Xbox LIVE Gold 'free game' offer may be extended

Microsoft's Major Nelson has said that the company may extend it's free game offer for Xbox LIVE Gold if the program is well received.

“Anything is possible,” he said, speaking in response to a question on a Reddit thread, as well as answering various other questions regarding the service.

In a bid to mirror PlayStation Plus Microsoft is offering users two free games a month, starting with Defence Grid as the first free game for the month of July.

However it seems that Nelson has found himself apologising for the first free game already due to a disappointed public expecting games of the calibre of Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed II.

“Sorry about the disappointment. Not sure how people started to assume that H3 and AC2 were coming in July. I thought it was pretty clear in the briefing, but I guess not that clear” Hyrb said.

“I don’t work in marketing, but I am going to make them aware of this thread.”

Edited On 02 Jul, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
So much damage control! It must be hell to work at MS at the moment.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
The program will only be well received if they make it worth our while, PS+ is successful because it is entirely optional and they offer stuff worth having. Gold is mandatory for playing online and I doubt there are xbox owners who haven't got or at least played Halo 3 or AC2 unless they have no interest in the games and will therefore, like me, not download them anyway.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
Would be nice if they release something worth playing.... or that hasn't been already played
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
Mind you defence grid is like £6 and Halo 3 is about £3-4 so I guess we're getting a better deal?
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
They seem to go from one disaster to another at the moment the real need to fire there PR department.
O\\\'stead's avatar
O\\\'stead 3 years ago
Well I went to look for first game to download it wasn't even defence grid was game called Spartacus
Next game will be Crackdown and Kameo(Maybe)
Meh, don't see any reason to renew my Live subscription come September.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I would actually be interested in those nox, as Crackdown is blast and Kameo slipped me by.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
Already cancelled my renewal to Live, i'll buy it monthly should I fancy playing online for anything
Whitey 3 years ago
I wouldn't actually mind Crackdown as it's a great game that I don't have any more, but surely MS can offer better, more recent games.
ROFL. You serious? ['_'?]
Whitey 3 years ago
Which part was funny? not sure if trolling.
Tolling.
Whitey 3 years ago
Nox I feel like we need to agree on at least one game, games that I think are good, you think are bad, and games that you think are good, I think are bad :/ Hmm can we at least agree that Gears of War is the best series on Xbox? :D
What are the choices?
Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Gears of War 3 & Gears of War Judgement lol :P
I mean out of the Series I can pick from (Not played a Xbox exclusive besides Halo 4 in so long)
Whitey 3 years ago
Meh well Halo is terrible game so not including it. Gears of War, Forza, erm Don't know any more Xbox exclusive series to be honest haha. Most of the good exclusives (Dead Rising, Saints Row, Mass Effect, Crackdown) became multi-plats.
Isn't Crackdown an exclusive? Tbh if i'm going on Quality I would have to say Halo but if it's my favorite it would have to be Fable (Shows you how lacking the 360 is)
Whitey 3 years ago
Oh yeah Crackdown 2 is exclusive too, I thought it was on PS3, and I actually forgot about Fable, didn't play the original or 2 but 3 was good.
ROFL. Fable 3 is crap compared to Fable 1 & 2
Whitey 3 years ago
But to be fair, PS3 exclusives are not that much better off, all they really have that interest me is Uncharted, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, LBP is a bit of fun for a while, and Infamous, maybe God of War at a push. ”
Yakuza, Demon's Souls, MGS4, Sly, Ratchet & Clank, Journey
Whitey 3 years ago
Japan, Elder Scrolls, huh blink! keep it, cartoon, cartoon, wtf?
What's wrong with Demon's Souls, Sly and Ratchet? & don't you dare talk about Journey like that
Whitey 3 years ago
In fairness I haven't played Demon's Souls, but there are other RPG's out there that grab my attention more so I don't mind missing it. Sly & Rachet are ok for a bit of family fun but not what I come to gaming for and Journey is just meh, I watched the VGA's and every time they won an award I just face palmed, there were so much better games in every category that the Journey was in, what's so good about little red riding hood jumping around the desert?
What does it matter if Yakuza is a Japanese game? Demon's Souls is nothing like The Elder Scrolls. I don't know what you mean by "huh blink! keep it". Just cos Sly and Ratchet a cel-shaded doesn't mean you should write them off
You can't comment on Journey if you haven't played it and I keep on saying that I wouldn't class the Souls games as RPG's
I want to know, what were you playing before the 6th generation?
Whitey 3 years ago
True, but going on what I've seen, I wouldn't play Journey if it were free, and Demon's Souls comes under the action role-playing genre so it's pretty close, plus it just looks too much of an "Eastern/Asian" game for my liking.
Whitey 3 years ago
PC, Xbox, PS2, PS1, Gamecube, Dreamcast, N64 and probably some other stuff I don't remember, if you mean specific games then I can't really remember any.
What's wrong with being a Japanese game?
Whitey 3 years ago
Nothing wrong with Japanese games, in fact I love Final Fantasy, but the art style and the way the games play is not really my cup of tea, most of them are over the top silly with "Japanese humour" that I don't find funny at all, just the same as I don't like most American TV show's, everyone has their own taste.
Whitey 3 years ago
LOL David why do you randomly come in and insult Nox? You keep bringing up that "Dreamcast 3" thing.
I have a feeling David and Whitey are the same person, but neither of them know it.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Whitey just has different tastes from everyone it seems. He does write off some of the best games in existence(MGS ffs, Ratchet), but if he doesn't like them, it's his prerogative. I haven't played Journey as I doubt i'll enjoy it either.
Whitey 3 years ago
I wouldn't class MGS as one of the best games in existence, the old substance was ok at best, but splinter cell does everything MGS does but better, and that MGS5 trailer :| like I'm stealth riding a horse right past someone with my leg and arm hanging over on show and the guy doesn't even think to look over there! what the hell kind of "stealth" is that? and Ratchet was good in the old days when games were different and I used to enjoy playing games like Crash Bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie, Spyro the Dragon and the likes, but games are different and have moved on now. Gloria me and David are best pals :D
Games haven't moved on Whitey, you have.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
There are still games out there like Crash Bandicoot etc, you just have to look for them. For instance Knack which is coming out on PS4, companies are still making these sorts of games.
Whitey 3 years ago
That's what I meant, but I do think games have moved on a lot since back in the day too. Games used to be about just having a bit of fun in your spare time to have a laugh with family and friends, but now gaming is all about immersive story telling cinematic experiences and microtransactions.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Substance(I'm just going to go with the original MGS) being called ok is just no. Splinter Cell does everything MGS does but it doesn't. Splinter Cell has no story, doesn't have a better main character, doesn't have better boss battles and just has darker rooms. The horse part on the trailer is a bit of a meh, but enemies not being able to see for that far is common as hell in video games. Games haven't moved on, they're still as good as they have ever been. You just are of the opinion that you are too old for them, which couldn't be further from the truth with a game like Ratchet.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Actually, just realised Substance is a remake of MGS2 lol. It's the worst game in the series and it still is better than a lot out there. MGS/MGS3 are the best of the series.
I thought the same about Journey and Flower but they are the kind of games you have to play to understand, not many games make you put down the controller and just say "Wow" or (I know it sounds cheesy) fill you with happiness. Demon's Souls is like a cross between The Witcher and Fable, go read my Dark Souls review Whitey and tell me what you think
There is a MGS3 Substance as well Whyte
Whitey 3 years ago
Is Dark Souls a sequel to Demon's Souls?
This reminds me of one of my favourite sayings '"What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes" it has served me well in life, you've got to keep the child inside alive, or you turn in to a right boring c*nt.
Spiritual Sequel
Whitey 3 years ago
It might be just me, but watching the gameplay videos, I can't help but notice it kind of looks stiff and sluggish. It probably is a good game once it gets going but I can't really see myself getting into it, but saying that I have passed quickly on games before but later got to love them, Fallout new Vegas being one example. I first bought that, did a couple missions then gave up and sold the game, I then bought it again later on sale and really enjoyed it.
I would recommend you at least rent it (Or pick it up on Steam when it's 75% off)
Whitey 3 years ago
I heard it's pretty bad on PC though, or at least the controls are.
It was made with a controller in mind and it only got put onto the PC cos of the petition
Downside is that the player base on PC isn't that big
Whitey 3 years ago
It's only single player though right? so player base shouldn't matter much.
& if you got it on console I would be able to invade and kick you off cliffs
No Co-Op and PVP