Microsoft's Whitten talks DRM and Kinect always on

More information is coming out regarding Xbox One policies, including the fact that you'll need to install a day one patch.

Speaking to IGN, Mark Whitten has explained what will happen now that Microsoft has had a change of stance.

“There was always going to be a day one update on the console, and that’s frankly just a difference in manufacturing schedules versus software schedules,” he said.

“We just wanted to be clear that that hasn’t changed, that you have to go online to get the software update for day one, then you wouldn’t have to be connected after that.”

As far as always connected Kinect goes, it seems that's still a large part of Microsoft's plans.

“We still believe Kinect is a really critical part of the architecture,” Whitten said.

“We want game and interactive entertainment creators to be able to know they can take advantage of it, and we want it to be completely consistent for our users. So we still are very committed to how Kinect transforms that experience.”

In a separate interview with Kotaku, Whitten as discussed some of the things that will change now that there is no DRM.

“There’s a few things we won’t be able to deliver as a result of this change,” Whitten told the site. “One of the things we were very excited about was ‘wherever we go my games are always with me.’ Now, of course your physical games won’t show up that way. The games you bought digitally will.”

“You’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you.”

“Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won’t be able to deliver at launch,” he added.

“We believe a lot in this digital future,” Whitten concluded. “We believe it builds an amazing experience – the ability to have a broader sharing platform and my content coming with me, [but] what we heard is people still wanted more choice, they wanted the familiarity of the physical disc.”

Edited On 20 Jun, 2013

Comments
troublemaker 3 years ago
It's a step in the right direction. It doesn't kill all my concerns but it makes me feel a little better. This will do MS the world of good. I'm just gonna leave my opinion there and bugger off before the fanboy wars continue.
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Oh well to make all happy we have to go backward .....
troublemaker 3 years ago
Maybe a better way to put it would be "to keep us happy, some semblance of forward progress, not draconian locks to products and services that we fork over our hard earned money for"
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
a fanboy is right here brooker :P but i will not start a war i cannot win! its a good move but it shouldnt of been a move they had to make in the first place
troublemaker 3 years ago
I will always gladly say that I'm a fan of Sony and I always lean their way first. But I'm a gamer first and want access to as many good games as possible. Xbox has become a real possibility in my house in the next year because of this. But, like I said before, I'll be watching closely for them to try implementing these policies again.
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
troublemaker> by all mean.. for us retailers is better we will sell more disc's.. we also now know that for the next 5 year download will not happen but we will have less publishers making games and less games per year.. For end user they will have only few games to play per year and few pre owned games to sell per year... and walk with disc's to friends house.. :-)
troublemaker 3 years ago
I don't think we'll see much in the way of change to what we have now when it comes to games releases etc. I think that DRM lockdown would hurt devs and publishers, not to mention retailers, harder than the current system is. console manufacturers will always try and push day one digital, and one day they may get it, but the way things are, especially in this country, it's not possible. In the time it would take me to download TLOU on my connection, i could go to GAME, get the disc, get breakfast, come home, patch the game and still get 5-6 hours playtime. the internet infrastructure worldwide isn't ready for 25Gb downloads on day one! Just my opinion of course, i could possibly be wrong
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Exactly the whole concept was with a Disc you alo get a Digital code, like movie makers are doing at the moment.. so you do not need to crack the movie to have it also on you tablets.. to be able to give you the digital copy they must have a DRM.. "Digital Right Management"....
termigater's avatar
termigater 3 years ago
I have to admit I was looking forward to sharing games with 10 friends but now this isn't happening. The always online never bothered me because every time I turn on my Xbox 360 it connects to the internet and the Kinect can be turned of in the privacy setting or simply turned around lol I was still going to physically buy games, install from disc and then put the disc on the shelf never to be touched again and have access to them wherever I was but now we'll have to take games with us. Digital downloads will still be accessible but going of the current games on demand prices I can't afford them
troublemaker 3 years ago
Movies are slightly different though, IMHO. By the time a movie gets to blu-ray, usually, it's profit has been made. blu-ray release is generally all profit. Games on the other hand, don't work like that (as you know) and handing out a code for a digital version is not really a viable option. it's essentially a free copy when mates go halves and buy one game and get two copies. I would also argue that UV copies are only moderately successful. with no overall way of watching them, and different studios requiring different set ups to watch them, I don't use them. they need uniformity, and I believe that the DRM (an often misused umbrella term, like "cloud") option for games needs the same thing. uniformity across manufacturers and publishers. something that is unlikely as long as they refuse to sit in a room together and talk the future!
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
They can seat many times they want but we just saw that if the public is not ready for the future is all pointless.... The past two week I just saw that going two step forward is not possible we have to take one step at the time...
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
termigater> you nailed down perfectly... glad to see few understood what was all about.. and the convenience user could had having a disc's and a Free digital copy.... but not all that come Free is welcome this days...
troublemaker 3 years ago
I believe we'd be more likely to try, if we weren't feeling like it was being jammed down our throats for the sake of profit. There will always be the ones that don't like the change. But I for one would have been a little easier about taking it on board if I didn't feel that it was all about their bottom line and consumer be damned!
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
About Profit: If you have an idea and need money to make it happen you will look for investors, they will only invest if you bring Profit and max profit.. in game industry they are not many investors left and interested to risk money..
troublemaker 3 years ago
Let's be realistic though. everything we've seen from the games industry over the last few years has been cheap to implement (eg. online passes) and has been in the name of short-term penny pinching. I undersand that to have an actual, beneficial, profitable idea requires invesatment first. but none of the big 3 console manufacturers are so poor that they can't take the hit for some long-term gain. Unfortunately, the same as in all business nowadays, it's only about what you can squeeze out of your customers this quarter, not how you can benefit the company this quarter century. The only way that works is if you manage to persuade people that you are selling an item that you can't possibly live without. Sadly for MS, Apple's bid for world domination has made us all look a little closer at the fine print
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
what about publishers and developers? we saw last few years title that have been developed for few years and costing millions they did not even make the top 15.... would they be there next year? would they have investors again to give money? ..... look 5 years ago how many publishers we had and how many games per year we had and look now...
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I think there is lots of ways to look at it the publishers have themself to blame as well as they just turned out lots of sequels or poor movie tie in games. With the procedures microsft wanted to implement they should of said this is a digital console only we are trying to emulate steam then there measures would of come across as not so bad.
troublemaker 3 years ago
But the only Publisher to go recently was THQ. A company that, it could be argued, had one of the better line-ups of games that weren't just clones of others. From my point of view, the games that have had millions spent and years wasted on them for them not even are generally either very bad games, have reviewed badly or simply not been marketed well. I remember watching a trailer for gears of war at a pg rated kids film at the cinema. who's dumb idea was that? Publishers do risk plenty. Capcom took a big risk with Remember Me that hasn't really panned out. But you'll remember them for trying. What was the last risk EA or Acti took? it's not because they don't have the money. it's because they know where their bread is buttered and would rather churn out another guaranteed seller and try something new.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
THQ went bust because they made a huge error with the U Draw they saw it sold well on Wii so thought it would do the same on Xbox and PS3 but didnt think it through properly and realise PS3 and Xbox were a different eco system which kinda shows why the move and kinect havent really taken off on either console
troublemaker 3 years ago
If one bad game was gonna kill an entire publisher, EA, Capcom and Deep Silver would have died long ago.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Gamers are fickle, the number of boycotts that have lasted about 30 minutes is unreal
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Yeah but THQ didnt have a cash cow they could fall back on like FIFA & Battlefield for EA and Resident Evil for Capcom.
troublemaker 3 years ago
Obviously I'm no expert. But I would have thought that the almost constant stream of titles that seemed to sell well (Darksiders, WWE, etc etc) would have kept them afloat.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
The U Draw revenue was down a $100m then what they expected thats a huge shortfall to make up there loss for the year was $56m so you can see how much of a difference the u draw made
troublemaker 3 years ago
Then I bow to your superior knowledge on my THQ example. I do still think that my point stands. Most have learned lessons from alot of failed experiments on the Wii. I wonder how many more FUSE like failures EA can take before they close down?
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Quite a few I would guess as FIFA and Madden in the states makes tons of money but I dont think EA put much money it to these products take FUSE and Shadows of the Damned and think how much advertising they put out there for these games pretty much zero there low risk investments I reckon they get back most of what they put in to most of these games.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
PS not saying shadows of the Damned is a bad game I loved it one of my favourite games last couple of years I was meaning that it didnt sell well.
troublemaker 3 years ago
I loved shadows of the damned!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I want to play Shadows of the Damned, but only because of the Zero Punctuation review
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Know what I don't get? Since when was walking to a friends house with a disc such a big deal? When was switching discs in the drive such a big deal? The way everyone is going on about it, gamers are all 30 stone 'stuck in a bed' types. Next people will moan that laptops don't follow their eye pattern to do stuff.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
At least now there is less chance of filling the xboner hard drive
Marc Thomas 3 years ago
Can someone clear up this article please: http://www.shopto.net/news/43229/Microsoft-to-continue-focus-on-digital-future To me it seems that they have admitted that they are going to go through with their initial plans at some point but I maybe wrong.