New retail report praises ShopTo

Industry marketing firm Cogneta has released a details from a new industry report which looks at the Q1 pricing behaviour of the UKs top video game  retailers.

The report takes in to account 800 million price points between January and March 2013. The analysis in the report is based on the data the UK's biggest retailers and how brands manage their competitive pricing position on a day to day basis.

According to the report the Gaming category is one of only a few where Amazon is getting real competition from a different retailer and that retailer is Shopto.

"ShopToNet has only started to be well known over the last few years. However, with very
low pricing, a loyalty scheme and good customer service, it’s fast becoming the gamers’ choice on where to buy," says the report.

"The pricing between the two is down to only .30% of a difference showing a keen focus on price matching to Amazon.

"What ShopTo seem to have realised is now the price is negligible between the two they can
focus on added value to try and win the customers over. They’ve recently started providing
Reviews and News on their main site starting to blend retail and a magazine style format to
build a community.

"Net-a-porter has shown how effective this can be in fashion retail and ShopTo seem to have
taken note.

The top 10 pricing index from the report is as follows:
  1. Amazon
  2. ShopToNet
  3. DSGI
  4. Zavvi
  5. Asda
  6. The Hut
  7. Argos
  8. Game
  9. Tesco
  10. Toys R Us

Edited On 20 Jun, 2013

Comments
I'm disappointed that we, as a community, who spend all day throwing abuse at each other, didn't get a mention. Poor show!
troublemaker 10 months ago
Grats on being 2nd ShopTo, I used to use this site before it became well known and glad it's becoming big. I can't help but lmao that Argos is above GAME.
Whitey 10 months ago
The news got a mention. Wooo. That's almost everyone getting a mention.
Joe Anderson (Editor) 10 months ago
It mentions that there is a community, so clearly we are the reason ShopTo is successful
Johno Muller 10 months ago
i did spot that. Good job Joe, and the rest. Yeah, been around here for years now Whitey. I'm almost part of the damn furniture!
troublemaker 10 months ago
Well done
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
I did have to google who DSGI are. Do many people buy from Amazon? I find there prices a bit all over the place not a big fan of there layout either for games.
Bindiana 10 months ago
Aye, this is my second account after I lost my initail password. But it's about 2/3 years old now, and I'm happy Shopto are now near the top. 0.30% difference to the biggest internet retailer available is amazing.
DynamiteWhyte 10 months ago
I buy some amazon stuff if it isn't on here or is more expensive. Like I got Super Scribblenauts after it disappeared on here and was only £3 on amazon.
DynamiteWhyte 10 months ago
I buy games from Amazon when they sell Saints Row 3 The Full Package for £6
Johno Muller 10 months ago
I bounce around depending on price. but if the price is the same everywhere, shopto is always first for me. Amazon is worth using, if you pay for prime.
troublemaker 10 months ago
Lower your PSP Vita price Shopto and you will be top, it would swing it! You Vitas are £50 more than Amazon!
robioto 10 months ago
My mum pays for prime, so I get the 'family' part of that :)
DynamiteWhyte 10 months ago
Strange, I pay for Prime so my mum gets the 'family' part
Johno Muller 10 months ago
Well done to everyone at shopto for your hard work guys! Your sure to be number one soon for sure your just an great game retailer all round. Been using your shop for years now & will continue to do so coz you guys just provide an superb service!
Akemi no Zero 10 months ago
& you were the one who recommended Shopto to me, Akemi (If that is indeed your real name)
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
Yeah i recommend shopto to all my good friends so they wont have to put up the heavy & crappy pricing of game the store & there paints service. Plus shopto is the best online game retailer end of! Pikanox is that your real name haha a little dig huh?
Akemi no Zero 10 months ago
You know my real name XD If I remember right is was Arcana Heart 3 you first recommended to get from here
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
What can i say Shopto in my eyes deserve top spot... keep up the great work. ^^
Kr0n1c 10 months ago
I always recommend Shopto have my brother ordering from here and a couple from work as well. All of my preorders are done through here as i have never been let down yet.
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
wouldnt of made the top 10 before us :P haha fair play and well done
Shep _1 10 months ago
116 completed orders over the last 5 years and I have not been let down once. Most of those are pre-orders and not 1 arrived late with 80-90% arriving a day or even 2 days before release. The one return I had to do was rectified immediately, great customer service. Shopto really is the king of computer games retail in the UK. Long may that continue.
robioto 10 months ago
Wow, is that what normal people average? Makes my 55 orders in 1 Year 2 Month look bad
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
Well I was at Uni in the early years so bought a lot less then, I probably average similar to you now. And I'm pretty sure I'm not a normal buyer! I buy a lot. For example 41 in 2012.
robioto 10 months ago
It makes me sad when I look at how much my total orders cost
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
Yeah, it does a bit, but it's my hobby. It's less than my mate spends on his Honda Civic every year!
robioto 10 months ago
well deserved shop to is my no 1 place to shop for games competive prices on games and always get them a day early , keep up the good work its nice to see news and reviews get mentioned as well people are starting to take notice
Dark-Assassin 10 months ago
10/06/2008 - MGS4 was my first game. I've bought 91 games since then. 38 since start of 2012. So not excessive, but still quite a bit.
DynamiteWhyte 10 months ago
Damn you guys order a lot, I've only had 26 orders in 3 years on here.
Whitey 10 months ago
WHAT!!!!!!!! U should have more since most of this Gen has been generic brown shooters and Zombie games Whitey
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
I've been PC gaming for over a year now and get my games either from steam or digital download sites, and with console games I usually go with which ever place has the best pre-order bonus and back before ShopTo never used to have many pre-order bonuses.
Whitey 10 months ago
Hate Pre-order bonuses, I try to avoid them as much as possible
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
I do wish shopto got a bit more in pre-order bonuses. While I went with Shopto for these the bonuses at Game for Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing were superb.
Robichoico 10 months ago
Yeah they are bad when every retailer has their own one because I like to have everything and not miss out on content, but most games do it now so I just pick whichever bonus content interests me more.
Whitey 10 months ago
TBH pre-order bonuses don't bother me too much 90% of the time. It's normally a costume, a weapons skin or a weapon which is fun for about 5 minutes. If they are something I see as trivial, I don't even use the code. Same with online passes seeing as I'm not an online gamer really.
robioto 10 months ago
Can't sleep :) Rob don't forget that Game are getting an Artbook for Time&Eternity
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
Should be top. I hate using Amazon and now Play as some games are sold indirectly like EBay. Also Play really stuffed up my Dead Space 2 order a few years back so my special edition didn't arrive till a month after. At least they sent me a free copy of Mindjack (lol)
Beazi 10 months ago
On another note, great to see CEX not on there at all. I don't mind trading of games but I hate that shop!
Beazi 10 months ago
CEX only deal with used stuff so you cannot compare prices. Surprised Grainger Games isn't on that list. They are decently competitive, it's often you can find launch titles for the same price and sometimes slightly less than amazon
Robichoico 10 months ago
Robichoico, you can when 80% of ShopTo's prices are cheaper for new than the second hand garbage CEX sell. I guess for retro consoles which PS3 and XBox 360 are eventually going to become, they will be good to get bargains. Until then, nope I refuse to buy from them. The stores are a mess, the discs normally scratched (which comes as part of their target market are people using them a pawn broker) and I've heard horror stories online. The stores also smell! However ShopTo smells very nice and is kinder to my wallet. I'm suprised the delivery times wasn't mentioned as I order by 5pm and get my game the next day.
Beazi 10 months ago
Never used Grainger Games, but they weren't the store selling games out of shrinkwrap as new?
Beazi 10 months ago
I only use CEX for Anime, they're pretty good at getting some harder to get stuff at cheaper prices. Same goes with games to an extent. Grainger Games some don't have the shrinkwrap in yes (you do if it's a bigger game, but if it's not as known or older then nope.), because they don't get dummy boxes like Game and the like do, they are smaller stores. Gamestation and HMV did the same. I used them for years and only ever had one issue with them, and that was when they put in the Demo for Metroid Prime Hunters in the box instead of an actual one lol
Robichoico 10 months ago
Can't say I'm in to anime. My brother likes going in there for some really quirky DVDs, but this isn't a problem with games (ShopTo sold me my Deadly Premonition). I wouldn't be keen using Grainger Games. Really there is very few retailers I use
Beazi 10 months ago