Miyamoto: New characters don't make new games

Shigeru Miyamoto has said that there are people within Nintendo who would like to create new IP's, however it seems that his own personal philosophy when creating new experiences is to use the characters that Nintendo has already got.

“Certainly within Nintendo, we have people internally who are saying, ‘Well, we have our old characters from our old games, and that’s old IP, and we should think about creating new IP.’ But the question that we always ask is: ‘Does a new character really make it a new game?’” he told Game Informer.

“And to me, the answer to that is no. What makes it a new game is new gameplay and new interactions. So when we’re creating a game, we’re always looking at it from, ‘What is the gameplay, and how are making that gameplay new?’ And then, ‘Who is the character that is best suited to that gameplay?’”

Characters are secondary to the experience according to Miyamoto, so if the company comes up with a new idea it'll first try to fit an existing character into this and if that doesn't work it'll create a new one.

Is Miyamoto living in the past too much? Would you like to see Nintendo create new IP with new characters?

Edited On 09 Jul, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
But a fresh new character is always welcomed in my book. OK, it's a risk, putting a lot of money on the table for a new IP, but if Ninty announced a new IP, the fans would go bat shit crazy and it would sell by the tonne!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Fresh IP with fresh characters, last time they tried that Starfox Adventures happened.
I don't think new characters would make a great deal of difference, like he says it's the gameplay that matters. They have stacks of old unused IPs that are just crying out for a new instalment, I'd rather see some of them come back than anything new really.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Gameplay is important, no doubt. but they need to do something to quell the tidal wave of peole (myself included) going "STOP SELLING ME MARIO AND ZELDA GAMES!"
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
So basically they make gameplay then shoehorn Mario in.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
star fox was mint!
I can perhaps see the point about Mario, although he is a versatile character who works well across a large amount of genres, but Zelda TM. Do we really get that many Zelda games as to be complaining there's too many?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
No, OK, I'll admit, We've only had 3, but they are permanently on re-release!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Yes there are a lot of Zelda games, although most of them are Ocarina of Time.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Zelda is a weird one as they keep going back and redoing old ones it comes across a bit lazy. To be fair I think most people would be happy with just one new IP from Nintendo to show they are trying.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
would take a new Zelda any day but yes they are all re releases to be fair, I think this is why ninty struggle, take a chance, it flops you stick to your ways, it works its a victory at the end of the day
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Problem is that they have a character for every genre, Link for hack and slash, Samus for FPS, Mario for Platform, Luigi for Survival Horror.
I agree New Characters don't make New IP but lately they have been making too much Mario games (Make me a new console Paper Mario and all is forgiven). The Zelda games I would like to see re-made are Majora's Mask (Who knew) & Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
New Ips from Nintendo are needed. Which is why Dillons Rolling Western, nintendoland, pushmo, xenoblade, elite beat agents, starfy etc all exist. Even the Wii series are new Ips. But nope, people ignore these or say they don't count which is why they don't sell and ninty goes back to Mario
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Nintendoland sold quite well, in terms of Nintendoland per console....And I've never heard of most of those games, so it's not great from Nintendos advertising department when I could name all Marios games off the top of my head.
I always thought Xenoblade was part of the Xeno series
I don't think Nintendo made Starfy did they?
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I wouldnt call Nintendo Land a new IP it was a bunch of mini games with old nintendo games or characters. Pushmo was a downloadable game the equivalent of a xbla game. Did Dillions Rolling Western come out over her cause cant say I have ever heard of it or seen it. Xenoblade is the only one I have seen pushed at all over here.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Even if it did come out over here, it does sound awful.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Dillon was released over here yes. As was the sequel quite recently. It's gained favourable reviews. Still a new IP. As is Pushmo/Crashmo. Like it or not. Nintendoland counts as a new IP since the Sony fans insist that All-Star Battle Royale is a new IP. Which it isn't. It's arguable if it is or isn't but yeah Nintendo own Starfy but another team (the ones who done the Game + Watch titles) developed it. Steel Diver is another recent one. As is Denpa Men, Harmoknight, Last Window, DISASTER: DAY OF CRISIS, Chibi-Robo and a few others. Could argue that the mini games found on the 3DS like the Face-Raiders and the haunted mansion, shooting, gardening, war etc ones are new IPs too. None of them did well because surprise surprise. They were new IPs and people wanted the old characters back. I do agree Mario is overdone. To an extent however. Because he basically umbrellas a bunch of other titles. Mario + Luigi RPG is different to Tennis is different to 3D mario is different to Mario Kart. How about we complain about other companies using Generic Looking Dude. They can rename him Drake or Joel or Ryan Giggs or Commander Biff or whatever.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
All-Star Battle Royale is completely different to Nintendoland.....And comparing Drake and Joel because they are animated from the same company, ok, clutch at straws to defend Nintendo/jump on Sony.
Battle Royale is a new IP
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
They are generic action dudes still. My point is that you can have the exact same game and rename them as you wish but if it's still the same game it's no different. And how so? They are a bunch of characters from different games in a new fighting. Nintendoland is a bunch of new mini games based on Nintendo series. So as far as I'm concerned both are new IPs. If you can't say one is, the other isn't either.
Wait, what is the exact same game with a different name?
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Well I was meaning the likes of COD/Battlefield where they basically look and pretty much play exactly like each other, yet are classed as different games. Or the amount of God of War Clones that don't do anything different to God of War except swap the characters and locations. Like Dante's Inferno (playing off memory here) You could take Mario, replace Luigi with a blue character and Mario turned Pink. Add beards to them, replace the vibrant colours with brown and grey and powerups are now Cookies, Beer and Crisps. It's now called Baz Bros and the quest is to save their third brother Spaz from Godzilla Is this not clearly a reskinned Mario with a new character? Or is it a new IP? Because really it's not the latter. Yet we see it time and time again in the games industry
I want to play Baz Bros now.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Laughable straw clutching indeed :D , but there is a real point to be made here about just how creatively bankrupt and frightenedof new ideas Nintendo have become in recent years. They did occasionally produce the occasional new title on the Wii like Disaster and Xenoblade(The only in-house developed new IPs from them this gen I can recall), but when you look at how they treated those games once they were ready to go it tells you all you need to know. Zero marketing for either one, Disaster didn't even get released in the US and Nintendo had to practically be forced by fan backlash and internet campaigns to even release Xenoblade outside Japan. Meanwhile they're churning out a seemingly endless supply of cheap to produce 2D platformers with every mascot they can milk the nostalgia out of a little more (Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, etc, etc)... Christ, even the 3D platformers look like 2D efforts now judging by Mario Wii U looking like such a massive step back from Galaxy. So yeah Shigsy, while new characters don't make new games it seems old characters don't make money like they used to either if Nintendo's dramatic drop off in popularity the past few years is any indicator.
All I care about is Zelda anyway, everything else is a bonus
I vote kevin should be the new David.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Kevin is literate, so I'm still voting Nox
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
hahahaha! ill vote nox as well since he voted me so quickly! or maybe he can team up with kevin and make it a shared responsibility!
I'm up for it
kevin may be more literate, he's just as big a dick head though.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
But Gloria you have the biggest dick of all of us
Biggest balls maybe.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"“ kevin may be more literate, he's just as big a dick head though. ”" - Class act as ever.
You two love each other. Admit it
He loves me, he's been stalking me on Facebook.