Rate the Rumour: Nintendo set to acquire Atlus?

It's being claimed that Nintendo could be one of the companies lining up for publisher Atlus as its parent company gets set to offload it from its books.

Sources at the International Digital Times suggests that the close relationship between Atlus and Nintendo makes the Japanese giant the company most likely to bid.

“The single most likely bidder for Atlus in the Atlus bankruptcy case is Nintendo. As a matter of fact, I’d like to suggest that a Nintendo-led acquisition of Atlus may actually have been in the works for some time.

“That’s because Nintendo has been working unusually closely with Atlus lately, treating them practically like an in-house studio. That may be because Atlus is about to become one.”

What do you think?

Rate the Rumour

Here's our scale:

1 - No Chance
2 - Unlikely
3 - Hard to Tell
4 - Possibly
5 - Definitely

Edited On 22 Jul, 2013

Comments
The Bentley's avatar
The Bentley 3 years ago
No no no no no no no and no! I want to see more Persona games come out on PSVita / PS3 or 4! If Nintendo acquire Atlus, that will never ever happen again dammit!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I heard Sony wanted them
Hahahaha. While part of me would hate this to happen, part of me wants it to happen. 4
Not bothered personally, but if it does I will laugh at all the broken hearted PS fanboys.
Funny thing is that the Shin Megami Series (Mainline) has always been on Nintendo Consoles bar Lucifer's Call (PS2), it's the Spin-off Series Persona that has only been on Sony consoles
escaflowne2001's avatar
escaflowne2001 3 years ago
Digital Devil Saga was on the PS2 as well. Hopefully this won't happen I'm hoping someone like Nippon Ichi, Tecmo Koei will do the honors. Maybe from the left field, From Software looking to expand into the west. There my hopes. Someone like Sony or Nintendo will end up ruining them IMO.
Don't think the Devil Saga games are Mainline
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Gloria - will you laugh at the nintendo ones if it does go to sony ;) ?
Tbh I don't think Nintendo will get them cos Persona is a big seller for Sony & Sony won't cos Megaten X FE. My money is on Square
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Could Square afford it?
escaflowne2001's avatar
escaflowne2001 3 years ago
Nah, Namco Bandai could though I think there a likely candidate. They already own quite a few studios and IPs. I could see them being interested in Atlus.
Forgot about Namco but I still go with Square, that way they will have the big 3 under their hood. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Megaten
Nathaniel 3 years ago
I hope Nintendo doesn't get it! Persona 5 WiiU exclusive.
I think I heard a rumor a while back about P1 & P2,IS & EP coming to the 3DS. You never know
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
I think this is a 4. Atlus parent company owe Nintendo money, and Nintendo have been pushing/publishing some of their recent titles. And would help drive Wii U sales in Japan.
Nathaniel 3 years ago
It would be the final nail in PS Vita's coffin if Nintendo did get it though.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I cant see square buying them dont think they have much money left after buying Taito and Eidos.
You never know , they had enough money to make FF14 twice and to have FF VS 13 (Now FF15) in development for nearly the whole console cycle
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I wouldnt say they had money to make those games seeing as there loss of last year was $138m
Glennb's avatar
Glennb 3 years ago
Do it! Dark souls 2 for wii u and 3d dott heroes hell yeah!
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Would be the worst possible outcome for everyone. Thankfully it's also very unlikely as I don't see how Nintendo would justify such a massive amount of expenditure to it's shareholders to purchase a company whose titles pull in such moderate sales on their consoles... especially not at a time when the head of Nintendo's very job is hinging on minimising their losses this year.
What are you talking about? Dark Souls 2 has nothing to do with Atlus
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
I am getting a 3DS for Pokemon X and Y, but I ain't getting a Wii U for Persona 5, so hopefully Sony will buy Atlus. Also some of Atlus games is to adult for Nintendo system.
"Too Adult for a Nintendo System"? Two Words: Madworld
tmsmyth4's avatar
tmsmyth4 3 years ago
Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP and Namco Bandai own Dark Souls. This wont affect those IP. If this means more investment into a P5 Wii U release then great, Ive been looking for reasons to buy a Wii U
The too adult for Nintendo thing always makes me laugh, with games like RE4 and House of the Dead Overkill debuting on Nintendo systems.
Worth it to mention one of my personal favorite games: Eternal Darkness. Definitely not for kids
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Worth noting those "adult" games you guys are listing were all flops, so there IS some grounds for the argument about games with more violence and "adult" themes not having much of an audience on Nintendo consoles. For a recent example even take a look at Resi Revelations on 3DS: sold well below expectations and ended up being ported out the ass within a year to other consoles.
Resident Evil 0
Ported within a year? Do they have 16 month long years in that weird alternate reality you live in kevin?
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
It really all depends on how much each company want them. I think if it came down to it Sony would just lose against Nintendo in a bidding war since they don't have nearly as many funds as Nintendo. If Sony DID get it and didn't want SMTxFE to happen they would likely have to shell out a ton of money in order to buy out that contract, unless they don't mind letting Atlus work on a Wii U exclusive.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
I really hope Square don't get Atlus tho. Not as bad as Microsoft but the way they have been handling some of their properties. I really don't want to see Atlus dissassembled and then sent off to die on Final Fantasy
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
RE4 a flop? Really?
Only in the alternate reality that kevin lives in.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Resi 4 sold 1.69 units on the Cube. Sold 2.15 units on the Wii and 3.62 units on the PS2. Granted we don't know what Capcom's terms are for flop but I'm sure it sold nicely enough for them to turn a profit. Back then you didn't have to sell 5 million + units for a game to be successful.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Those figures from VGChartz by any chance? Yeah, anyway... the very fact the game was ported to PS2 after the noise Mikami was making about keeping it GC exclusive at the time really says it all there. As to the Revelations post above, I meant to type it was 'announced' it was being ported out the ass within a year there.
Robichoico's avatar