Wednesday Chat, June 26

It's Wednesday and officially the middle of the week. Unfortunately the world of gaming in June and July is fairly quiet, since most publishers choose to release games around Christmas time.

In this respect today's topic is about game releases. Would you like to see more game releases at this time of year? Specifically blockbuster titles. For instance, do you think that a June/July release Call of Duty could see as well as the same title released in December?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 26 Jun, 2013

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
ive never understood why some games release in the middle of the AAA explosion at the end of the year surely if they release throughout the year they will get better sales
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I think if they had games all around the year, people could suffer from game fatigue. I've got enough in my back catalogue due to the months of November/December that I am happy for these months just to catch up on stuff. Was good to have TLOU out last week mind, just as a change of pace.
A staggered release schedule all year round would be much better for everyone really, the games would sell better with less competition in the summer months, and the gamers would have new releases to choose from all the time, rather than being bombarded with most of them at the same time when money is perhaps needed for more important things.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I have circumstances where I have no games to play and my game of the year is the summer release. Deus Ex HR, Sleeping Dogs fell into the category. This year I have 15 games in my pile of shame and some more on the way with PS+
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
i really think we should see games spread out more, i hate these quiet months so boring! does give you chance to destroy your pile of shame but still more games need releasing this time of year
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Some lesser titles take advantage of the summer lull as there is not much about so you give them a go like Shadows of the Damned and Sleeping dogs.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
The way I look at t f they were staggered many people wouldn't have a pile of shame.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
i have picked up, and loved, a few games that appeared during the standard summer drought. And I think it's good that some publishers take advantage of it. It's going to be so quiet in fact, that when SR4 releases in August, it'll sell by the tonne just because it's right at the end of boredom from the drought and right at the beginning of excitement for the winter rush! I don't mind the stacks of games at the end of the year, I don't grab them all, and I see the point from a publishers point of view. something for everyone at Christmas!
Shadows of the Damned sold bugger all, but that was all ddown to EA;s (lack of) maketing.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
To be fair, everyone who will have bought SotD will have bought without any marketing. It wasn't a game that would have sold anymore no matter how EA marketed it.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
My point was if it was released in the Christmas run up even less people would of played it and would of been more overlooked.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I was replying to Gloria more than yourself :P
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I play too many games a year for a staggered releases, a new game every 2 weeks sometimes more would be ridiculous
Some people actually want that though, people with more money than sense are out there looking to buy a new game every week.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I like to try and buy a new game every week but now a days I find it to hard to part with money.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
ive missed a whole day of chat because some twat at work fucked the whole network up! nothing gets said though if that was me id be down the job centre!
If that happened I would have even less downtime to work through my backlog, "Summer games drought" is welcome in my book
Did you turn it off then on?
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
no hense why im still stuck at work! but least i know the easy way out!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Hey Shep, YOLO amirite?
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
The summer games drought does annoy me a bit. Can't see why one AAA title can't be released in July/August.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Just out of interest, how would you catagorise a AAA game? SR4, The Bureau and Splinter Cell all release in august?
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
I don't mind this just gives me more time to work trough my games & anime backlog.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
It's good will be able to work through dark souls without distraction
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Even tho drought is good now & then there are usually some really great game sales on in summer so most people will add more to there backlog me included sometimes. But not this month next month has an a lot coming out!
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
been sorting out my ps3 collection last night and today and have 200 games in my collection did not relise i had got that many and a huge back log to get through , so i welcome the summer break just got to clear dead pool the weekend then i will crack on with it
Game wise I only have Project X Zone next month
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Yeah, sent FUSE back today hoping to get Deadpool for the weekend. We shall see.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Nox same but I also have my times & eternity collectors edition too cant wait to play both they look really good fun indeed.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
200 PS3 games? I've only got about 50 sitting in my house just now.
Time & Etenity looks like a trainwreck
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
@Troublemaker, I suppose with SR4 counts as AAA game, I forgot it was out in August. But it isn't a game I plan on getting.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
@ DW like having a nice collection of games a few years worth of buying there only prob is where to put them when ps4 arrives
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Nox really I cant tell if your being serous or not. But its your opinion at the end of the day but to me personally times & eternity looks really beautiful, don't judge it until you play tho.
I'll agree with you that the animation is beautiful but the combat and exploration looks like a chore. If the story is good then I will buy it but until I know I'm not
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Nox I think the exploration looks sweet & the story does interest me. When I get my collectors edition on the 18th next month ill tell you what I think then you can decide to see if you going to support times & eternity.
So does that mean that you will play it when you get it instead of letting it lie for months
Shopto really have a sense of humor "The award-winning Star Trek game casts players for the first time ever as Kirk and Spock in a totally original co-op experience worthy of gamers and fans." ROFL
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
notice how i ignored your comment for 2 hours + JM! knob lol
Star Trek did win an award, 'Worst game of 2013'
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
TLOU survivor difficulty, done. Holy fucking shit was it hard. Need a breather before I start that again for trophies!
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
People seem to forget that Shopto is a shop. Of course they are gonna advertise stuff. We all know Game + Wario will likely suck. But to Shopto it's a big release for the Wii U. And yeah I got it anyways. Was gonna cancel but decided it'd get fun out of raging on it at least
Game & Wario has been getting some OK reviews, should be good for a laugh with some friends.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Yeah It'll be a bit of fun. Not expecting anything from it. Speaking of Game + Wario it had it's Crowdfarter. Any of you guys backed a Kickstarter project yet? I recently backed Hat in Time. Will likely back Armikrog and Soul Saga too.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
@Troublemaker, it feels like an achievement once you accomplish TLOU on Survivor difficulty. Do you still have many trophies left to get? I've been playing TLOU online a lot, grinding away towards platinum. I got Sky Fibre installed today so hopefully my download speeds will be better. Going to see how long it takes to download Demon Souls.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
I would really like to see more games releasing in January and July, since it would be easier to play 1 Big title for 1 month than 2.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
Just to add I saw an article on IGN with Mark Cerny talking about his new game Knack, and he said its about 10 hours long. But they've added new features such as secret rooms for second play through.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
This July is pretty packed to be honest. Project X Zone, Mario + Luigi and Pikmin are all out within weeks of each other. Busy busy busy. Of course if you don't own either of those consoles then yeah...
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
@Spear it is an achievement, no doubt. i've got my Survivor+ play through to do. I'll grab my collectible/convo/joke/ec trophies there too. Honestly, I'll get all but the MP trophies, so no plat for me. I hate the MP in TLOU, it's boring, grindy and those trophies are just plain stupid. The MP is a type tht's kind of niche i think. It's not going to be to everyone's taste and it's certainly not to mine. The same way I love Assassin's Creed MP, but so many people hate it! Oh well. I understand why it's there, and I understand that alot of people like it, but the trophies that are tied to it FORCE me to do more than simply try it. And the same as Tomb Raider MP, I just can't be bothered with it.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
Yeah I understand what you mean. Some people like TLOU MP but a lot of people don't. It does take some getting used to but IMO its ok, but not great. I've already got 1 of the MP trophies, so now I only have 1 more to get, will hopefully get it in the next week or so.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
For anyone interested heres some dragon age inquisition screenshots http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15377-Feast-Your-Eyes-on-the-First-Dragon-Age--Inquisition-Screenshot-[Three-More-Added].html Wonder how they are going to transfer save files over from DA2 if they do it. Same for witcher 3 as they said they are doing it i suppose you could just out them on a usb stick it should be able to read the save file.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Are there not 4 MP trophies Spear? Win a game, 40 clan members, and the 2 "path of......" Trophies? It's the path trophies (168 games required if my math is right) that put me off!
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
Yes you are correct Troublemaker. That was my fault, what I meant was the 2 ''Path of..'' trophies because the other 2 MP trophies are easy to get. Should have been more specific in my earlier post.