
@thewhitehobbit. Just go read a book or have an apple or something, just please........... go away
Go off for a bit to do stuff and the retards crawl out of the woodwork, whitehobbit, meet me on the street and spout any of your rubbish and I'll be wearing your balls as earrings in a matter of seconds. Tootell, there's not a lot to choose from right now, just Mario U and Nintendoland, but most of the first party stuff coming in the next 6 months should suit you OK.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Does anyone know if whitehobbit is David's 2nd account? :P
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Thanks Gloria was thinking of getting a ps3 but this may suit me better
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Bind all I really want to know is will I enjoy the games and also am I not to late to the Nintendo party!
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
ROFL Whitey. Don't think so since his grammar is a lot better but you never know with David
No worries, like I said earlier there's a pretty solid line up set for the rest of this year, sure you'll find more than a few that you'll enjoy.
whitehobbit is a different kind of special needs from David.
Never too late to the party Tootell ;)
I don't have one yet but I think getting a PS3 right now is better than getting a Wii U right now since with the PS3 you have access to 6 years worth of exclusives
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Basically you have to look at the first party stuff really and not much out at the moment Scribblenauts is quite good but hard to get hold of a copy as I dont think it has properly been released or ever will be. Nintendoland is good if you have friends round alot there are some single player games on it but didnt hold much attention for me apart from the yoshi game. New Super Mario Wii U is ok but something didnt feel right with it to me.
Oh and I forgot that Nintendo basically own Project Zero (Fatal Frame) now
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
If you're looking for a ton of fun exclusive games, you're best bet is going for the Wii or the PS3. If you want a console that will take your money sometime in the future, you can go Wii U, but by then, you'll have the XBOX One to worry about.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Is the game pad rechargeable
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Yeah it comes with a charging cradle Joe
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
is 8gb going to big enough or what bind?
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Depends on how much you have to spend if there is not much price difference get the premium as you get nintendoland free. Also bear in mind there is a 5GB update so that will only leave you with 3 unless the new consoles come with that update already installed? If you get a statndard would suggest getting a external hard drive as well.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
and all external hard drives are supported? i think ill have to research some more before taking the plunge
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_external_storage.jsp?menu=general_info&submenu=wup-external-usb-storage bit of info for you Joe
All the new consoles already have the update and the Wii U used to take up the whole external hard drive but I believe now you can choose how much the Wii U can use
Think you can get a terrabyte of storage for Wii U for about the same price as a 32GB Vita memory card.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
You can get a Basic console with Mario here for £189.99 (at least you could last week) which is just over half the price of a PS4 when it launches. The prices for the multiplat games like Assassin's Creed are the same price as the PS3/360 versions. Not to mention there's the entire Wii back catalog too to be had. They also got an exclusive every month for the rest of the year at least out. So can't complain. It's pretty safe to say that aside from Game and Wario that all of these titles will be well received too.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Does the WIi U play Wii games too?
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Yes it does. But you need to have the Wii-Motes etc. So if selling to upgrade don't sell the controllers
amby spark's avatar
amby spark 3 years ago
Wow Gloria you really need to quit being a fan..girl :p