Nintendo release Q1 sales figures

Nintendo has published its Q1 financials for the period running though April 1 to June 30.

Results show net sales of ¥81.5 billion for the quarter, with global Wii U sales now totalling 3.6 million, which shows net sales figures down 3.8% on the same quarter last year, which at the time earned Nintendo ¥84.8 billion.

The report adds that gross profit hit ¥36.4 billion, net profit hit ¥8.6 billion, and 63.7% of total net sales came from overseas markets.

Wii U sales for the quarter were just 160,000, while software managed 1.03 million. In fact the Wii sold more in Q1 than it's newer, shinier brother.

“Although the Wii U hardware sales still have a negative impact on Nintendo’s profits, gross profits were ¥36.4 billion mainly owing to the fact that the proportion of the software sales over net sales increased and the profitability of the Nintendo 3DS hardware improved.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf on 3DS was the best seller for Nintendo at 1.54 million units sold worldwide, while Luigi’s Mansion 2: Dark Moon sold 1.43 million units and Tomodachi Collection 1.39 million units.

Total sales for Animal Crossing: New Leaf now stand at 5.4 million copies proving that Nintendo still knows how to make a game.

Future titles may yet save the Wii U, since The Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World and Yoshi’s New Island are all slated for the system.

2014 will also see Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze more arrive for the system.

What do you think? Is Wii U in trouble, or will it manage to see out this lack of sales storm?

Edited On 31 Jul, 2013

Comments
The Wii U will be fine, there's plenty of system selling games due in the next year, and things will pick up. They managed to make a profit with virtually no games for it, so when the big name games hit they'll be rolling in it.
rustyV8's avatar
rustyV8 3 years ago
Yeah I agree, still find it hard to believe though that they launched a new system without having big titles such as Mariokart ready in time for the launch too.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Yeah but there even getting the big game launches wrong as well they should be releasing MArio Kart this year before christmas to get in on the Kids xmas market think they would sell a lot more consoles if they did that.
There will be Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda all before Christmas, they should do the job.
All I care about is WindWaker, i'm just hoping Nintendo put in some of the some of the cut content or at least have DLC plains for it
Just paid for my copy of Wind Waker HD, and DKJF, gotta love them free Amazon vouchers ;)
I'm one more away from getting my Amazon voucher but I have not bothered following up on the e-mails for the past few days and by the time I do the limit has been reached
I wonder what Kevin will say here later today. Probably just the usual
Yeah,you've got to stay on top of the surveys, some of them get filled up so quickly, managed to bump my earnings on them to £217 this month, going to be a dry month next month though, some of those big payouts take a while to earn.
Who cares what kevin has to say, he's as delusional as David.
I only do the Valued Opinions ones now as I can't be bothered with the other ones and I have a visual motivation for doing them. I done a few £1 ones a while ago but I forgot to sign in so I didn't get the rewards
Don't blame you, it's hard work doing as many as I do.
I got games to play damn it, everything else is secondary
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
How many do you fill out you 2 and what sort of returns do you get not thinking about myself more about my dad who is unemployed could be a way to make a bit of money
Well with the ones I do each one is worth 50p-£2 (£2 ones are rare) with each £10 earning you a voucher for your chosen store. I cba with the ones that give you points, mainly cos I don't know how many points it will take to pay off
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Fair enough so have to do a lot to make it worth your while and make sure your one of the first whatever number to fill in the survey.
Yep, it's like a full time job, well maybe a part time one, helps pay the bills though.
PrometheusFan's avatar