Battlefield 4 will use Kinect One

Battlefield 4 will support Xbox One’s Kinect sensor, DICE has confirmed.

In an interview in the latest issue of GameInformer [via], DICE’s general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson said, “We have a pretty pragmatic view [on the new Kinect]. Instead of just trying to tick all the boxes of features you can do with new hardware, we look at what actually adds value [for] our players.

“When you look at the kind of games that we build – or Battlefield at least – it is a first-person shooter that is very much about skill. Input is really important. You need to have very precise control over what’s going on, and trying to do something like that with motion control input does not make sense – not if you want to keep the same kind of formula of the game as we [have] now. You’d need to build a different kind of shooter.

“But there are other places where it will make sense, and we are going to use it for other things in the game, but we haven’t announced exactly what.”

Are you looking forward to seeing what DICE has in mind for Kinect, or are you indifferent?

Edited On 10 Jul, 2013

Comments
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Wait, so what are we calling the current Kinect if the new one is the Kinect one?
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 3 years ago
Kinect 0
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Shit!
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Not really a fan of Kinect to be honest, I don't see what the problem is with just doing stuff in a menu instead of talking to my console. Are they actually calling it Kinect One? I thought it was meant to be Kinect 2.0
The Kinect Beta
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Pretty sure Kinect and Smartglass are now mandated features for Xbone games so this was inevitable. Funny though, weren't DICE the ones saying a couple of years ago that stuff like Kinect 'didn't make sense' for Battlefield, and that's why BF3 didn't use it?
EA
rkeveratt's avatar
rkeveratt 3 years ago
Wonder if PS4 will receive this treatment with the new Playstation camera
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
My guess is that it will be optional on the PS4. You know, because the PSEye4 is optional :D
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I'm almost certain I heard somewhere that M$ are wanting Kinect integration in every game, like Sony are after Cross play with everything. As for Smartglass, I don't even see the point of it, all the things I've seen on it have basically been sorting out your inventory, can't I just do that in game?
atari001's avatar
atari001 3 years ago
I hope they can make good use of it. I doubt Microsoft are wanting integration with every game. Wherever you heard that is obviously a rumour mill. It wouldn't be possible with every game. The current BF3 has awful keymapping on the 360, for example it is too easy to lie down by accident. There are too many control functions and it confuses because you cannot remap yo how you'd like it (360 version). I hope EA can integrate Kinext into the game, i for one am not blinkered into thinking the Kinect is a waste of time. I see its potential.
atari001's avatar