Iwata discusses third parties on Wii U

Nintendo Boss Satoru Iwata has said that "there are more key titles to be announced by [third party developers]" for the Wii U.

Speaking during an investors meeting, Iwata talked about third parties and how "the time will come when some third-party games for Wii U and for other platforms are released at the same time this year."

As is probably obvious to most, Iwata said that if consumers' interest in the Wii U's unique features increases, third party publishers will take notice and realise the console's potential. "Even if these publishers did not have any concrete plans to develop Wii U software, they will swiftly change their minds when they see the successful examples from others."

So what does all this mean? Well it's simple really, Wii U needs more sales and if it gets them then unique third party exclusives will follow. The only problem is that to get more sales the Wii U needs more unique games.

It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo turns things around, don't you think?

Edited On 08 Jul, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Sounds an awful lot like he's grasping at straws. The WiiU would have to show more than just a little better sales. For third party developers and publishers to want to spend money on building for another architecture, one third party would need to prove it's worth it by not only risking the money to make the game, but make it sell well. It didn't really sting the pockets of publishers to not sell for the Wii, despite it having such a massive install base. Publishers know where their bread is buttered and the WiiU just isn't a viable market for any of them at the moment.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
The issue is that the big selling games these days are 70% multiplayer and 15% story, the other 15% is sugar to make the turd look more like a donut.
Not really bothered by lack of third party support really, not now the first party titles have started rolling out.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
I love Nintendo not got hardly anything bad to say about them, my younger years I always had a Gameboy of the latest model in my pocket everywhere I went, which is why I think they should just stick to the handhelds, its what they are the best at, im not slating the Wii U I like the look of it but I like the look of the XBO and PS4 more, that's just my opinion im not slating at all before it kicks of lol
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Fine if you're all gonna be so nice I'll throw the first stone: Ubisoft make better games than Nintendo.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
take it your having a slow boring Monday morning johno lol
Don't make me laugh Johno.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
I was expecting a worse response than that lol
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
It's because she doesn't have the facts to argue back properly.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
u really want her to bite don't you haha! she will throw something back! I know shes hates ubisoft but they really impressed me at E3, watch dogs looks amazing, the division was game of the show for me for potential anyway! and even the crew looked good and im not a big racing game fan! even AC IV BF looked pretty good, still yet to play 3 and I brought it 3 weeks ago lol! should really hit that!
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
I agree Shep Ubisoft impressed me too at E3, Watchdogs did look great. Not really fussed on AC IV BF though, Division looks like Ubisoft's next big game after Watchdogs (by big game I mean the one they're going to advertise/give most attention to)
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Not gonna lie, I lost interest in AC games after Revelations, but Black Flag at E3 looked pretty cool minus the freezing.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
exactly JM the last 2 were a grind to play they kept the Ezio story going to long, so I didn't even buy 3 until the other week when it was 15 quid and I couldn't say no!
Sorry Johno, not biting. Ubisoft make some OK games, but as a company they suck big time.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Damnit, I miss David
I thought you were David ;)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
They seem to come unstuck in these third-party discussions. They always seem to want to say that it will come in future, but have no back-up plan when people ask about it. At E3 they basically told the people to go ask the publishers about it. They should stick to first-party games, and a console run on first party games alone won't be succesful.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Where is the rest of the interview where Iwata pointed out how certain companies did lazy ports and expected the sheeple to just buy it?
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I don't know how I would feel if Ninty went all Sega and just made software... They'd make a lot of sales but half of the fun of most of their games is utilising the 'innovative' controllers in some fashion.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
He said nothing like that Robi lol. He basically said that they couldn't enjoy brisk sales as they were ported from other platforms. Basically saying they had competition so lost out.