Update: Microsoft dumps DRM and Always Online from Xbox One

Microsoft is to dump its highly unpopular DRM restrictions for the Xbox One.

Basically this means:

- No more always online requirement
- The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
- All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
- An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
- All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
- No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
- Region locks have been dropped

Gamers have been calling for all of the above restrictions to be removed and it seems like they have now got their wish.

Here's a letter confirming the news from Microsoft's Don Mattrick:

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games– After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

What do you think of this news?

Edited On 20 Jun, 2013

Comments
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I wonder if you will still be able to launch the game from your hardrive then.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Good good. I called this didn't I? After Sony beat the shit out of them at E3, I said that MS would backpedal and so they did. Still, gloating aside. From a gamers point of view, this is all good news. It is after all just a firmware update to bring it or remove it, I hope they keep it like this for the life of the console.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Also, "thank you for your candid feedback" am I the only one that read, "please stop swearing at us because we didn't want to supply Vaseline for your arse hole"?
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
It does show that they listen which is always good.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Brilliant for them really. They need to sack whoevers idea these things were first mind, as they've ruined their own E3 presentation. BUT, they can rectify it all. Get in it's core gamers, treat them right and make sure they keep up this 'trying to get exclusives' all the way through.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 3 years ago
I imagine this will cause a spike in pre-orders. I hope shopto doesn't accidentally over sell.....
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Haha... exceptional... truly exceptional. Clearly Sony's teabagging at E3 hit them hard. Regardless, this is a big win for the consumer and common sense in general and the Xbone has now gone from a no-buy from me to a "Maybe when it's £250 or so" consideration. There's still also the issue of mandatory Kinect though... not so hot on that.
YEN 3 years ago
Great news from Microsoft. All consumers win whether you are a Sony fan or a Microsoft fan. Personally I prefer the PS4, but still will applaud Microsoft's decision.
YEN 3 years ago
Arun1910's avatar
Arun1910 3 years ago
Yeah, thats all great, but there are more things than DRM that stand out in this console war. Pricing - £350 PS4 vs £450 Xbox One with mandatory kinect to whack up the price Exclusives - Sony exclusives are way better IMO Power - It's fact that the PS4 has more power than the Xbox One. Microsoft even stated they weren't going for power but for an all rounded entertainment box. The Xbox One is only 3 times more powerful than the 360 (Microsoft actually said this) and the PS4 is 10 times as powerful as the PS3, which was more powerful than the 360 anyway, it was just their stupid cell processor Sony have still got me on their side. And no I am not a fanboy. I bought a 360 two years ago because PS3 multiplats suck. I love both consoles for different reasons.
Baiken_'s avatar
Baiken_ 3 years ago
Shep will sure be happy, this is good news for all gamers really.
While it's good and all, Microsoft havw lost what little respect I had for them. At least stick to your guns
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
When Shep finds out he will think its his birthday lol. But that's great news though for people getting the Xbox One. I do plan on getting it sometime but PS4 comes first.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
Happy that they have done this, Means I will be able to keep on renting games on Lovefilm :D Was going to get it anyway but this just makes it sweeter.
Gary 3 years ago
Just cancelled my ps4 pre order and pre ordered my xbox one console. 2 reasons why I wanted the ps4 at E3... 1 no internet requirement & used game fees. 2 Kingdom hearts 3 & final fantasy 15 After E3 We find out both kingdom hearts 3 and ff 15 are coming to the xbox one and now no more internet requirement and game fees = winner to microsoft. I no longer need the ps4. Thank you microsoft
harrispcarl's avatar
harrispcarl 3 years ago
They will try to play this as "We listened, and have changed". To me it comes across that they have panicked at the pre order numbers. All the things they were trying to install would protect them (piracy/Used game market) and they would still love them to be on the new system. I'm sure thou, they've just seen the customer reaction via the Pre Orders, and seen they were on a hiding. So they changed it.
& the sad truth is that the Xbox One will be the lead platform on most games since it's less powerful
harrispcarl's avatar
harrispcarl 3 years ago
True PikaNox, but with the Sony in house studios, they will max out the system. Uncharted and The Last Of Us are great examples.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
Criticised for introducing DRM, then criticised when listening to what people want. No pleasing some people is there...
Arun1910's avatar
Arun1910 3 years ago
LFC Bywater - Because it doesnt matter. It is still inferior in many ways. And they still have mandatory spy cam.
I know
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Its the internet you cant please anyone.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
Don't care if it's inferior. Still has some great exclusives and you have the option to have the camera not watching you and just listening to simple voice recognition. Power isn;t everything.
Exclusives where (Looks around aimlessly)
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Well didnt see that coming didnt think Microsoft would cave. Not just the DRM its used games and sharing as well I think they had to after the kicking they have been getting. Well a win for the consumers.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
Titanfall, Dead rising 3, Ryse, that sunset over drive or whatever its called. there are plenty.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
killer instinct instinct aswell
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
Also Forza 5
Killer Instinct looks crap though.
Glennb's avatar
Glennb 3 years ago
Still £80 more than ps4 you can still stick it!
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
What about all the others I listed?? Can you see them Conor...?
robioto's avatar
robioto 3 years ago
I didn't see this coming so soon, I really though they would be stubborn and actually release the console before being forced to change by poor sales, when it's probably too late. Fortunately they have been smart and have stamped it out early, fair play MS. The Xbox One is now back on my radar, but is still second in line after the PS4.
sabba88's avatar
sabba88 3 years ago
Who wants to bet a clarification comes later though, stating that this only affects microsoft published games, still leaving teh choice for third party publishers to enact their own drm.
FYI Titanfall isn't exclusive
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Bywater, no point in arguing with people who don't like the XBOX, it won't change :P
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
Is it available on Ps4?
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
And ignoring the list of other exclusives i put?
It's available on PC
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 3 years ago
So it;'s a Microsoft exclusive. and not available on ps4
Just btw. For the people that don't know, i'm just messing
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
its ok the XBO lover has arrived before he goes to sleep just to say WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
The interesting one is the region locking has been lifted didnt think they would do that as didnt seem to big a problem on the 360
It's a console exclusive
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
FUCKING WOO HOO!!!! brooker did call it bang on to be fair, i dont think they will change now they have done this, be for the life of the console or until sony do it, which they wont!
That's the one thing that made me take notice, no region lock
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 3 years ago
I'm actually a bit disappointed. The online sharing thing sounded great to me - why could they not have kept some form of digital sharing, at least for titles downloaded from the Xbox store? This could have elevated them above Sony, rather than just drawing level with them. I think if they'd marketed the family sharing thing, people would've seen that it was actually better than sharing of physical discs. Speaking of which, needing the disc to be in the drive is annoying for those of us who didn't have a problem with the 24 hour check in. I wish they'd had an opt-in system or something - perhaps in the future. I am pleased that trade ins and private sales are now permitted though. One thing I would ask though, is what of games like Forza 5 which is said to rely upon the cloud - it can't be played offline surely? I hope developers don't shy away from utilising the cloud in order to appease offline gamers.
Well i'm sorry we are an inconvenience to you
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Titanfall not Xbone exclusive. Also on 360 and PC, with a PS4 version a year after the others (Most reliable sources confirmed on Neogaf and Respawn were hinting as much). Also Dead Rising 3 might be Xbone exclusive, but just remember Capcom's business model for game releases, there will be an updated version released within a year of the original(See: Dead Rising 2 and just about every other Capcom title this gen) and you can bet that one WILL be on PS4. Also, if you think Ryse (aka Space Channel 5 meets Spartacus) and Killer Instinct (From the developers of Green Lantern!) are worth paying £430 for, then you have some very low standards. Still... I suppose Forza looks okay :)
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Wonder if retailers had something to do with it with some saying we wont stock your products.
Dan_1's avatar
Dan_1 3 years ago
Well I'm sorry my opinion is different to that of most people, does that mean that I shouldn't voice it? A lot of the Xbox One features were built around it always being online. We will no longer be able to use instant switching between games for example, because there's nothing instant about having to put a different disc in. A small thing, but still a thing.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Well surely if you can install games to your hard drive you can still do the instant switching? Surely that had nothing to do with being online?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Great news but I'm still getting my ps4 I think it could be a trap bring people in then one Misserable winters morning you wake up think ohh ill play dead rising I just borrowed of your mate... Turn your xbox one"ohh what's this a firmware update" you download it, BANG DRM IS BACK, Microsoft are driving into work in there new Porsches and ferraris thinking " HAHA YOU BASTARDS!"
You will be able to do Instant Switching with downloaded games but not retail games
UKVampire's avatar
UKVampire 3 years ago
Too Little Too Late microsoft
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
so glad i decided to pre order both consoles know great news , ordered xbox 1 a month back so hope my one is safe before more people order now haha
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Agreed Dan, they should really have kept the 'good points' that certain XBOX people were going on about, but made the main focus of their console the same as it is now.
Mind you I will still switch the old fashioned way, I don't like the Idea of shouting at my Xbox to switch to Sunset Overdrive
I'm sure they could give people the option of installing the game so people can play it from the Hard Drive like ..... I don't know ....... a bit of code on the disk
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Sorry, but the damage has already been done M$, you have proven that you are willing to do it, so whats to stop you from activating it all a year or so down the line, I won't be picking up a one, until 2015 at the earliest, i just don't trust M$ not to sell-out the gamers again and jump back into the multi-media market to draw in more non-gamers, I'm sticking with Sony.
Well said Merle. It's not about console wars or exclusives to me, it's about trust
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
lets see how the pre orders look in a couple of days , it was stupid but at least they corrected there mistakes. it would off not effected me anyway so this is just a bonus i still would have brought one anyway
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
WTF is this sh*it? I'm not getting Xbox now, switching to PS4, I wanted DRM and new games.
b3media's avatar
b3media 3 years ago
I'm sad this has happened. Rather than change the way we game, we're restricted to another console which is dictated by disc based sales. Gone are the advantages of having a steam like system. With that type of system we would have be able to receive games at greatly reduced prices in the future, just look at how popular Steam Sales are! Another analogy here would of been the App Store, and how big publishers, such as EA have sales regularly on their most popular titles. Also, The publishers/developers would have been receiving maximum benefits regarding sales rather than companies like G!#E. All they do is rip us off by giving us £2 for a game and then selling it for £20, and the publisher/developer receiving nothing for someone else playing that game. People are scared of change, and genuinely feel that what Microsoft was going to bring with the Xbox One would have been a better environment for gamers and developers in the wider image. Yes, they would of, and did annoy a lot of people with their original policies, no more than people were annoyed at steam when that was first introduced. However, everyone now loves steam, and I'm pretty sure that people would have grown to love the Xbox One the way it was.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
They shoulda had this for E3 tbh. Damage has been done. Although now Sony need to start showing off games. Being able to do the same as EVERY other console isn't gonna cut it anymore. Microsoft's conference pretty much tiddled over Sony's in terms of game content and the two exclusives Sony did have quickly wasn't.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Having slept on it, I'm a little glad that MS have done this. It's always been on the cards that I'd grab the XB1 at "some point" if nothing else to play the few exclusives I'll miss without it and maybe play a little online with Shep! Now they've done this, "some time" will equate to being probably a couple of months after I've grabbed my PS4 and there's a good bundle to be had, instead of waiting until the 3rd rebuild, a £200 price drop and the lack of a will to live! I'm still not happy about always on kinect, but I can live with that knowing that at least if I buy Halo6, and it's shit, I can sell it on! I'll never forget though MS. The same as I won't forget about EA's Online passes and Ubi's shitty PC DRM, You can back pedal as much as you like, but I'll never forget that you tried.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I am the same as you trouble will now consider getting one maybe after Christmas once the teething problems have been sorted. But do have a feeling there is going to be a sting in the tail somewhere along the line. I would guess they have lost a fair bit of money due to this change.
If you don't want to trade in at stores like Game or the like then start cutting out the middle man and sell your games on Ebay
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Maybe it's because I'm old fashioned (at the ripe old age of 22), but I don't want all this fancy crap, I just pretty much want what we have now but more powerful.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 3 years ago
Glad to see MS bow to people pressure. But they need to start getting things right from the start, not constantly having to reverse bad decisions (*cough* Vista).
LRaynham's avatar
LRaynham 3 years ago
I like how people think Microsoft are doing this for their customers, they knew they stood to lose a ton of money by sticking with their bs marketing strategy, however if they are still focused on a digital and online future, they will likely install this back in sometime down the line, Sony offer a more powerful console for a lower price, the only thing Microsoft have is exclusives, however Sony have all their studios working on exclusives so that will even out, ps4 is 1st Xbox will be my 2nd
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Why do people keep saying the PS4 is more powerful like it's a huge leap ahead? It's barely that much different, CPU's are almost the exact same, RAM is the same amount but PS4 uses graphics memory instead of the normal, which isn't really that much better, just easier for games to take advantage of, and the GPU's are about 15 ranks between each other on the top ranked GPU cards at the moment which sounds quite a lot but really isn't that much different in terms of raw real time gaming performance.
DDR5 is one of the reasons
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
It's not DDR5 that does not even exist, it's GDDR5 there's a difference.
Sorry, that's what I meant XD. Way to jump on a missing letter
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Lol let you off then, annoys me when people throw DDR5 around for PS4 specs when you can't even get DDR5 memory at the moment, even highest end PC's are using DDR3 but then a dedicated graphics card in PC's also have GDDR5 dedicated video RAM.