Xbox 360 sales hit 8.4 million in UK, overtakes Wii

Nintendo’s Wii console has finally been overtaken in the UK lifetime sales by Microsoft’s Xbox 360.

Stat tracking company Chart Track places sales at over 8.4 million units, and  says that the console is “regularly outselling.”

“This is an historic milestone and our sincere thanks goes to each and every person that has bought and enjoyed Xbox 360 over the past eight years,” said the wonderfully named Director of Xbox and entertainment, Harvey Eagle.

“As you saw at E3 earlier this month, we announced a new Xbox 360 form factor and we are committed to ensuring Xbox 360 remains the best place to play games, connect with friends and enjoy your entertainment. You’ll see great exclusive content coming not only to Xbox 360, but also to Xbox One later this year.”

We are pretty sure that the above sales take into account the multiple consoles which users had to buy after the RROD fiasco, which probably taints this impressive total a little. Still, we'll let the Xbox 360 have it's time in the limelight.

Currently Sony’s PlayStation 2 is still the best selling console in the UK with a grand total of 10 million units sold. Will the Xbox 360 ever overtake this? Or will the PS3 eventaully catch up? It's like one big soap drama that probably not too many people care about, well except those who are benefiting of course.

Interestingly and largely unreported around the internet is that out of Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 based on Worldwide sales, the Xbox 360 actually now sits in last place, with the PS3 being the world's best selling console at this time, although the Wii still holds the record for lifetime total sales at the moment.

Edited On 27 Jun, 2013

Comments
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I bought 4 of those 360s and only 1 Wii... So its a pretty rubbish statistic for MS to be happy about.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 3 years ago
I agree. I had to purchase 5 Xbox 360's so it's a bit of a tainted statistic.
escaflowne2001's avatar
escaflowne2001 3 years ago
It's the same for the PS2 though those things were fragile as well. If you had to buy 5 XB360's your doing something wrong, why weren't you sending them back to Microsoft?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
PS2s were fragile? I didn't know this.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 3 years ago
Over 10 years I've had 5 Xbox 360's, MS done nothing about them breaking. I only had one PS2 and two PS3's. The early 360's were awful that's a proven fact and because of my job I used them a lot, which seemed to result in them breaking through use. Millions had to be replaced by MS.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I only owned 1 PS2 because I look after my hardware.
escaflowne2001's avatar
escaflowne2001 3 years ago
Yeah those damn Disc Read Error's the pop-up silm PS2's were the worst. Google it, it was pretty well known at the time for being a problem.
escaflowne2001's avatar
escaflowne2001 3 years ago
I've only had 2 XB360's and 1 PS3 but I've had about 4 PS2's. Microsoft fixed my second XB360 once which was from the Gears Of War II bundle and I've finished over 300 games on the them.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
They weren't. And what "exclusive content" he was talking about?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
2 PS1's (had the release day one that you had to flip to make laser work) 2xPS2 (killed the first using it as a DVD player 2x PS3s (Just an upgrade to slim, original launch day Phat still working fine) Now, I only owned an360 for 8 months, but everyone I know that owned one before the slim had to have at least 1 replaced/buy replacement after RROD OOW, with 1 friend having to buy 3! Pretty bloated statistic if you ask me.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I only had 2 PS2s and 2 PS3s. And that was only to upgrade them to the slim versions. I didn't know there was any problems with PS2s, and none of my mates ever had a problem with them either.
I lost track of how many 360's I went through, at least 6 I think, I went through 3 in the first 6 months after launch.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Wasn't that disc read error fixed by turning it upside down? Any console with a flip lid is asking for trouble anyway. Marmite fingers on the read lens, scratching the disk on the spindle.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I remember we went to a mates, and a Sony Fanboy was like 'Whats that!?' taking the piss out of his 360. He pressed the power button to turn it on and boom, red rings popped up. Never saw someone panic so much.
escaflowne2001's avatar
escaflowne2001 3 years ago
Flip lids were cool in there time though helped to play import titles on the PS1, PS2 and DC using the Action replay disc. Good times. Starting next-gen though the two big next-gen consoles are region free for the first time never thought that would happen. Even if MS was forced into it doesn't matter.
ASC's avatar
ASC 3 years ago
I think I had to replace my PS2 once - under warranty 6 months after release -and the second one still works to this day. The 360 was initially built with an expected lifespan of 18 months when used regularly. Maybe it is a little petty but seeing every friend I knew with the 360 have to replace it at least once within 2 years of getting it left me with very little confidence in the system
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
PS3 is region free is it not?
escaflowne2001's avatar
escaflowne2001 3 years ago
Yes but the XB360 was only about 60% region free so this is the first time BOTH consoles are completely region free (disc wise).
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Damn all your people saying you had to buy 5/6 360's are either really unlucky or you don't take care of your hardware, My 360 only broke once which was repaired free of charge by MS, I also bought more 360's but that's because I wanted the new ones not because they broke, I bought Original 360, 360 Elite, 360 Slim and 360 Slim Gears 3 edition and only had a problem with the original one.
ASC's avatar
ASC 3 years ago
Its not a case of taking care of the hardware when it comes to 360's. At least the ones made within the first couple of years, if you ran it for an hour or 2 for on most days 8/10 died within the 2 years. Maybe you got lucky, and the manufacturing quality also rose after those first 2 years, but plenty of people got burned by 360's dying just after their warranties ended
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I take care of all my hardware, 360 and PS3 are the only consoles I have had to buy more than one of. PS3 was by choice of getting rid of the fatty for a slim, as was the 4th xbox.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
But I don't see how you guys had like 5 broken 360's like you said, after the original ones, they got better and I've not heard of any problems with the slims, so did you just keep replacing them for the same one? If you got an elite you should of been alright, and I played my 360 for many hours a day with no problems, though from what I understand every console can be different. I know they had a lot of trouble with their hardware and like I said, one of mine did break, but I can't understand how people have had 5 or more of them break on them
ASC's avatar
ASC 3 years ago
I know some of the early dead 360's were related to heat damage, run the machine for several hours non-stop (as some people did) and their internal temp would potentially be way too high. Eventually something warps in the heat and its red rings.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
My first was a premium, with the built in HD-DVD drive, replaced with a Core console keeping the HDD. Then got the CoDMW2 Super Elite as it was on special offer at the time. Then grabbed a 4GB slim and a 320GB HDD last year as it worked out cheaper than buying a 320GB xbox by about £100.
Whitey, I'll tell you how people went through so many 360's in the first couple of years, because when MS replaced the broken ones they replaced them with other early models that were also faulty so also broke. How else would I be on my third within 6 months?
dan_man_can_man's avatar
dan_man_can_man 3 years ago
I have only had 1 360 (i didn't get one till the slim) but i've had 3 PS3's (my original fat had the yellow light thing, my second had a loose fan (?) and i now have a slim) they were all replaced by sony for free so i only brought one. my original PS2 works fine still. :-)
Mugiwara's avatar
Mugiwara 3 years ago
It does not help the fact the Wii U is backwards compatible so it makes the Wii completely useless
The Wii can play Gamecube games
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
The high failure rate (Even with the extended warranty) of the 360 absolutely contributes to a large amount of that figure, but then so does the fact the 360 was the cheapest HD console you can buy from the off. Here in the UK at least a cheaper console is a big selling point... which obviously doesn't bode well for XBone when it comes out here.
Mugiwara's avatar
Mugiwara 3 years ago
Yeah that's a good idea, lets buy a Wii to play gamecube games . . . . . OR buy a Gamecube from Ebay for 1/6th of the price >.>
Kind of a delayed response don't ya think. Anyhoo that's not what I meant
Mugiwara's avatar
Mugiwara 3 years ago
My bad, i don't spend every minute on ShopTo's social section.