Xbox One to allow self-publishing

Microsoft has confirmed that it will allow indie developers to self-publish their titles on the Xbox One and in even better news for smaller devs, every Xbox One retail unit will double as a dev kit.

The latter part of this news is quite significant as dev kits generally cost a lot of cash to get hold of. By allowing retail kits to become developer friendly, this should see a lot more developers get on board.

Mark Whitten had this to say in a statement accompanying the news, “Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We’ll have more details on the program and the timeline at gamescom in August.”

Edited On 25 Jul, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Cool. I wonder how many regular owners will activate the dev kit and start playing? Sugar Sugar Kinect anyone?
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
So they have done a 180 on all there policys now? Not really much to difference between the 2 machines now mainly just the games.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
The "every console is a dev kit" could either go really really well, or really really badly. I'm looking forward to seeing which way it falls!
And the price of course, although I have been hearing rumours of a separate kinectless Xbone being launched sometime next year.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
I read last night that MS killed the rumour. Makes sense. If your machine requires kinect to switch on, why release a version without? We shall see I guess
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
That would be genius sell a console without kinect then it wont turn on so you have to go out and buy kinect! I would be more interested in the xbox one if it didnt come with kinect think I will wait for a price drop before I purchase one.
Apnomis's avatar
Apnomis 3 years ago
Is it me or is every announcement about the Xbox One lately just them making a U-turn on a previously announced policy or feature in a desperate attempt to make up ground on the PS4? It seems to me Sony have got it bang on with the PS4 and Microsoft are running to catch up to avoid ending up back in last place (and I'm talking original Xbox last place, not Xbox 360 last place!). As for the development kit aspect, interesting idea but we'll see how it plays out - I still reckon there will be some expensive peripheral required to covert it to a dev kit...
They may have killed the rumour, but I can still see it happening sooner or later, it has an on/off button, doesn't it, and a small tweak to the software and kinect is no longer necessary.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
True enough, but with MS' weird attachment to the kinect, I can't ever see it happening. They have too many eggs in that particular basket.
All depends on sales really, if sales aren't as strong as they expect they may go for it just for the extra cash, too early to tell right now.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Absolutely. Problem as I see it is the exact thing that MS are banking on. Current general public xbox users (not you or me or others that see all the background shit) just upgrading to the one will mean, at least to start with, Xbox will kick arse in sales I reckon.
We'll see, I don't see either of them breaking any sales records in this economic climate though.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
People will always spend the money. Especially at christmas time. It's how Apple are so successful. Advertising bombardment and the ability t convince lesser, shepp like minds, that you need the upgrade!
swiftjay's avatar
swiftjay 3 years ago
That's a great thing but if they still won't allow dev's to publish games for more then £10 unless they're part of a big company it won't really mean anything. Sony allow self publishing and allow dev's to set game prices however they wish.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Self publishing was never the real issue as there were ways around it, it's the fact that they treated indy devs like dirt.
& now they have realized that Indie games are becoming more and more important
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
News sonds like MS can't make enough Xbones for november launch and decided to ship devkits too :)
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
Wouldn't this means less Xbox One ad Launch, since Indies buy them to devolve on them and cause the sales of Xbox One to look better than they actually is?
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
That way Xbone will only be hacked faster, imo.