Microsoft: Xbox One won't release without camera

If you scour the internet much like we do, then you may have noticed a rather ridiculous rumour suggesting that Microsoft could be set to release an version of Xbox One without Kinect.

We try not to post rumours here unless it's part of our 'Rate the Rumour' feature and even then the rumour would have so have some legs, so in this case we looked over it completely.

Anyway, it seems that Microsoft has poured cold water over any suggestion that it'd ever release Xbox One without Kinect, “We have no plans to introduce an Xbox One without Kinect,” reads a new statement. “We believe in Kinect and the value it brings to both games and entertainment, and believe $499 is a great value for what consumers receive with their Xbox One.”

So there we go, even if you were hoping that Xbox One would release without the camera, it seems you're out of luck.

Edited On 25 Jul, 2013

Comments
I still think it'll happen eventually, not like MS haven't done a U turn before.
I don't think it will
leders's avatar
leders 3 years ago
It would have been great to have the choice, which is what Sony have done with the ps4. Add the Eye and the controllers required to that, and the price's would match pretty well. For me, coming with Kinect is great, my daughter loved Kinect Animals, and Kinect sports was always a good laugh. I hope the tech has improved and will be better used this time round
The tech will be better, in case you didn't notice the 360 Kinect was a beta test
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
Nice try MS employee, nobody liked Kinectimals
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
I was never the biggest fan of Kinect first time around but I just don't think developers ever used it to it's potential. At least now with there being a Kinect with all consoles sold developers should start making more use of it and to be honest some of the things developers have told us about how it's being used in Dead Rising 3 for example sound pretty good and even though I'm picking up a PS4 aswell but I'm more excited for Xbox One, it seems Microsoft actually want to do something "different" and not just go down the same boring old road.
GrumpyGazz's avatar
GrumpyGazz 3 years ago
“We have no plans to introduce an Xbox One without Kinect,” I remember a statement saying always on and DRM is set in stone. Who can predict what Microsoft will say next, or which feature will be added or removed by what seems a random draw from a hat.
Mark 3 years ago
Microsofts insistance on making kinect mandatory is one of the reasons I'll skip the XB1. I don't like to have the camera on me at all times and I don't like paying for something I don't want to use. I don't think Kinect adds anything to gaming and I'm quite happy chilling out on my sofa with a controller playing games. Yes I know thats not original but its why I started playing games. I also think that Microsoft have very poor first party support now and I don't care much for their 3rd party support. Sony's PS4 looks far better than the XB1 and the less said about the WiiU the better.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
Microsoft have done a 180 on every bad Policy, so waiting for news on Xbox One without Kinect
I tranceforma I's avatar
I tranceforma I 3 years ago
As much as I'm not sold on Kinect (bought and sold it on 360 cos it was garbage) I do genuinely think Kinect on the One will bring a 'new experience'.
airdam's avatar
airdam 3 years ago
Totally agree with Mark. I dont even know where my kinect is. The missus doesnt want that plonked in front of the tv and i would have to agree. Also i dont think the average british home has the room to use this affectively. I have always preffered xbox over ps but i think i will be switching by the end of the year!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
They should have just let Sony announce the ps4 then just copied it. The way they go with so many uturns to suit the complaints they would have saved a lot of time.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Kinect on Xbox 360 was not that great because it was a add on, and the devs didn't want to waste time on it when not everyone had one. Doing it this way should mean that there would be better use of the Kinect system for xbox ONE. Even with the PS4 and its eye not being bundled means that not everyone will have an eye 0- most people will just buy the PS4 and get the eye later if it is useful, and so devs will be cautious about adding too much support for it. Personally I am not fussed with the Kinect, as do not have the room to make the full use of it, and I prefer using the controller / remote to control the Xbox that talk to it, but there could be the odd game that uses it well. If the Xbox ONE can be used without the Kinect then I do not see why they can not release a version later without it. If the Xbox ONE can not be used without the Kinect then I probably will not get one, until I have more room.